eGPU for Mi Notebook Pro 2020 WORKING

Notifications
Clear all

eGPU for Mi Notebook Pro 2020 WORKING  

RSS

Ferran GC
(@ferran_gc)

Hi everyone,

I've been recently investigating about M.2 eGPU builds, mostly reading on this forum. I'm planning to make my own build on this laptop, but I still have some questions for which someone here may have the answer. Well, so first of all I'm going to write my laptop spects and the components I want to buy.

As said my laptop is a Mi Notebook Pro 15.6 2020 release (now comes with MX350, mine is MX250), with the following:

- Processor: Intel Core i7-10510U CPU

- Installed RAM: 16GB

- Drive: 1TB PCIe × 4 NVMe SSD

- GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250

The first I read about installing an M.2 eGPU on this laptop was from a guy who claimed a success build:

eGPU.io forum

reedit forum (more complete)

Here it comes my first question. This laptop has two M.2 slots, but one is PCIe×4 NVMe and the other is x2. This guy tells to put the SSD on the x2 slot and then the eGPU on the x4 one. Is as easy as that? I mean, next time I boot the laptop after changing the SSD to the other slot, will it open windows normally and all the other stuff of the drive without any problem? And also, will I experience a slower windows system?

The SSD that came with the laptop is an INTEL SSDPEKNW010T8 1024.2 GB, and now I have 1377MB/s of sequential read and 1560 of write. As those are not great results, I hope they wouldn't be worst on the x2 slot, but I would like to ensure hat the windows will work as fast as now.

Assuming that my laptop would run as smooth as it is running now, I would go on the build.

The components I'm planning to buy are the following:

- R43SG GPU adapter

- GTX 1660 Super GPU

PSU

- Support

- Spare backcase to make a hole on it

My intention is to make it Plug&Play friendly, as this is my daily laptop and I don't want to loose the portability, that's why I want to buy a spare backcase to experiment with it. After reading some posts, I think I will go for the hole option, as I don't want to have this extension going out of the computer all the time. 

Here is my second question. I don't want to plug and unplug the adapter straight to the computer slot all the time, to avoid mechanical stress or any broke component. I've found this adapter on aliexpress, that would be the perfect solution, it just connects to the slot and gives another. It says its is an M.2 NGFF adapter, but in the photos it just seem to be a slot extension. So I don't know if it would be able to hold the x4 speed or if it really is what I've described. Would you go for it? If not, then I would go for the first extension and hide the cable inside somehow.

I'm almost decided to go for the build, so if you don't think there will be any compatibility problems, I will start with it. I will write another post with photos and the results.

Would you recommend to go for the build as I described it? I would really appreciate any advise as I'm new to this eGPU world. Thanks in advance! 

--- EDIT/UPLOAD --

Well friends I'm glad to announce that everything worked incredibly perfect. So the components are the mentioned on the post above, except for the graphics card, I ended buying a cheaper GTX 960 second hand. So, for the moment I'm exactly using this extension coming out of the laptop and then the RS adapter attached to it. The system detected the card straight from the beginning. I downloaded the drivers and rebooted the system, and it is perfectly working, no error43 appeared.

I'm still waiting for the spare backcase to try to cut a hole on it, and have access to the m.2. port from outside. The I will connect a protector on the slot, and luckily have a kinda plug&play eGPU.

So I'm very happy with the build, I've proceeded like I describe on the post, changing the SSD to the empty 2 lines slot, and then use the 4 lines one for the card.

About benchmarks, I've never done one and I don't really know how they work. I can just tell that the games I've tried (Warzone and Fortnite) work super. If anybody is interested in benchmarking the build, I would be very happy to do it if you tell me how to.

Finally, some photos from the build. I don't know how to attach them directly to the post, I'll try with ImgBB:

https://ibb.co/jT3BkvB
https://ibb.co/0MPh9pz
https://ibb.co/s1QR65w
https://ibb.co/ZMZqSvX
https://ibb.co/vQLtBd9

Booting video

If anyone have any question or suggest, feel free to message me.

-- UPDATE CASE MODIFIED --

My spare backcase arrived and I've made a hole on it to have access to the M.2 port from the outside. Succeded, now I have the most possible plug&play M.2 eGPU for my laptop. I've attacked the protector to the port and now It's really easy to have it connected at home and disconnect it when I have to carry the laptop with me. Photos:

WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.12 (3)
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.12 (1)
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.12 (4)
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.13
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.11
WhatsApp Image 2021 03 06 at 02.08.13 (1)
Capture

Another good thing is that when the eGPU is plugged, the dedicated GPU (MX250 in my case) appears with a warning, but when you unplug the external one it automatically appears and works normally. 

2020 15" Xiaomi Mi NoteBook Pro (MX250) [10th,4C,U] + GTX 960 @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

itsage and regisreg2 liked
ReplyQuote
musschrott
(@musschrott)

I wouldn't worry about the SSD speed, even at SATA speeds (600MB/s) you most likely wouldn't notice a difference and your current SSD remains within x2 speeds. Switching the slots shouldn't be any problem, Windows won't care.

Personally I find plug&play/portability and M.2 on two different ends of the spectrum. You invest a noticeable amount of money and time into a solution that will always be a Frankenstein construct with no official support. The last message of that guy on that topic apparently was, that he couldn't get it working again: https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/m-2-egpu-used-to-work-but-now-card-spins-but-egpu-is-missing/ If you're doing it out of curiosity or challenge, don't let anybody stop you. For something guaranteed to run and really plug&play, I'd rather spare the money and invest into a notebook with dGPU (guaranteed to run) or TB4 (hopefully plug&play).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Ferran GC liked
ReplyQuote
regisreg2
(@regisreg2)

Good job man! Please if you report any issue let us now, but if it continue to work as fine as you say I may go fpr a similar build for my mi notebook😁

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @ferran_gc

I'm almost decided to go for the build, so if you don't think there will be any compatibility problems, I will start with it. I will write another post with photos and the results.

Given the success, please do post your build using the build template. That way it can be included in the builds area.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote