does not boot: 8460p elitebook + exp gdc beast v8 (mini pci-e)  

RSS

(@gary_ist_egolos)
January 17, 2018 7:39 pm  

Hey guys i'm new here and i hope you can help me out.

I just bought the exp gdc beast v8 (mini pci-e version) and connected it to my 8460p elitebook using a Dell optiplex da-2 mk394 for power supply.

When i plug it in and try to start the laptop i get a black screen and it wont boot (i also use an external monitor btw). When i plug it in while the laptop is running it will crash immediately..

If someone of you can help me out i would  be so grateful! Best greetings, Gary

ReplyQuote
PinguinCraft
(@pinguincraft)
January 18, 2018 2:19 pm  

Hi,

It could potentially have something to do with the EXP GDC Adpater. If you take the GPU off the Adapter, there are two switches on the bottom left of the adapters PCB. You can try using different configurations of these and see if anything changes.

ReplyQuote
(@gary_ist_egolos)
January 18, 2018 5:43 pm  

mhh.. I tried all three switch positions and in keeps crashing immediately. I even tried it with another gpu. Any other ideas maybe?

ReplyQuote
(@gary_ist_egolos)
January 18, 2018 6:37 pm  

Well, in the middle switch position it at least kind of seems to boot. The monitors stay black anyway.

ReplyQuote
PinguinCraft
(@pinguincraft)
January 18, 2018 8:12 pm  

Have you seen anyone on the internet who does an eGPU Setup with the same Laptop that you use?

Maybe you can get some information from there if such a complete blackout on this Laptop is common.

If not, try finding an older pc to test the GPU in or use the PSU from the PC in your Setup then the Dell one.

Hopefully that'll give you a different result and maybe the eGPU to boot on your Laptop...

ReplyQuote
ta2rtist
(@ta2rtist)
January 18, 2018 9:57 pm  

i have an elitebook 8540w, i have to unplug the express card and then plug back in when the boot gets past post

ReplyQuote
PinguinCraft
(@pinguincraft)
January 19, 2018 1:06 pm  
Posted by: ta2rtist

i have an elitebook 8540w, i have to unplug the express card and then plug back in when the boot gets past post

1. He is using it with M.2, and

2.He already tried to unlpug the cable after the Post if you would have read his 1. Post.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
January 19, 2018 2:55 pm  

The 8460P has a whitelisted mPCIe ports. To get it going will be somewhat cumbersome requiring bootup with wifi, then swap in the eGPU adapter:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/  

The 8460P also has an expresscard which isn't hindered in this way. I would suggest acquiring the expresscard EXP GDC cable instead to make the bootup process simpler:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2018/#expresscard2-interface

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@gary_ist_egolos)
January 19, 2018 7:26 pm  

hey thanks for the help so far. In the  moment i dont consider buying the expresscard version i just waited months for the pcie. I have troubles finding the solution you meant in your post as my english is not the best, maybe you can help me a little further?

ReplyQuote
(@gary_ist_egolos)
February 12, 2018 7:37 am  

So after a long wait i got the egpu expresscard version. Now when the laptop is running and i put the egpu in, it wont get recognized. Puting it in first and then booting results in a black screen.

I tried all 3 switch positions on the adapter when booting.

1 and 3 = black screen and nothing else

middle position at least starts the fan as if it would boot normally but the monitors stay black and no windows start sound.

i even set the express slot generation in the bios from 1 to 2.

I bridged port 5+6 of the dell da2 to keep it permanently on like you suggested in your post and it works but.. now i cant put it in the egpu so whats the sense of that.. ?

Who can help me solving my problem?

ReplyQuote