Setup & Software Discussions
Exp gdc, gtx970 power options.

Exp gdc, gtx970 power options.  

RSS

Skoto88
(@skoto88)

I am  running a 1050ti with exp gdc v8 and a dell 12v 18a 220w power adapter. It work well but I'm not able to use the latest nvidia drivers. So I ordered a gigabyte gtx 970 mini. I see that the 970 has an 8pin power plug. Does that mean that I need to switch to a proper pc power supply with an 8 pin plug or can the 6pin output on the exp gdc handle it with a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter? I was using an hd7950 that has 2 6pin power plugs, using a 6pin splitter but that may be why I was getting such bad performance out of that card. 

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

You can power the GTX970 via a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter. As for the HD7950, I ran one on a Dell DA-2 without issues for over a year back when I had an Expresscard eGPU.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

The 970 has roughly the same TDP as a RX 480, which runs perfectly fine for me with a DA-2 and 6p to 8p adapter.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Skoto88
(@skoto88)

Thanks guys. I'll order one up. Can I expect a slight performance increase with the 970 over the 1050ti? 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Compare the GTX1050Ti and the GTX970 on the graphs on this review at your relevant resolution. That should help you quantify the difference. On average it looks to be around 40-45% more powerful than the 1050Ti.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Skoto88
(@skoto88)

Thank you for the link. Any improvement would make it worthwhile as I paid about the same for the 970 as I did for the 1050ti. But I might have been pushing my i7 3520m to its limit with the 1050ti in some games. 

ReplyQuote
cunning_fridge
(@cunning_fridge)
Eminent Member

I did the exact same switch about a month ago, including powered by the DA-2 (no issues). The performance difference I'm seeing is around 25% averaged over a few new titles, worth upgrade. In hindsight I can't really see the point in buying the 1050ti if you can provide the additional pci-e power most decent cards need and the GDC (with adapter) can provide. 

ReplyQuote