Setup & Software Discussions
Any L702x EGPU users here ? Can we talk ? 🙂

Any L702x EGPU users here ? Can we talk ? 🙂  

RSS

TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

[email protected] 

As i successfully installed a EGPU (EVGA GTX 1060 SC + DELL POWER) on my L502x now is the

time to do the same to my "new" L702x with 16GB RAM, and an 2860QM 2.5 GHZ Quad Core 

with brandnew battery and Full HD Display... Its a old machine but still GREAT, i just love the JBL Sound on those two machines.

The reason i started this thread today is, that i can't find a DSDT File for the L702x and... i just dont want to go through the hassle of creating one.

So if YOU have a DSDT File for the L702x (GT555 and two RAM Slots mainboard) could you please send me the link or better post here so others

will find in the future through google ? 

Also i have some questions regarding the L702x, advise really appreciated:

1. Can i use the WWAN Slot like on my L502x and a WIFI Card at the same time ?

2.How did you do it with the cable ? I want to see your solutions for the position problem of the PCIE-Mini Slot as hardware modifications of the case are necessary in order

to use the caddy with my 5TB HDD and at the same time EGU!

3. Is the calbe then not in the way of a external mouse ? How did you resolve this issue ?

4. Will it work with the EXP GDC ? I read that there are some problems with L702x and EXP GDC but maybe its resolved already ?

Greetings from Germany and to all EGPU-Users especially to all L702x users who think this is still a great laptop in 2019

especially with a powerfull EGPU!

My specs:

- XPS 17 L702x 17"

- 2860QM 2,5 - 3,2 GHZ

- 2x8 = 16 GBRAM (soon 4x8 = 32GB)

- 256GB Samsung 850 rpo (Windows)

- 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (Premiere Projects Data + Macrium Reflect Backups)

- 5TB HDD in the Caddy-Adapter (yes it fits there... very tide but it works!)

- EVGA GTX 1060 SC 6GB

- EXP GDC BEAST + Official Case (runs on gen 2 pcie mini)

- Full HD Glossy TrueLife Screen

TheGermanGuy

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

2011 15" Dell XPS15 L502x GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

A question: For now i get about 80% of performance off of my GTX 1060 SC.

Would i get the same 80% if i would choose a much more powerfull EGPU like GTX 1080 SC ?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@thegermanguy , performance will improve with a faster GPU but the bandwidth limit will remain. To get near-desktop levels of performance suggest move over to a M.2 eGPU, offering x4 3.0 bandwidth with a 6th-gen or newer Intel CPU. ADT-Link R43SG M.2 eGPU adapters are now a similar price to an EXP GDC.

https://egpu.io/best-egpu-buyers-guide/#m2-interface

Consider for gaming, M.2 versus TB3 on a i7-8750H XPS 9570 here sees Forza 4 giving 50% more FPS for the former (105 vs 70) with a GTX 1080 Ti. M.2 is also not tied into the Intel/Apple ecosystem so an AMD Ryzen M.2 eGPU is a possibility. That would be great bang-per-buck.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

This is how i did the hardware mod...

Nando which m.2 budget laptop would be great in my case ?

this are my specs:

- XPS 17 L702x 17"

- 2860QM 2,5 - 3,2 GHZ

- 2x8 = 16 GBRAM (soon 4x8 = 32GB)

- 256GB Samsung 850 rpo (Windows)

- 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (Premiere Projects Data + Macrium Reflect Backups)

- 5TB HDD in the Caddy-Adapter (yes it fits there... very tide but it works!)

- EVGA  GTX 1060  SC 6GB

EXP GDC  BEAST + Official Case (runs on gen 2 pcie mini)

- Full HD Glossy TrueLife Screen

I did a test with video rendering (which is my +1 usecase) and i was able to render a 2h webinar video 

in a 1:30 minutes with Adobe Premiere CS6. I think thats great, right ? Would i get performance increase

in video rendering if i use a m.2 Laptop ?

@Nando O.O

Is it possible to get m.2 with a adapter like this ????

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Adapter-Portable-Performance-Samsung/dp/B07K6GPXDV#customerReviews

Also.. righ now i have to hotplug the BEAST in egpu setup. Would it be possible to use a HDMI switch

to ease the process and go more easy on the hdmi plugs ? I want to plugin only the PCIE Mini to BEast cable

so if press the button its off and in egpu setup i just have to press the button the get the signal... 

But i assume that it wont work... as its not a hdmi signal, right ? Any other option for integrating a switch somewhere ?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

Posted by: @thegermanguy

Is it possible to get m.2 with a adapter like this ????

No. That's USB. Your computer needs to have a free M.2 slot (socket 3 - NVMe) to connect a M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter/cable. A different socket M.2 slot or mPCIe slot will only be PCIe x1.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

@nando4

So how exactly will it perform.

Lets say i get a graphics card which is 300% performance of the GTX1060

What exactly happens ? you said performance will be higher but the bandwith limit will be the same... meaning ???

If i get 80% of 300% Performance GTX1060 i will be absolutely fine with it... only as example

but i dont get the bandwith thing. What exactly are the symptoms of that bandwith limit ?

This post was modified 2 days ago

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Honorable Member

@thegermanguy

2017-13-MacBook-pro-vega5632gbps-tb3-mantiz-venus-macos-10-14-3-win10-eightarmedpet
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/rtx2080ti-pcie-scaling-benchmarks-techpowerup/

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

@joevt

Thank you for this information. So basically one can say that its always rougly 80% of the peformance
even with way more powerfull graphics card. Thats great news.

ReplyQuote