black screen after login - thinkpad x230t with RX 460 on Ubuntu 18.04

Notifications
Clear all

black screen after login - thinkpad x230t with RX 460 on Ubuntu 18.04  

RSS

KarlMariaPopper
(@karlmariapopper)

Hi everyone,

this site has been a great resource so far and I'm very happy to have found it. Thank you all for your contributions! 

This is my first post here, so I hope I don't miss out on any important info and really hope that some of you can help me out, as well as anyone who might have similar issues.

I'm running a Thinkpad X230 tablet with i5-3320M and 8GB (usually it's 16GB, but I read that this causes BIOS-related problems) 

with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and kernel 4.15.0-91-generic

connected to a RX 460 via ExpressCard.

When I boot my machine, with the eGPU disconnected, log in and then connect the eGPU, everything works fine, as I keep on using the iGPU for display. 

Running:

[Please login to see this]

returns

[Please login to see this]

So it seems to me that the eGPU is detected alright. However, it does not show up in the ubuntu display GUI and there is no output to my external screen.

I went through the easy-to-use script (more than once) without issues.

When I start up my machine with the eGPU connected, there is no display on the external screen, until the boot sequence reaches the login screen. It starts with a flicker and then displays the login normally. After logging in, the screen goes black. For a few seconds I can see and move my cursor on the external screen, then the cursor disappears. The computer does not react to Ctrl + Alt + F1, so I always hard-reboot.

A thread which I found related, but couldn't get anything out of, is this one: https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-13-macbook-pro-rx46010gbps-tb1-3-linux-mint-19-build-guide-benchmarks-nu_ninja/

About a month ago I started playing around with the recommended scripts for egpu-switcher and gswitch. Back then I had no problem logging in and using the eGPU for display. However, it was very stuttery, which is why I stopped using it. Now with covid-19 around, my motivation to look into this and get higher frame rates in games suddenly came back :). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote