ASUS x750jb  

Knight of Astora
(@knight-of-astora)
August 1, 2017 7:23 pm  

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a bios replacement/hack for an ASUS K750JB to access graphic options.

If someone had experiences with similar ASUS hardware x750 generation please let me know.

Plan is to connect a 1060 3gb through the mPCIe with an EXP GDC. 

Specs :

ASUS K750JB

I7 - 4700HQ

Intel graphics + NVidia GT 740m (2gb ram)

12 gb ram ddr3

ssd

win 10 - 64

Many thanks for your input.

Cheers !

ReplyQuote
Knight of Astora
(@knight-of-astora)
August 3, 2017 5:59 pm  

Update, change of plan :

Asus GTX 970 strix directcu II OC instead of the ASUS dual GTX 1060 3g, the idea is to avoid the error 43 problems...

As expected the card 970 is not recognized because the mPCIe port is not hot plugged and the BIOS has no graphic options nor hot plug enabling.

My actuel BIOS is the ASUS k750jb . 207  (AMI apparently).

Has anyone tried this following procedure to change the BIOS succesfully (or not) ? http://voltground.com/haven/threads/102/

Many thanks for your input.

Cheers

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
August 3, 2017 9:24 pm  

DO NOT USE the guide from Voltground unless you want to brick your laptop !!!!!!!

Instead use this one which is proven working: 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2011-asus-n53sn-r9-390x4gbps-mpcie2-pe4c-v3-0-win10-doink/#post-5980

P.S. GTX 970 is not affected by the hotplug problem so by stating that even with it the laptop couldn't recognize the eGPU looks like you need to look elsewhere 

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Knight of Astora
(@knight-of-astora)
August 5, 2017 5:17 pm  

Many thanks to dani29m for your input otherwise I would have rushed into risky BIOS modification before testing other things.

Update on the project :

Status : eGPU not detected by the computer.  Symptoms and tries :

1.  mPCIe port does not appear if PC is booting without wifi mPCIe card (whitelisting problem?)

2. EXP GDC : I set the ATX PWR on ON (idea is to help detection)

3. Tried to boot with the wifi card and than switch it with the mPCIe cable of the graphic card : the mPCIe port is there but empty with no detection of the graphic card.  If I put back the wifi card, it is detected in the mPCIe port.

4. Tried to put tape on the pin 22 PERTS # pinout (ASUS notebooks apparently known to suffer from the issue)

5. Tried to put tape on the pin 2   3.3V_RUN

6. Tried points    2+3  -   2+3+4  -   2+3+4+5

If you guys have any ideas of what to do/try next, please let me know.  Seems I have to go through BIOS modifications after all for this whitelisting thing...  Many thanks for your input.

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
August 5, 2017 8:43 pm  

Well i'm glad that at least one person listens before decides to do some stupid s@%$#t like others did for example:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/hotplug-in-bios-does-nothing/#post-16531.

Anyhow,let's see if i can help you with your questions as best as i can of course,so.....

1. ASUS doesn't do whiteliststing on their laptops(period) so scratch that.(even if it did unlocking the bios won't solve the problem,there is no such a option to remove whitelistng in any bios)

2.In some cases this might help but in your case(no detection at all) i'd say you need to look at your power supply first.It might not providing enough power or Amps or it could be faulty.

3.Scratch that too,again,it all pointing out to either faulty PSU or the EXP GDC is broken.

4.Well sure,but this was issue with older ASUS laptops then mine is and mine didn't have that problem also yours is newer then mine sooooo.....we scratching that as well.(same goes for 5. and 6.)

About unlocking the BIOS. Well if you are brave enough and willing to take the chance sure,it's always better,it gives you the freedom to customize many things and disable others useless ones so it doesn't hurt to have it unlocked,BUT,if you doing it only so you can enable the HOTPLUG i'll say this again: You need the hot plug enabled only if you using GPU from the 10xx series.With the GTX 970 that you have(keep it for now at least until you got the issue resolved for testing) it should be plug and play like mine was.

Keep us(or at least me,i don't see anybody else here trying to help,i guess if you don't have MAC or not showing off every day with some fancy gadgets and expensive GPU's you not worthy)  posted on the progress but for now focus on the PSU and EXP GDC.

EDIT: Make sure the delay switches on the EXP GDC are set to their original position(i remember i was messing with mine at one point and the eGPU didn't get recognized,so double check it just in case)

eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
(@davide_preziusi)
August 22, 2017 7:02 pm  

I have EXACTLY The same pc, ECACTLY  the same GPU (STRIX GTX970) and EXACTLY The same problem! Are you sure that our laptop are not affected by whitelisting? 

Thank you! 

ReplyQuote
tauio111
(@tauio111)
August 23, 2017 10:26 am  
Posted by: Davide Preziusi

I have EXACTLY The same pc, ECACTLY  the same GPU (STRIX GTX970) and EXACTLY The same problem! Are you sure that our laptop are not affected by whitelisting? 

Thank you! 

I have a X54LY, though I have noticed alot of similarities between ASUS laptops between several generations.

ASUS does not whitelist, even if it may seem so. There seems to be a problem with bios conflicting with the connected egpu. There are cases where some ASUS laptop users have gotten the laptops to post perfectly with simple settings in the unlocked bios without needing to mask any pins or etc. For my machine those settings for example didnt work.

It is also funny to note that if you actually disable the pci-e port in bios, the laptop still stalls at post, in the case of whitelisting, this wouldnt be able to happen as the bios does not pull an hw ID to check it against. Either the BIOS options for that does not function correctly , or the boot is actually stalled by some electrical mismatch.

ReplyQuote
(@goffredo_ventur)
August 24, 2017 5:17 pm  

I have asus a52jc my egpu worked fine after setting bios i did bios update (ka52jc.216) for a ram change from that time i can not use my egpu again, i have no more graphic adaptation on bios

ReplyQuote
(@davide_preziusi)
August 28, 2017 7:12 pm  

Thank you all! I installed Last bios from Asus, still no luck, i think i should Take a bios mod! Meanwhile i bought Nando's riser. I'll wait for it, first of modify my bios!

ReplyQuote
(@davide_preziusi)
November 1, 2017 8:17 am  

I MADE IT!!!!

Simply installed windows in uefi mode (changed also partition tabel in uefi mode), Asus started not with bios, But with uefi mode....and it simply worked! 

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 1, 2017 8:48 am  

@Davide, good work. Would you like to submit an implementation guide documenting what critical steps were required to get your eGPU going? Am interested if you are using the ultra budget $7 mPCIe adapter.

2013 15" Dell Latitude E6540 HD8790M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + macOS 10.13.5 & Win10
2013 15" HP ZBook 15 K610M + RX580@4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win10
--
eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
November 1, 2017 5:27 pm  
Posted by: Davide Preziusi

I MADE IT!!!!

Simply installed windows in uefi mode (changed also partition tabel in uefi mode), Asus started not with bios, But with uefi mode....and it simply worked! 

I also think that this is the right way of doing it but it's limited.According to nando4 in order to use the setup 1.35 you need to use MBR partition(aka legacy mode),so users with ASUS laptops who are facing the same issue(no eGPU detection) and don't need the setup 1.35 for further tweaking should install windows in UEFI mode with GPT partition.

@nando4 this is good to be noted in the guideline due to successful implementation by Davide Preziusi

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@davide_preziusi)
December 3, 2017 6:05 pm  

Hello guys, sorry for my absence, but i was very busy.

Anyway, like I said, I simply installed my windows using UEFI (first I had "legacy mode", so it didn't recognized eGPU).

I'm using EXP GDC v.8.4d because the $7 riser never arrived to me

Feel free to ask me anything you want.

Best regards, Davide!

ReplyQuote
zakarias01
(@zakarias01)
February 1, 2018 4:01 pm  

@davide_preziusi thank you for the explanations 

i installed windows 10 il UEFI mode like you said, but i have the same problem when i turn on my laptop with the eGPU connected (i use a msi gtx 1060)

it keeps freezing on ASUS logo windows doesn't start

ReplyQuote
Pixuhl
(@pixuhl)
February 26, 2018 7:21 pm  

Hello all, I have an ASUS x555LB laptop and I've been experiencing the same issues. No GPU dedication, hotswapping doesn't work, etc. I just purchased the 1.35 software and it is prompting me to re-install Windows with Legacy MBR instead of UEFI with GPT. So what is the better route? Is it MBR installation and the ability to use the 1.35 software, or is a simple re-install with UEFI suffice? I'm pretty sure I'm currently using UEFI/GPT partitioning so I'm not sure how a re-install would be changing anything? In my early troubleshooting stages, I did turn on Legacy CSM support in the bios with no change to my situation.

Thanks for any help.

ASUS x555LB
Intel Core i5 5200u
8GB DDR3 1600
750GB HDD

ReplyQuote