Black screen with GTX 1050 ti sc and EXP GDC Beast

Black screen with GTX 1050 ti sc and EXP GDC Beast  

RSS

kyleponiki_
(@kyleponiki_)

Hello, I have a Windows 10 Toshiba S55-A5294 laptop. Upon booting with the card on, the screen doesn't turn on. The webpage for the Beast said I could use a laptop power supply, so I'm not sure if it causing a problem (it's rated at 75w). Also, there is no led lighting up on my Beast but the fan on my eGPU does spin. I tried using the TD switch, but that didn't work. It also broke off so I can't turn it off. I'm guessing my only possible course is to buy eGPU 1.3? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

What laptop power supply did you use? The Beast needs a 12v input. Laptop adapters are 16-20v, with most being around 19v. You should NOT plug in 19v into a device that needs a 12v input. You may have fried something.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
kyleponiki_
(@kyleponiki_)

Oops. I had no idea. Hopefully the Beast isn't broken - any way to tell?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Did you check the laptop adapter's voltage rating? Check that first. It is not likely, but it might be 12v, in which case that is not your issue. If it is over 12v: It isn't just the Beast that you need to worry about: You may have damaged the GPU, the Beast of the laptop's slot to which the eGPU is connected. It depends on how the power flows through everything, which I honestly don't know. Do you have the means to test the card separately, to start with?

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
kyleponiki_
(@kyleponiki_)

It was 19v. I may have an old desktop pc somewhere...

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

kyleponiki_ , also note that your GTX1050Ti mPCIe2 eGPU implementation is likely to encounter error 43, which would require a GTX9xx or older video card to solve. Read more details at https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/nvidia-is-killing-off-mpciengff-m2-egpus-error-43-with-372-90/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
(@random_stuff)

@yukikaze

i used mistakenly my 19v laptop charger also. now i smell burn electronics in my gpu. but the fan is still spinning. is it broken?
is the dock broken also ? the dock still lights green. should i buy new dock ? 

i think my gpu is dead i've seen smoke when i plug the 6 pin from the dock to the gpu
@nando4

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

@random_stuff - The card is likely fried. The dock might've survived, but it can also be damaged. If you have a really cheap card you could try it again, but if you plan to buy a new card, I'd recommend against using the old dock - Depending on how it was damaged, it might mess up a new card as well.

ReplyQuote
(@random_stuff)

@yukikaze

sadly i don't have cheap card to test the dock. the dock still has green light when i test it without the card. should i still buy a new one ?

ReplyQuote