EXP GDC NGFF key A/E partial success with weird bugs and problems Acer V5-591G-79GL  

RSS

jaki_man
(@jaki_man)
December 24, 2018 5:26 pm  

Hi.

Im not so new to eGPU stuff, as i already run it on one laptop ( which worked out of the box with eGPU setup ).
But this time, I already have 2 unslept nights because of this stuff. If anyone has ANY clue on ANY of this, I would be extremely happy if you could shed some light on this.

I am using "EXP GDC v8.5c with NGFF key A/E", "GTX 960 Gigabyte WindForce 2X OC 2GB" GPU, 800W PSU with 2 PCIe 6pin connected to GPU and standard power for the EXP GDC.
Laptop has this chipset : " removed link "

When I start a laptop with connected eGPU, it starts booting ( it shows windows 10 loading icon ), but then i get black screen and that is all I can see...
This happens even if I only connect the cable in the NGFF slot, without the other end connected to EXP GDC.
I should also mention that (in both eGPU and only cable) cases, it seems i can't get into BIOS with my F2 key, and what is also strange, when i have the cable or eGPU connected, it seems the laptop takes more time to start booting windows ( It turns on the display without logo, then turns it off, then on with Acer logo, and then starts booting after some time )

I tried using the "PTD" option on EXP GDC, I tried to manually turn on the PSU, I tried to 'halt' windows and hotplug the cable, but then I don't have the option to "continue" and i can only restart - so the process with black screen goes again.

Now what i managed to do, i thought, well maybe BIOS somehow bugs itself ( And thus windows ) because of the GPU ( and here it is still a mystery why laptop does this even with only cable connected ).
Nevertheless i tried to fix this as explained in " 5. i) eGPU dectection: mPCIe/M2 eGPU doesn't get detected " where it says that I should try to boot the windows with WiFi card, set it to sleep, swap the WiFi card and eGPU, and turn it on. But again, I get a black screen...

After that, I tried to hotswap the eGPU and WiFi card, WHILE windows is fully working AND device manager was opened, and who would have guessed, it worked! Well... sort of...
The instant i plug in the eGPU, laptop keyboard stops working for some reason ( although mouse, touchpad, and EXTERNAL USB keyboard work ).
As far as i have tested this, if the device manager is not opened, both keyboard and mouse (+ touchpad ) stop working, but windows is still running.

So I thought, oh well, if this is how it will work, then ok... Buuut... When i partially close the case and set the laptop on my desk ( because I am holding the laptop on my legs so i could do the hotswap and manage all the cables), windows stops and says "something is wrong... bla bla... we need to restart... " with error saying something like "Watchdog time..." And if the laptop restarts and repeats black screen process.

This is as far as i got, I didn't use Setup 1.35 as I can't be sure if it will help me, 15$ in my country is not something i could get out of my pocket so easily...

Again, if anyone has anything that could help me, I can't describe how happy would I be.

My regards,

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@lionel_lawrence)
January 13, 2019 9:07 am  

I am facing this same issue, but not able to find any solutions online. Problem is with the BIOS I guess. Gonna try to update my BIOS and give a try.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)
January 13, 2019 5:24 pm  

Hi,

I am glad to hear that someone else encounters the same problem as me. Let me tell you what i found out.

So basically, although the internal keyboard is not working (the internal keyboard is PS/2 for some reason), i can connect the external keyboard and then access the BIOS.
In BIOS, when the exp gdc cable is connected, i get a whole new tab named "Advanced" where i can change literally everything you can think of. I tried to change some settings for that m.2 key A/E port (PCIe root port #3), but didn't get very far, because I didn't understand 99% of the settings that were in the advanced tab.

I was talking about hotplugging it, and a blue screen soon after. Well now there doesn't seem to be any problem with hotplugging (except internal keyboard stops working, and you can't set the laptop to sleep, because it gives black screen afterwards.

BUT! I discovered something. If you connect a HDMI monitor to your laptop HDMI port, you can succesfully boot into your system with the image on the external monitor and everything works fine except keyboard.
I tried to boot windows with HDMI plugged into ext. graphics card but system wouldn't boot for some reason. Although Once the system boots up, I could hotplug from laptop HDMI to ext. GPU HDMI port and it would work normally (except if your system goes to sleep, or turns off the monitor, sometimes it will succesfully boot back up, or you will have to get back to laptop HDMI port - then GPU HDMI, or sometimes it wouldn't boot back up at all...)

I should also mention, when I was booted in windows, my battery sensor was not working, and sometimes the ext. GPU driver bugged out (But i think it was because of the power saving modes...)

So for now, when i need to render something (which is the main reason for buying ext. GPU) I simply do it in beforementioned ways. Of course I would be extremely grateful if someone can get to the bottom of this stupid problems (probably some BIOS tweaking).
Although it is not unusable like this, it is a drag to have all these annoying things if you want to use ext. GPU...

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)
January 16, 2019 12:36 pm  

I have Acer E5-576G-59AB and i have the exactly the issue, for me internal keyboard an lan does not work im usin beast v 5.4c. i hope this problem will solve soon./....

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)
January 16, 2019 7:50 pm  

Hmm I doubt that. It is probably up to us few who have this laptop series and are trying to make this work...

I am not sure, but I would bet this could be solved through BIOS tweaking (on that "Advanced" tab). But I lack the knowledge for all these options and what is the real cause of these things i wrote.
I tried to do it myself, but I bricked the BIOS once, had to remove the battery, then i destroyed the solder pad through which battery was connected, then tried to resolder it, almost destroyed the resistor next to it... so no more blind guesswork for me...

We can only pray someone from the experienced users on this forum could help us... Until then, we gotta use it as it is 😛

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)
January 17, 2019 3:42 pm  

hmmppp i thinking maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/ not sure if our problem is related to that because when i checked the device manager on the driver tab i saw something like "error 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)", im trying to understand the posts deeper so i can try that to my laptop but im not sure yet...

This post was modified 18 hours ago

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)
January 17, 2019 8:54 pm  
Posted by: Fernando Villaluz Jr

hmmppp i thinking maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/ not sure if our problem is related to that because when i checked the device manager on the driver tab i saw something like "error 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)", im trying to understand the posts deeper so i can try that to my laptop but im not sure yet...

Can you explain more thoroughly how did you get "error 12" in device manager?
Did you hotplug the eGPU while windows was working, or had it plugged in with external monitor connected to laptop via HDMI, and had error 12 nontheless?
Because as i said, in my case I can use the GPU, but with all these bugs and procedures... its a drag.

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)
January 18, 2019 2:23 am  

sorry i was talking about internal's keyboard in device manager, when i go to drivers tab i get that error and also for my lan card its not working both for me... also gpu is working with gtx 1060.. and im using internal display. im also thinking that maybe its because of beast adapter because its 2 separate lanes and the m.2 wifi port only support 1 lanes..im thinking if we can try to make the adapter pin only occupy 1 pcie lanes by using masking tape or any tape..

ReplyQuote