Hi Guys

My Setup
Alienware m14x R1 Early 2011 with GT 555
Processor -  I7-2670QM
Ram - 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600mhz
EXP GDC 8.5c
Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
PSU - Cooler Master RS-600-PCAR-E3
Bios - A08 Ulocked with hotplug enabled (Checked and Confirmed working with HWInfo64), Primary Adapter is IGFX (only this makes the dGPU go away and keeping the system in working stage.

So, the problem is that I continue to get Error 43 on Windows 10. I have tried to fix it using the Driver workaround provided by GynTh0r, inxftw, IgorGIV, shoes and lot of other users. When using Windows 7, I get a Error 12: (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use). After a lot of trying, I decided to continue my testing using a old GT210 card which surely should not have any hotplug related issues but ended up having same problem. My further tries continues with GT210 only.

Things I tried
Keeping the ATX Power switch to on.
Changing the timing on exp gdc adapter to all available levels (65,125)

What actually happened?
Surprisingly while using the GT210 and keeping the above 2 things, the GPU worked twice randomly out of more than 20+ tries. I tried to repeat the same steps as before but could not succeed. On multiple restarts it randomly worked twice. The thing worth noticing is that both times, when my eGpu worked, my LAN gave me Unidentified Network and Internet was not functional (well, thats not an issue to me, as I havewifi connectivity too). On multiple reseting of adapter too, it did not work. So, I assume this is related to resource allocation issue as I read in Nando's thread.

I tried going through the Intel based DSDT override process, as provided by Nando. I succeded in getting the Large Memory Area but could get my PCIE allocated to it. Possibly, my file wasn't compiled properly as I got one error which I managed to rectify which was related to a string for some hardware id but may be the way I fixed was not correct. 

Please suggest. Let me know if there is any other info you want from me.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member

Wait for it to get through the BIOS, ond then plug your video board into the laptop. Give that a go. It might work.

My Homemade Gaming Laptop

2009 15" Samsung P510 [0th,2C,M] + HD 5750 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
EnDLesS
(@endless)

Will it be same if connect hdmi to exp gdc adapter instead of connecting mpcie to laptop?

and to be clear, you mean to start the laptop with hotplug enabled and once its in windows, connect exp gdc? Should I be keeping atx power on at that point?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member

Yes, it is all right if you plug the HDMI end into the EXP GDC instead. That would have the same outcome.

Do it both ways; plug it in right after the laptop has done going through the BIOS; ond if that does not work, plug it in once it has gotten into Windows the next time.

Yes, have it plugged into the mains brick ond switched on before plugging the HDMI plug into the GDC.

2009 15" Samsung P510 [0th,2C,M] + HD 5750 @ 2Gbps-EC1 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
EnDLesS
(@endless)

Well, I had it tried connecting to HDMI when windows is loaded, will try again post BIOS and before windows loads. I have also been trying to get some help from the below article but things are not really clear. The user has not really mentioned how he actually made it work.

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/alienware-14-gtx-970-exp-gdc-8-4d-mpcie-experience-share/

Another question, What specific are we trying to fix using the method described by you? The resource allocation issue? Please be noted, that I have removed all DSDT over ride settings and the system is running like normal as of now.

Thanks for help.

ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member

On some laptops, the BIOS does not "like" it when it sees the outside video board. That is what we are looking to patch here. The thought behind it is that it will work all right if the BIOS does not find the video board, so we wait for the BIOS to go through before plugging in the video board.

You're welcome.

ReplyQuote
EnderVAD
(@endervad)

The reason is actually EXP GDC itself. Looks like version 8.5c is pretty much faulty. I've been trying to get it working for some time and it just didn't. Once I changed to $7 adapter it started working right away. Well, except that I'm in progress sorting out crashes, but the thing is that it works.

ASUS K53SM (K53SV Rev. 3.2): Intel Core i7-2670QM (HD 3000) + NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M (disabled); 16Gb RAM; latest Windows 10
eGPU: $7 PCE164P-N03 (mini-PCIe) + MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4G OC via internal display

ReplyQuote