Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] I just want to ask before I purchase questions  

of  56
  RSS

nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@thegameplayer, the eGPU adapters that use a flat HDMI interconnect cable like this ADT-Link one or the EXP GDC 9.0 have examples of success at Gen3 8Gbps speed. It's the ones that use USB 3.0 5Gbps cable that are less likely to reliably transmit Gen3 signals.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
thegameplayer
(@thegameplayer)

@nando64, oh you mean something like this https://world.taobao.com/item/548352185850.htm? Is there the same kind of cable for EXP GDC that supports Gen3 out there?

EDIT:

@nando64, I order this https://world.taobao.com/item/548352185850.htm? I have an old AMD 5450, which is a low power card without any power connectors. Will the 4 pins from the adapter be able to power the card?

Only wanted to test the 5450 first, just to see if the adapter works before I move on to a strong gpu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
TDS_MG
(@tds_mg)

Hi there. I've been searching for a video card that fits well my needs (60 FPS) e doesn't give me so much trouble setting it up. Considering the concerns and driver issues for the GTX 1050 that are widely discussed on this forum, does someone know something about using a RX 560 docked in an EXP GDC 8.4D adapter? 

My hardware:

- 6Gb RAM, i5 560M, 250w PSU (exclusively reserved for the GPU), 128 Gb Crucial SSD...

Thank you in advance. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@thegameplayer, a HD5450 has a 19W TDP. This is much less that the 75W slot power the ADT-Link R43SL adapter's 4pin input connector can draw. Good to go.

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
T4V0
 T4V0
(@t4v0)

Hi is there any way to do a egpu setup with this laptop ? it doesn't have thunder bolt ports so I guess this could be done via usb 3.0 this laptop comes with 6 ports or mpcie ? Has anyone tried ? I didn't find a tread for this laptop. 

• I'd like to know if there's a way to upgrade its gpu in the future 

ReplyQuote
Bugra Yan
(@bugra_yan)

Hi Everyone,

I am quite new to the eGpu scene so please excuse me for my basic questions. I have a laptop with a decent graphics card in it 970m nvidia and I purchased a 8.4 beast egpu. I am planning on using a 1080 gtx graphics card with it. 

-Is it possible to use both the power of 970m and 1080 gtx together when playing games or can I only choose one ?

-Since I have no experience doing this, can you recommend a setup by setup guide to egpu laptop software/hardware setup ? 

Some of my friends think, eventhough there is a significant performance increase between 970m to 1080gtx its not enough to completely disable one to use the other.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

B.

ReplyQuote
ierpe
(@ierpe)

Hi, and thanks in advance for your time.
I'm a total noob here so please bare with me, I'll try to be as brief as possible!

My laptop :

• Lenovo Thinkpad T430s (2355HKU).
  • BIOS Version: G7ETA6WW (2.66 ).
  • CPU: Core i7-3520M (dual-core, 2.9Ghz).
  • Memory: 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz.
  • Internal graphics : Intel HD4000.
  • OSes : Win 7 and Debian (on separated SSD disks).
  • External Monitor : IIyama Prolite B2783QSU (27" - 2560x1440px - HDMI / DVI / VGA / YUV ).

Graphic card considered is nvidia gtx1050 ti as I have a low budget.

I understand that thunderbolt is the best/fastest option, but if I understand correctly, I can only achieve this with a Thunderbolt enclosure like the Akitio Thnuderbolts or Magma ExpressBox 1T which are quite pricey, correct?

The other option is a PCI-E adapters, correct?
I found on this very useful ressource the BPlus eGPU adapters, but I wouldn't know which one is best for my laptop + an nvidia gtx1050 ti + my monitor.

So here are my questions :

• What do I need exactly for PCI-E solution (adapters, cables, power supply, case) ? Especially between the PE4C V4.1, V3.0 and V2.1 adapters.

• Will performances be much lower that with a thunderbolt solution ?
  • Optional question : Will it work with linux? I am not really planning to play on Linux, but Debian is my main OS, I am using it to work so if it's also working with Linux it would a +

ReplyQuote
Bjorg
(@bjorg)

Yes, thanks for answering. I was figuring out this just right now. 

I took the plunge and just bought that 6 pin version. 

Now I have to decide which GPU to pair it with and power supply?

What (how powerful) would be the respective power supplies for RX570 and RX580?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@Bjorg, you need 75W slot power. Then each 6pin PCIe adds 75W and each 8pin PCIe adds 150W. Add them all up to get maximum power draw within cabling capacity.

If you want to be more specific, look at TDP rating of the card or even more accurate the measured power consumption at full load on techpowerup.com's review of your candidate card.

Bjorg liked
ReplyQuote
alex-chu
(@alex-chu)

I just can not decide what to connect the adapter to expresscard 2.0 or m pci-e. Dell Vostro laptop, i7 2670qm processor, 8 Gb of RAM. Advise, what is better to connect for a faster speed or there will not be a noticeable difference? Video card I want to connect geforce 1060 6gb.

2011 17" Dell Vostro 3750 (GT525M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1070 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  56