Setup & Software Discussions
Asrock Deskmini 310W with R43UL cable. eGPU not detected.

Asrock Deskmini 310W with R43UL cable. eGPU not detected.  

RSS

veveaucent
(@veveaucent)

Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have an Asrock 310W STX and I connected an R43UL cable to the M.2 Port to a GTX 1060. The riser and the GTX1060 are powered by a 300W ATX PSU. I have used the paperclip method to turn the ATX PSU on. The GTX 1060 powers on with my system however when I go into Device Manager it seems as though the riser, but not the GTX 1060 is detected. If anyone has any idea where to go from here that would be a start.

M.2 NVMe M Key to PCIe x4 x16 Cable

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

An M.2 riser doesn't get detected in the Device Manager since it is entirely a passive device, essentially an extension cable. What do you see in the Device Manager that you think is the riser? Uploading a screenshot would help.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
veveaucent
(@veveaucent)

Here's a screenshot. From what I've read this doesn't look like a device ID for a GTX 1060. I've also tried installing the Nvidia drivers and it fails to detect a compatible display device.
https://ibb.co/GpMpSMP

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Vendor 8086 is Intel. The Device ID points to this being the Cannon Lake PCH SPI (Flash) controller. This doesn't look like anything to do with the riser, or the eGPU. I think your system doesn't detect the eGPU at all.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
veveaucent
(@veveaucent)

Any idea where to go from here? The GPU seems to be getting power and the GPU fans only spin when I turn on my PC so there's definitly some connectivity going on there.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

You can try to take a look here. The worst case would be if your system implements a whitelist for the m.2 slot, but that would be pretty uncommon for desktops. Do you have any m.2 slot related settings in the BIOS?

ReplyQuote
veveaucent
(@veveaucent)

I can't find any PCIe related settings in the BIOS. It clearly categorized the M.2 slot as a storage device in BIOS and says if storage is detected. No options are given. I can't jump the port using a wifi card either as this board comes with 2 M.2 ports. The GPU is connected via the PCIe 3.0 4x M key port and the wifi is through a different M.2 E? key port. In any case it doesn't fit in the M key port. Is this a situation where Setup 1.35 would be a recommended purchase? I'm more that happy to purchase it if there is a high chance it can resolve my issues.

ReplyQuote
xdanvitox
(@xdanvitox)

Has there been a solution found to this? Having the same issue.

ReplyQuote
mantide
(@mantide)
Eminent Member

Any update? Has anyone successfully done this?

ReplyQuote