Setup & Software Discussions
Best choice of egpu for T430?

Best choice of egpu for T430?  

RSS

L242RU5
(@l242ru5)
Jun 7, 2019 4:41 pm  

Currently I have a T430, upgraded to an i7 3630hq and an 1080p ips display. I'd like to enhance its graphics performance on the cheap, my laptops hd4000 leaves me wanting. I did some research but couldn't make up my mind.

Currently I have a gtx 960 4gb lying around, what would be the performance using an expresscard beast and the internal 1080p display? I would make my own enclosure, and use a DA-2 power brick. Where I live the gtx 970 became very cheap, is it worth getting that one over the 960? Could I still use the DA-2? How does the bottle-necking work, as I understand it you lose quite a lot of performance by using the internal display with on an x1 lane, would there even be an uplift in performance?

Games I play are not that demanding, stellaris, endless space, dragon age origins, rimworld ...

I appreciate your help!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
Jun 7, 2019 8:29 pm  

The internal screen via Expresscard does work, but performance is lacking. That said, I have quite a bit of experience with Stellaris and Rimworld, and both should run reasonably well even on the internal, and the performance is still going to be miles ahead of the HD4000 (I have a T430s, so I have some experience with an eGPU on a similar system).

I'd recommend you give the GTX960 a go first and see what the performance is like. Beast+DA-2 is not a major investment, so it is worth a shot.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
L242RU5
(@l242ru5)
Jun 9, 2019 2:01 pm  

Thanks for the input, and you're right, it would set me back 50 euro's, even if it's going at 50 percent it would still be comparable to a mx150 or so

I did see a vid where some guy used a gtx 970 paired with a laptop (i7 2nd gen) and got practically full performance on an external screen over a 1x lane version 2. I shouldn't lose all that much performance then, no? One last question, as long as the cpu doesn't bottleneck, is there a point where a better gpu won't give better frames due to the bandwidth? Or will I always lose x percent of what would get on a desktop, regardless of the actual fps?

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote