black screen after login - thinkpad x230t with RX 460 on Ubuntu 18.04

Notifications
Clear all

black screen after login - thinkpad x230t with RX 460 on Ubuntu 18.04  

RSS

KarlMariaPopper
(@karlmariapopper)

Hi everyone,

this site has been a great resource so far and I'm very happy to have found it. Thank you all for your contributions! 

This is my first post here, so I hope I don't miss out on any important info and really hope that some of you can help me out, as well as anyone who might have similar issues.

I'm running a Thinkpad X230 tablet with i5-3320M and 8GB (usually it's 16GB, but I read that this causes BIOS-related problems) 

with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and kernel 4.15.0-91-generic

connected to a RX 460 via ExpressCard.

When I boot my machine, with the eGPU disconnected, log in and then connect the eGPU, everything works fine, as I keep on using the iGPU for display. 

Running:

lspci -nn | grep -E ' VGA|Display'

returns

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Baffin [Radeon RX 460/560D / Pro 450/455/460/555/555X/560/560X] [1002:67ef] (rev cf)

So it seems to me that the eGPU is detected alright. However, it does not show up in the ubuntu display GUI and there is no output to my external screen.

I went through the easy-to-use script (more than once) without issues.

When I start up my machine with the eGPU connected, there is no display on the external screen, until the boot sequence reaches the login screen. It starts with a flicker and then displays the login normally. After logging in, the screen goes black. For a few seconds I can see and move my cursor on the external screen, then the cursor disappears. The computer does not react to Ctrl + Alt + F1, so I always hard-reboot.

A thread which I found related, but couldn't get anything out of, is this one: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-13-macbook-pro-rx46010gbps-tb1-3-linux-mint-19-build-guide-benchmarks-nu_ninja/

About a month ago I started playing around with the recommended scripts for egpu-switcher and gswitch. Back then I had no problem logging in and using the eGPU for display. However, it was very stuttery, which is why I stopped using it. Now with covid-19 around, my motivation to look into this and get higher frame rates in games suddenly came back :). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote