Asking For Help. Lenovo Thinkpad 64bit Windows 7 Professonal T430, V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Series With Expresscard. Many Issues.  

RSS

Bogdan_Gordin
(@bogdan_gordin)
January 25, 2018 3:48 am  

Greetings,

My name is Bogdan. Recently my brother purchased his first desktop gaming computer with own personal setup, made me jealous. That make me think "Hey! Is it possible to like hard-wire a GPU into a laptop?". This question led me to discover External Graphics Processing Unit (eGPU). With a few Youtube video guides watched and Reddit posts read. I decided to... Well... Unleash my office laptop.

I have required these three items:

1) V8.0 EXP GDC Beast Series With Expresscard: https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-External-Independent-Expresscard-AC773/dp/B0725B6L99/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_147_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QNTAHM1HM2HRSDKY29ZP

2) EVGA 550W N1 Series: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYGJL0E/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_lruAAb7761RK0

3)ASUS GeForce GTX 4GB 1050Ti: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MG9AKKZ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_BquAAbG2P71BK

I plugged the cables to the current spots, nothing is sparking into flames. The GPU lights up and fans are spinning. Installed the drives from the provided CD. Updated my BIOS to the latest version (Says its 2.74). In Device Manager under Display adapters I updated my Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000. But... Lemme just list the issues.

1) In BIOS under Config --> Display I see nothing except for "Boot Display Device [ThinkPad LCD]". As I understand I should also see "Graphics Device" and also possibly "OS Detection for NVIDIA Optimus".

2) In Device Manager under Display adapters I don't see the 1050Ti.

3) When I have the Expresscard plugged into my turned off laptop. The laptop shutsdown immediately after turning it on, then it turns on again by itself. And then it doesn't continue past the ThinkPad logo screen, it just stays there, frozen. Only when I have the Expresscard put away and turn it on it again turns off, turns on and then passes the ThinkPad logo screen onto to the Starting Windows screen.

4) Lastly my external monitor says no signal. Thus I used my laptop's screen to troubleshoot and what not...

Further more KenZei ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/lenovo-thinkpad-x230-t430-gtx-1050-ti-exp-gdc-beast-v8-via-expresscard-no-external-monitor/) has similar setup with success.

Whelp that's all. I'll continue searching online and be on watch in the mean time. Here is my email for contact if any of you need it: [email protected]

Thanks all,

Bogdan.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Bogdan_Gordin
(@bogdan_gordin)
January 30, 2018 9:56 am  

Got some progress!

I am not getting the famous reports of Error 12 or Error 43. In device manager it says it works properly. But there are issues...

• The NVIDIA Control Panel 8.1.910.0 keeps crashing every time I launch it. Here is what it reads:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    nvcplui.exe
  Application Version:    8.1.910.0
  Application Timestamp:    580afea3
  Fault Module Name:    nvcplui.exe
  Fault Module Version:    8.1.910.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    580afea3
  Exception Code:    40000015
  Exception Offset:    00000000001cb3e9
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    88bf
  Additional Information 2:    88bf06a985b228d3348fb27596748e26
  Additional Information 3:    2b90
  Additional Information 4:    2b90f7c219cbc38d66afcc30703263e5

But now it reads... Somehow...

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    nvcplui.exe
  Application Version:    8.1.940.0
  Application Timestamp:    59f355cc
  Fault Module Name:    NVCPL.DLL
  Fault Module Version:    8.17.13.8813
  Fault Module Timestamp:    59f352a1
  Exception Code:    c0000005
  Exception Offset:    000000000006f0b7
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:    a831
  Additional Information 2:    a8311ac79ea5e23492ed26e1c1c52886
  Additional Information 3:    cd12
  Additional Information 4:    cd121023cd9f1614154d036497653530

But its fixable with either removing that nvcpl.dll from the directory or replacing it with other versions of it. I downloaded all from https://www.dll-files.com/nvcpl.dll.html.

• Now when I run the NVIDIA Control Panel it reads "You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU".

• My HDMI input external monitor keeps reading that it doesn't have signal. Unless I MUST use a VGA cable instead.

• In my Screen Resolution options I do have extended mode chosen on "Display device on: VGA".

• The GPU-z clearly reads both of my Intel HD Graphics 4000 and my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti

• On power up my screen is frozen on Thinkpad logo. Only when I don't have the EGPU plugged in it doesn't freeze. BUT! I sort of found a solution? When you turn on your laptop hold F2 to enter Windows Boot Manger and choose the Windows operating system. That way it final starts my Windows... Its weird cause its a like 1/5 chance that It'll open that Windows Boot Manager successfully.

Thanks,

Bogdan.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
PinguinCraft
(@pinguincraft)
January 30, 2018 4:37 pm  

Hi,

I've got the same Laptop, and also the same troubles. I'm not 100% sure about your troubles with the NVIDIA Driver issue, but I can give you help for Booting the Laptop; 

For some odd reason the T430 doesn't likes eGPU's on the Expresscard Slot, that's probably why it was freezing in the POST. You could put the ExpressCard in every time after the Post when Windows is booting, but for your Setup there is a much simpler Way:

You have to unplug the GPU from the Adapter, and on the bottom-left of the Adapter there are two little cutouts. In these, there are two sliders, you want to choose the right one, and try to slide it in the middle position where it says "7s". With that, the eGPU is first starting to boot 7 seconds after you turned the Laptop on.

Hope it works for you!

ReplyQuote
(@bones_hazard)
February 4, 2018 10:05 am  

Update BIOS, Make sure to turn off secure boot and set Pci Gen signal to auto(so it stays on 2) in bios.
Thinkpad booting it is a little funny while using an external screen.
Keep the expresscard connected and boot ,BUT Connect display cable to Egpu only AFTER POST , else it'll result in 'No Signal' on external display.

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
ChimyChunga
(@chimychunga)
February 5, 2018 8:18 pm  

Hey,

What driver version are you using for your Nvidia card? Did you use the 'Russian Method'? (install v368.~ then update to a known working version?)

If not, search the forums. I believe the 1050ti requires some basic modifications to the drivers.

ReplyQuote