Setup & Software Discussions
EXP GDC Beast v8 + GTX 950 Not working even though everything looks right

[Solved] EXP GDC Beast v8 + GTX 950 Not working even though everything looks right  

RSS

KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

Hello, so I bought an EVGA GTX950 SSC (only the card, nothing else came with it) and there is only a 6pin in it, I went to buy a PSU, I searched it's cables and there is no 6 pin cable in it, is there a specific type of PSU's that comes with a 6pin or what, or how does this work? please someone explain to me, how can I connect this GPU to a PSU?

eJwFwVEOgyAMANC7cADaYqmpF1j24RkMQYIuOgiwr2V333tf82mXWcwxRu0LwH72WNpu ygt5GRzKflKoZ7dxnJDGCPE407v0cE5YfasOrGgVyceJiQmdTOqVxFCL BcH5tDmpGJNlL06OyrZvP7A5bxJCs.HMVP3gRGX 4pWH5hJn6Y lCUE6s

UPDATE: CHECK THE LAST COMMENT

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Most (good) desktop power supplies in the 400W and above range have a 6-pin connector. It is actually quite hard to find one without one, or even two. Only crappy power supplies might still be missing this connector and you want to avoid them anyway.

That said, for a GTX950 you can use a Dell DA-2 power brick to power up the GDC Beast. It is a 220w power brick that has an 8-pin connector that goes into the 8-pin input of the Beast. It costs around 10-12$ off ebay, and even with international shipping (as I remember you're not in the US or the EU), it shouldn't be more than 20$ or so. The Beast has a 6-pin output as well, and you can connect a 6-pin male to 6-pin male cable from that output to your video card (you can get these online, of you can easily make one yourself by splicing together the male ends of two 6-pin extender cables that are sold pretty much everywhere, including nearly every small computer/cabling store). It will be cheaper and take up less space than using a desktop power supply.

If you insist using a desktop power supply, and it really does not have 6-pin connectors, you can simply use a Molex/Sata Power to 6-pin PCIe converter. These typically take two Molex or Sata Power connectors and turn them into a single PCIe 6-pin male connector.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Buy a used Dell DA-2 power supply and then get this cable...

http://www.banggood.com/6-PIN-Graphics-Card-Cable-for-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1032795.html

Not sure how common the DA-2 is in Africa, but here you can get them for as low as 10USD. It's the cheapest and cleanest solution.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

I bought a 450W power supply with a Molex/Sata Power to 6-pin PCIe converter, plugged everything to the GPU and the GDC Beast, deactivated Intel Graphics, used DDU to clean past drivers, installed latest drivers, but I got 2 problems now, I only have 2 resolutions to choose from, + Nvidia control panel says that I'm no using an Nvidia GPU even though the device manager says the opposite, I ran a game and I got 3fps in the menu.. can someone please help me fix this..
PS: the GPU fans runs normal in the beginning then they stop turning, and there is blue light in the EXP GDC Beast..

f192516ecbda4c4984a4a2043b4796d9
3bee3468a237435baeab08ce3ad58fc2
Capture d’écran (264)

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Internal or external display? If you're using the internal display then the HD 3000 can't be disabled or Optimus won't work.

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

Internal Display, well what should I do then?
please don't tell me that I need an external display

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

What happens when you enable the HD 3000 in device manager? Did you manually disable it or is there a warning/error code?

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

I enabled the HD 3000 and the Nvidia GPU WORKED! I tried 2 games by now (RocketLeague and TheWitcher2) and I get a steady 40FPS, idk if I can make it more than that, but I'm really happy by those results and that the GPU worked, thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it! if you have any advices to increase the FPS please let me know, Thanks again!
IMMMMMMM SOOOOOOOOOOO HAAAAAAAAAAAPPY

Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I don't have either of those games, but between the card being a 950 and taking a performance hit by using the internal display, I wouldn't expect too much. Using an external display is probably the only thing that will squeeze a few extra FPS out of the system.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Glad to hear it is running. Game on! 🙂

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
bambou78
(@bambou78)

t es francais ?

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

Posted by: Plastixx

I don't have either of those games, but between the card being a 950 and taking a performance hit by using the internal display, I wouldn't expect too much. Using an external display is probably the only thing that will squeeze a few extra FPS out of the system.

Yeah I guess so, but I'm not going to play the latest games out there, nothing heavy tbh 🙂

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

Posted by: Yukikaze

Glad to hear it is running. Game on! 🙂

HELL YEAH!!!!! Thanks for the help

ReplyQuote
KapMajid
(@kapmajid)

Posted by: bambou78

t es francais ?

nn .. je parle français mas je suis marocain 🙂

ReplyQuote
beje
 beje
(@beje)

Posted by: Plastixx

Buy a used Dell DA-2 power supply and then get this cable...

http://www.banggood.com/6-PIN-Graphics-Card-Cable-for-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1032795.html

Not sure how common the DA-2 is in Africa, but here you can get them for as low as 10USD. It's the cheapest and cleanest solution.

Hi! Sorry to hijack this but I need some help! I have also a GTX950 with an additional 6 pin plug. My setup includes a DA-2 which goes into the GDC. I have (just now) ordered the cable recommended by  Plastixx.
I would need some support thought:
1. Until the cable is coming, can I power it from an additional power supply? I have a ATX lying around the house and I need to check if it has one of this 6 pin plugs. In this case I would need to use both the power supply and the DA-2. The DA-2 would go in the GDC and the other power supply would go in the GPU. Would this function? Do I have any danger to damage anything (the GPU being the most exposed "anything" in this case...)
2. When the cable is coming, is this cable a "Y" cable? Would it go in the DA-2 and then split in 2, one part going in the 6 pin plug of the GPU and the other in the 8 pin plug of the GDC?

Thank you for your support!

ReplyQuote
Betei
(@betei)

Hi,

1: I would recommend to use your ATX only until the new cable arrives. Like this:
https://imgur.com/a/ygQ3r5M

2: It is a Y-Cable. But you can't plug it into the DA-2. Instead just plug your DA-2 into your EXP GDC and the connect the 6-pin output on the right hand side of your EXP GDC with the 6-pin input on the GTX950 using your new cable. 🙂

ReplyQuote
beje
 beje
(@beje)

Thanks Betei! This is wonderful news. I will try it. Can I use the Dell DA-2 on the EXP GDC and the other power supply on the video card?

ReplyQuote
Betei
(@betei)

Well... it should work. But you may have to short 2 pins (PS_ON and GROUND) at your ATX plug. Otherwise the ATX won't start supplying any power.
But you'd better do some research before trying that.

beje liked
ReplyQuote