Notifications
Clear all

ADT-Link R43SG?  

RSS

Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

I don't see many people using the ADT-Link R43SG.  Is this because of its price and limited availability (and that the other R43S* products do their job just fine) or is there some known problem with it?

System: Hades Canyon NUC

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

Your system is Mpcie or m2?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

@mr-ribeiro I have an M.2 M Key. 

Is there any well known major flaws with the ADT-Link R43SG like there is with the EXP GDC 's?  This adapter is looking like the one that fits my needs best but I want to hear from the community before I make a decision.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

They have a Thunderbolt 3 version that costs an additional $200. Might as well get a real eGPU box then.

The R43SG part number makes more sense than the R3G category as R43 is the part number for their (4) M.2 to (3) PCIe x16 adapter.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

Posted by: joevt

They have a Thunderbolt 3 version that costs an additional $200. Might as well get a real eGPU box then.

I have no desire for the TB3 version, I am hoping that I get a bit better/more stable bandwidth with the M.2 M Key.

ReplyQuote
defvs
(@defvs)

Differences between the R43SG and other R43xx is only the design. The R43SG is a "complete" package, which comes with a stand and allows to plug in directly a PSU 24-pin connector and other stuff. Better if you don't want to mess with the "paperclip" method to turn on your PSU.
The R43Sx (the x being either L, R or F, see the differences here) is just the M.2 connector + cable + PCIe x16 connector. You'll have to power it using a 4-pin Mini-Molex, but you'll need to jumpstart your PSU.

If you're new to eGPU, use the R43SG. Makes for a better and easier setup. Both are good and leads to the same strong PCIe signal.

Laptop : Mi Notebook Pro, i5-8250u undervolted + TDP unlocked, 8G RAM 256G nvme, MX150-2...
eGPU : Asus STRIX 1060-6G running over ADT R43SL (15cm) M.2 with Gen3 x4

Greetings from France !

FHQ liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

We're not talking about any R43S(L,R,F).

We're talking about the R43SG and how R3G is a synonym.

Look at the page at  http://www.adtlink.com/product/R43SG.html
It says Product ID is "R3G" and Product description or Product model is "R43SG".

There also exist:
R23SG
R53SG
R63SG

What the numbers mean:
1 = PCIe x1
2 = PCIe x4
3 = PCIe x16
4 = M.2 (NVMe key M)
5 = M.2 (WiFi key A+E)
6 = mPCIe
7 = U.2
8 = PCIe x8

They all have 3 because they are all x16 for the graphics card. The S is part of the connector type:
SF = straight (flat?)
SR = right angle
SL = left angle
SS = dual edge (male to male)
FF = (female to female)
SG = graphics

R3G is not sufficient to distinguish it (R43SG) from the other variants. At least R3G describes the x16 PCIe slot part of the product. The 4 describes the connection to your computer (M.2 M Key).

https://www.adt.link/product/R3G.html
https://www.adt.link/photo/R43SG.html
http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/R4%20Series.html
http://www.adtlink.com/product/R48SF.html
https://item.jd.com/30977473910.html

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

FHQ liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@leto_atreides , prelim testing of a ADT-Link R43SG (25cm, 50cm) and R43SL (25cm) as x4 3.0 M.2 eGPUs using a RX 580 and GTX 1080Ti found they are rock stable even if attach a further 35cm extender. Their German interconnect cabling  maintains superb signal integrity.

Only difference between the R43SL and R43SG is the price, packaging and power connectivity options. The R43SL is smaller and simpler so would be a better fit for a custom enclosure, base, or if wish to detach the video card and wrap it over the top cover of the LCD when mobile.

Then again, @jkeychen adapted an enclosure over a R43SG along with an extender to achieve easy docked connectivity and protection for his eGPU during it's transport. See:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-6-dell-latitude-e5570-r7-m370-gtx-1070-32gbps-m2-adt-r3g-win10-jkeychen/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

Posted by: nando4

@leto_atreides , prelim testing of a ADT-Link R43SG (25cm, 50cm) and R43SL (25cm) as x4 3.0 M.2 eGPUs using a RX 580 and GTX 1080Ti found they are rock stable even if attach a further 35cm extender. 

I was thinking about using a very short extender (10 cm?) so that I can essentially make a M.2 port on my computer that is accessible externally for more modularity (easier to disconnect the eGPU), are there any cables that are recommended around here?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Leto Atreides

I was thinking about using a very short extender (10 cm?) so that I can essentially make a M.2 port on my computer that is accessible externally for more modularity (easier to disconnect the eGPU), are there any cables that are recommended around here?

@leto_atreides, the aforementioned @jkeychen guide has a tested M.2 NVME extender with great results:
https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2016-15-6-dell-latitude-e5570-r7-m370-gtx-1070-32gbps-m2-adt-r3g-win10-jkeychen/

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

@nando4
That extension is not what I am looking for.  It has a fairly large PCB that extends past the port.  I want something like that without the huge PCB.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@nando4
That extension is not what I am looking for. It has a fairly large PCB that extends past the port. I want something like that without the huge PCB.

Let us know when you find it.

@nando4
 I really hope this gets me a performance bump over the Razer Core X.

Very much so. Prelim testing finding TB3 isn't handicapped so much by bandwidth as it is by the TB3 encoder/decoder speed.

If price is an issue look at the US$30 JEYI Explicit in the buyer's guide. They claim Gen3 performance plus it has a detachable 30cm cable [ advised cable length by messaging].

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

@nando4
You replied quick, I rewrote my comment after looking at the product some (although the quoted point is still relevant)

I bought the R43SG already, it has the Dell DA-2 port on it which makes it a much nicer solution (I don't need an ugly, bulky PSU).  I do want to extend my M.2 port though so I don't have this adapter stuck hanging out of the case, its bound to get ruined with the amount of times I move this box around.

The detachable cable of the Jeyi is a nice feature, I wish the R43SG had it.

ReplyQuote
FHQ
 FHQ
(@fhq)

I have the R43SG. No problems whatsoever, runs great.

Also tried adding an extender (R44SF) and unfortunately it doesn't work well that way due to the reduction in signal quality. Apparently adding any extra connector is what causes this, which makes me somewhat skeptical about Jeyi's detachable cable. It'd certainly be very convenient though.

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 w/ Exp GDC 8.5c via ExpressCard & M.2
Lenovo Y700-17ISK w/ ADT-Link R43SG-TU via NVMe (More Info)
EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ (Part # 04G-P4-3975-KR)
PSU: Dell DA-2 D220P-01 (18A), Tyco CAD240121 (20A)

ReplyQuote