Dell Latitude 7480 - Use m.2 connector in WWAN port.

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Dell Latitude 7480 - Use m.2 connector in WWAN port.  

RSS

djorr5
(@djorr5)

Hi All,

Not sure if this has been asked before.. I am wondering wether I can use the WWAN slot for an eGPU with the ADT Link R43SG and the M.2 connector? I opened up the unit and there doesn't appear to have a spare m.2 connector as the hard drive takes up that slot. However it does have a WWAN which from memory is used if you have a sim card and want internet connection without wifi. I don't have a need for this so was thinking of pulling it out and plugging in the eGPU adapter into that slot. 

Will I have any issues doing this and will the performance be better then using the TB3 connector? It doesn't need to be fully portable as I have a seperate laptop for work. This is more of a setup and play around kinda think. Or should I just stick to using the TB3 eGPU connector?

Thanks in advance. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

1.  A Latitude 7480's M.2 NVME SSD slot is x2 3.0 (16Gbps). As per https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Dell-M-2-NVME-Specifications-And-Upgrade-Requirements-For/m-p/5072834

Latitude  7280 | 7480:

Maximum internal dives supported: 1

Drive configurations supported: (1x M.2)

PCIE Lanes:

M.2 slot supports 2X

2.  Can't speak for a 7480's WWAN slot. Do know that a Elitebook 840 G5's WWAN slot can physically fit and boot a B+M key SSD like a Samsung 970. It's wired for x1 3.0, faster than SATA but slower than the M.2 slot. Booting that way does liberate the NVME slot to use a ADT-Link R43SG.

3. Benchmarks in my sig does show that a 16Gbps-M.2 eGPU is faster than a 22Gbps TB3 eGPU, due to the latter's attentuation of bandwidth across smaller block size transfers.

So consider if it's worth reorganizing your storage around using a M.2 NVME eGPU or just acquire a TB3 eGPU.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
djorr5
(@djorr5)

Thanks nando4, appreciate the response. I think if I had to move storage around just to use the NVMe slot then I wouldn't bother. I was kinda hoping the WWAN slot would accommodate the egpu so I could use it on M.2. I'll probably go the TB3 route but might get a M.2 one to test.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
djorr5
(@djorr5)

I just re-read the description of the ADT Link unit. Looks like it won't work.... M.2 NVMe interface Does not support M.2 SATA interface, does not support M.2 WiFi interface, does not support M.2 WWAN interface

ReplyQuote