Provolone
(@provolone)

Specs:
Dell Inspiron 7559 Signature Edition.
 i7-6700HQ @2.60GHz
8 gb RAM
GTX960M DGPU
64bit OS

Working on an eGPU setup for my Inspiron 7559. I bought a EVGA 980 KingPin for a crazy deal on craigslist, a EXP GDC Beast mPCIE because I'm an idiot so I'm waiting on the NGFF cable to come in. And a Rosewill 700M PSU. As far as I know I am the first person to attempt an eGPU with this laptop and any advice is appreciated. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
cuijpers
(@cuijpers)

Let me know how things go - I'm unable to get a setup with dGPU+ iGPU to work with eGPU 🙁

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Provolone
(@provolone)

You have to disable the dedicated and integrated right? Do you have the mPCIE or NGFF cable?

ReplyQuote
cuijpers
(@cuijpers)

Disabling either dGPU or iGPU was impossible from BIOS or from Windows. Didn't want to spend the $15 without knowing if it would make the setup work...

But all this is no longer necessary - after an evening of plugging in/out & reboots, the processor broke (!) - now the only thing the $600 laptop does is beep 7 times 🙁 🙁 🙁

I guess that marks the end of my eGPU endaveours... If anyone wants to buy a hardly used EXP GDC V8 with NGFF cable, please DM.

ReplyQuote
Provolone
(@provolone)

So my NGFF cable came in. plugged it into the wifi card slot, HDMI end into the Beast. PSU cables plugged into the Beast's adapters and power going from the PSU to the card and the card doesnt turn on. Do you know anyone that could lend a hand?

ReplyQuote
spyke_15
(@spyke_15)

I am also trying a similar setup. From my research I feel it should work. Got this video from a youtuber and he has managed it effectively. Apparently he is not replying to comments 🙁

I think the PCIe cable should work. I have a similar laptop but with i5 I have ordered the external GPU adapter so have to wait for another 20 days.

Please keep this forum updated.

ReplyQuote
Provolone
(@provolone)

I saw that video too, its what made me confident in the setup. I know its not "plug and play", but with everything plugged in, my GPU wont turn on. not sure if m2 port is being turned off because its not intel's wifi card, or bad cable, or bad PSU. all i know is that now i have a GTX 980 Kingpin and a 750w PSU for when i build my own PC lol. 

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: Provolone

I saw that video too, its what made me confident in the setup. I know its not "plug and play", but with everything plugged in, my GPU wont turn on. not sure if m2 port is being turned off because its not intel's wifi card, or bad cable, or bad PSU. all i know is that now i have a GTX 980 Kingpin and a 750w PSU for when i build my own PC lol. 

Pls refer to the following thread for how to jumper your PSU to be permanently on rather than being managed by the EXP GDC upon PCIe signal detection:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

Would be an accomplishment to get confirmation of stable Gen3 (8Gbps) eGPU function on a popular Inspiron 7559.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

@ Provolone Any luck?

ReplyQuote
Provolone
(@provolone)

Hey Nando, I actually sent you an email a while ago, not sure if you received it but I was asking for help. I'll jump the PSU next time I get a chance, left it at home when I went back for spring break, I'm still in state though. I saw the thread you linked, I didn't try the hotswap because I thought it was too risky, but it may be my only option. Also, could you explain what the setup 1.35 is? I'm not familiar with BIOS.

ReplyQuote
Dabson Chia
(@dabson-chia)

I know its been long since you posted this but I have the same laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 7559) i5-7300hq gtx960m. I'm trying to connect it to a egpu also. May i know have you succeeded in making the setup?

ReplyQuote
Provolone
(@provolone)

Nope, never got it to work. I ended up building a whole new PC. It was worth it

ReplyQuote