Setup & Software Discussions
2013 - DELL Latitude E5440 + RX 570 + EXP GDC 8.4

2013 - DELL Latitude E5440 + RX 570 + EXP GDC 8.4  

RSS

(@lucas_valadares)

Hey guys , sorry for my bad English, I'm Brazilian. I am currently setting up an eGPU setup and I had some problems, so I decided to post here, both to show my setup and to try to find a solution with you.

System Specs

- Dell Latitude E5440 14"
- CPU: i5 4310U (2 cores 4 threads)
- GPU: Intel HD 4400

eGPU Hardware

- Powercollor Radeon RX 570 4GB GDDR5 (Red Dragon)
- EXP GDC 8.4 Expresscard
- 220W PSU (wisecase ws-500-p42s)
- 20" AOC Monitor (1600x900) (VGA with HDMI Adapter)

Installation steps

- I connected a MOLEX Y adapter (2 IDE 4-pin to 8-pin) on the PSU to power the GPU
- I connected the rest, turned on the notebook and downloaded the GPU drivers.
- Before even installing the drivers, the notebook gave BSOD (the video card fans stopped spinning and came back several times until BSOD happened).
- After a few attempts, I was able to open the installer before BSOD, tried to install the drives and at 40% the screen went into standby mode and the fans stopped running.
- Restarting and trying several times, in one of the times I was able to install the drives, the card was recognized as RX 570 Series in the Windows device manager. (I noticed that after installing the drivers the fans did not rotate more, probably because of the economy system that only uses the fans in higher temperatures), but when starting a game to test, the screen froze and the monitor erased.
- I'm thinking it might be the PSU because it's weak, but I do not have a stronger one to test and I did not want to buy one without knowing if that's really the problem.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

Dell Latitude E5440, PowerCollor RedDragon RX 570, EXP GDC Beast 8.4 Expresscard

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

yes fans will stop spinning on GPU after initialized and not under load ( already cool temperature). Your PSU has enough watts but the adapter setup could be a problem. The "rail" of the PSU might not support that amount of power draw from what is normally for low watt peripheral devices like fans. Seeing the card recognized in windows is good progress.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

I think the 12V rail on that power supply will not provide enough power to run your gpu see diagrams

P42s 12V rail power - 156W
RX 570 consumption - 168w

Eu acho que o trilho de 12 volts dessa fonte nao pode produzir suficiente potencia para o GPU
P42s 12V trilho produzido - 156W
RX 570 consumo - 168w

rx 570

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
sabrefv
(@sabrefv)
Eminent Member

If you can find this in Brasil much cheaper Dell DA-2 220W
ebay link

this solution is much cheaper and provides 220w
esta solucao e muito mais em conta  providencia 220W

Lenovo Yoga 730, Dell XPS 13
Akitio Node, Gigabyte Aorus 1070
Sapphire Nitro RX 580, Nvidia GE Force GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
(@lucas_valadares)

I did the following:

- I uninstalled the AMD drivers with the DDU
- I disconnected the HDMI cable from the GPU
- I turned on the notebook, reinstalled the drivers without any problem

- I used MSI Afterburner to test the speed of the fans, which went to 100% without problems
- I used the GPU-Z to check the GPU sensors
- I used Aida-64 to do stress on the GPU

- Here I found the following information, without connection to the monitor, the GPU uses only 4 ~ 7W, but when I go to stress it, it goes up to 65 ~ 75W, at that moment the screen freezes and the system stops working, requiring a hard reset.

- Now I'm not sure if the problem is that the PSU is dying or if the GPU is not holding up (The GPU I hope is okay, it was bought a week ago, and the first use was with this setup).

Posted by: sabrefv

If you can find this in Brasil much cheaper Dell DA-2 220W
ebay link

this solution is much cheaper and provides 220w
esta solucao e muito mais em conta  providencia 220W

https://www.kabum.com.br/cgi-local/site/produtos/descricao_ofertas.cgi?codigo=92707

Posted by: esatamacmodular

yes fans will stop spinning on GPU after initialized and not under load ( already cool temperature). Your PSU has enough watts but the adapter setup could be a problem. The "rail" of the PSU might not support that amount of power draw from what is normally for low watt peripheral devices like fans. Seeing the card recognized in windows is good progress.

From what I'm seeing, the solution will be to exchange the PSU for a quality one and have the PCI-E 8 pins, because a cheaper one could cause a problem also because of the MOLEX adapter..

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

Dell Latitude E5440, PowerCollor RedDragon RX 570, EXP GDC Beast 8.4 Expresscard

ReplyQuote
(@lucas_valadares)

I changed the PSU for a 420w, which solved the problem I said before, now I can complete the Aida64 test and in the test the board reached a maximum of 114w, without any locking (this all without connecting to an external monitor), but at connect to an external monitor, the screen freezes in a short period of time and a forced restart is required. I do not know what it can be, but I'm thinking of taking the GPU to the factory warranty, because I bought it exclusively for eGPU and I used it only for that.

teste aida64

ReplyQuote
(@lucas_valadares)

I installed windows 7 to see if the freezing problem persisted, and now when it occurs, right after it gives BSOD with this information:

64936424 2374272936183472 98753646166016000 n

ReplyQuote