Setup & Software Discussions
Dell Precision M2800 + GTX 960 failed

Dell Precision M2800 + GTX 960 failed  

RSS

DovydasD
(@dovydasd)

Hey guys. I have a huge problem here. I have Dell Precision m2800 laptop with amd FirePro W4170M and intel graphics 4600HD. I am using EXP GDC Beast v 8.4d ExpressCard adapter and Corsair VS450 PSU. It should be enough for GTX960, but it is not. When I pluged it in and started my computer, everything was just fine. I installed drivers, in device manager i dissabled intel iGpu and amd dGpu. I launched GpuTest, and everything was fine, I launched GpuCapsViewer, and it showed me GTX960. Everything was fine. But I launched 3D Mark 11, and it dipsplayed mine dGpu. Lastly I launched CS:GO, all settings maxed out, worked really good. Then I launched Battlefield 1 and crash. Then Payday 2 - crash, Warframe - crash, Watch Dogs - crash, GpuTest - crash, 3D Mark11 - crash, I restarted everything, but it remained the same. By saying crash, i mean program has crashed and my external display, who is connected to my eGpu, stopped displaying and my laptop display turned on and displayed the same thing, but low res. I really need help... I tried everything and I really don't know what to do...

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
DovydasD
(@dovydasd)

Oh, and it did the same thing on desktop two minutes ago. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

So plz one problem at the time:

1/ Troubleshoot your GTX/PSU on your desktop and then came back on the egpu/laptop. Be sure of your power connections either on the MB and on the VGA are ok, if the PSU cables and connector pinout are not the issue.

2/ A 450w is enough for the GTX and the system, if you havent a i7 uber overclocked near 4.8Ghz, 30gb of ram, 15 HDD/Fans.

3/ Check the clock with GPU-Z, HW64, check the t° too.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
DovydasD
(@dovydasd)

Untitled

Everything looks just fine. I have concerns about auto dGpu and eGpu changing, but mine iGpu and dGpu is disabled via device manager... so i have no freaking ideas... PSU and GPU is brand new

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Pls work through https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/ including downgrading your eGPU PCIe link from Gen2 to Gen1 speed.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Have you tried leaving the iGPU enabled?

I have an HP Intel/AMD switchable graphics laptop and disabling the iGPU breaks my eGPU setup.

ReplyQuote
Voltron
(@voltron)

You can also check:

Go to "Nvidia Control Panel". Click the "Manage 3D settings" option on the left side. You can then select which GPU to use as a default (it is usually set to auto-select). Setup to GTX960, then go below and find "Power management mode" mode and select "Prefer maximum performance".

You can also change "set PhysX Configuration" from left side menu and set Processor for GTX 960.

ReplyQuote
DovydasD
(@dovydasd)

I already tried everything... i downgraded to gen1, i left igpu enabled, i am done with nvidia control panel settings. I bought egpu setup 1.35, i played with settings... nothing... the same!!! when I try to launch benchmark, i hear disconnect sound... black screen. Suddenly it connects and disconnects again. I dunno what to do...

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: DovydasD

I already tried everything… i downgraded to gen1, i left igpu enabled, i am done with nvidia control panel settings. I bought egpu setup 1.35, i played with settings… nothing… the same!!! when I try to launch benchmark, i hear disconnect sound… black screen. Suddenly it connects and disconnects again. I dunno what to do…

A sudden disconnect when the eGPU has some load sounds like like power starvation. Check your PSU power capacity against what the video card requires.  Do note total power of a PSU is often measured against multiple rails (12V1, 12V2), where the rails are split against say the CPU connector (V1) and other connectors like PCIe (V2).

There’s also the possibility your PSU is rated OK but faulty. Worth testing with a known good PSU.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
DovydasD
(@dovydasd)

In PC everything works just fine. With i5-4670 works like a charm. Just tested it out... 

ReplyQuote