Notifications
Clear all

ASUS X454YI mPCIe eGPU  

RSS

PvtNewb
(@pvtnewb)

Hi, so after searching the forums I can't find the answer for my question. It's regarding my laptop's ability to use mPCIe based eGPU. My laptop is ASUS X454YI with AMD A8-7410 APU with R5 iGPU and alongside that there's R5 M320 dGPU. I've seen some people said that ASUS laptops/notebooks don't have any WLAN whitelist, is this true? And the second one is, some people said that AMD APUs can't use eGPU, is this also true? It'll we wonderful if someone can answer my questions. Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

@PvtNewb i can confirm that ASUS DOES NOT whitelist the wlan ports,though some users here were still facing connection problems but switching from MBR to GPT(UEFI) fixed it.About the AMD APU,honestly you are the first one i see asking this question,in my opinion it probably won't work,at least not on internal screen,not sure if external is involved.Maybe @itsage could give you some more info,he is more familiar with the AMD side then i am.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
PvtNewb
(@pvtnewb)

@dani_tx Thanks for the answer! I can confirm that both of my OS (Win7x64 & Win10x64) are running on GPT and UEFI. How about the driver? Should I disable the dGPU? (The laptop GPUs are GCN, and so the RX 560, they use the same Adrenalin driver)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

@PvtNewb based on every successful implementation and feedback here it's recommended the dGPU to be disabled because it interferes with the eGPU,doesn't matter that they both can use the same driver.But this is based on systems with Intel CPU,in your case as i mention already i'm not even sure that it will work so it's basically trial and error with you.You want to go that route,sure,just don't expect any assurances from me or anyone else here.No one knows is it going to work or not,you have to tell us.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote