Setup & Software Discussions
Dell E6520 + EXP GDC v8.4 fps limit when using internal monitor

Dell E6520 + EXP GDC v8.4 fps limit when using internal monitor  

RSS

manisses
(@manisses)

Hi there.
I have an issue with the fps when using the laptop's display.
My laptop is a Dell E6520, i7 quad core, Intel HD3000 + nVidia NVS 4200. The setup is working with no other problems or erors other than the one below. I've used a 7900 GTX, a GTX 470 and a GTX 580 with no errors. the 7900 can be used only with an external display, I guess because it's an older GPU.
I've tested WOT and Crysis and on 1080p no matter what in-game settings I choose, low or ultra, I get the same fps, around 25. If I lower the resolution to 900p, I get around 40fps. Only at 1366*768 I can start seeing  differences when changing the settings. The GPU is shown as being fully used all the time at every resolution, although I can notice the fan getting noisier when I lower the resolution.
When using an external display the setup works perfect with no performance loss, has no fps penalty at any resolution I choose and the settings do determine how many fps I get.
If any of you can help me with this issue I will be grateful. I have a good PC at home, so I don;t need to use the laptop all the time, only when traveling. I can;t carry with me a monitor all the time, that's why I want to use the laptop's display and also to be able to play at 1080p.
Thanks.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
TheGermanGuy
(@thegermanguy)
Eminent Member

Has your Laptop Optimus ? Did you use Setup 1.35 and use compaction ?

2011 15" Dell XPS15 L502x GT540M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7

ReplyQuote
manisses
(@manisses)

It has Optimus but I didn't used Setup 1.35.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@xinaman)

im having the same problem... did you find a solution?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Using the internal monitor reduces your performance, always. Especially so when using a single PCIe lane as your connection. There is nothing you can do about this beyond trying to get Optimus PCIe compression to work, but that is not even a possibility for AMD cards or every old NVidia ones.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
(@xinaman)

If i use a external display, the problem will be solved?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Relatively speaking: Yes. Using an external monitor always yields better performance. On mPCIe/Expresscard the difference can be very large indeed. You do need to keep in mind that you are still taking a performance hit, even with an external monitor. It will just be (sometimes greatly) reduced.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

Posted by: TheGermanGuy

Has your Laptop Optimus ? Did you use Setup 1.35 and use compaction ?

Compaction has nothing to do with having low FPS.You do compaction when there is not enough memory to allocate the eGPU  and you have error 12 showing in the device manger(basically the eGPU is usless).If there is no error 12 there is no need of any extra compaction done(won't help with the FPS).

@TheGermanGuy you just misleading OP here as i saw others suggesting that as well which is not relevant to the problem.Op your problem is with the drivers so i'll advise to follow my suggestions from this post here:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/video-dxgkrnl-fatal-error-since-windows-creator-update/#post-22083

@Yukikaze  i saw a post from itsage doing implementation with FURY X and he posted benchmarks screenshot from internal display,so looks like it's possible for AMD to do internal display acceleration.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote