Setup & Software Discussions
EXP GDC NGFF key A/E partial success with weird bugs and problems Acer V5-591G-7...

EXP GDC NGFF key A/E partial success with weird bugs and problems Acer V5-591G-79GL  

RSS

jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Hi.

Im not so new to eGPU stuff, as i already run it on one laptop ( which worked out of the box with eGPU setup ).
But this time, I already have 2 unslept nights because of this stuff. If anyone has ANY clue on ANY of this, I would be extremely happy if you could shed some light on this.

I am using "EXP GDC v8.5c with NGFF key A/E", "GTX 960 Gigabyte WindForce 2X OC 2GB" GPU, 800W PSU with 2 PCIe 6pin connected to GPU and standard power for the EXP GDC.
Laptop has this chipset : " removed link "

When I start a laptop with connected eGPU, it starts booting ( it shows windows 10 loading icon ), but then i get black screen and that is all I can see...
This happens even if I only connect the cable in the NGFF slot, without the other end connected to EXP GDC.
I should also mention that (in both eGPU and only cable) cases, it seems i can't get into BIOS with my F2 key, and what is also strange, when i have the cable or eGPU connected, it seems the laptop takes more time to start booting windows ( It turns on the display without logo, then turns it off, then on with Acer logo, and then starts booting after some time )

I tried using the "PTD" option on EXP GDC, I tried to manually turn on the PSU, I tried to 'halt' windows and hotplug the cable, but then I don't have the option to "continue" and i can only restart - so the process with black screen goes again.

Now what i managed to do, i thought, well maybe BIOS somehow bugs itself ( And thus windows ) because of the GPU ( and here it is still a mystery why laptop does this even with only cable connected ).
Nevertheless i tried to fix this as explained in " 5. i) eGPU dectection: mPCIe/M2 eGPU doesn't get detected " where it says that I should try to boot the windows with WiFi card, set it to sleep, swap the WiFi card and eGPU, and turn it on. But again, I get a black screen...

After that, I tried to hotswap the eGPU and WiFi card, WHILE windows is fully working AND device manager was opened, and who would have guessed, it worked! Well... sort of...
The instant i plug in the eGPU, laptop keyboard stops working for some reason ( although mouse, touchpad, and EXTERNAL USB keyboard work ).
As far as i have tested this, if the device manager is not opened, both keyboard and mouse (+ touchpad ) stop working, but windows is still running.

So I thought, oh well, if this is how it will work, then ok... Buuut... When i partially close the case and set the laptop on my desk ( because I am holding the laptop on my legs so i could do the hotswap and manage all the cables), windows stops and says "something is wrong... bla bla... we need to restart... " with error saying something like "Watchdog time..." And if the laptop restarts and repeats black screen process.

This is as far as i got, I didn't use Setup 1.35 as I can't be sure if it will help me, 15$ in my country is not something i could get out of my pocket so easily...

Again, if anyone has anything that could help me, I can't describe how happy would I be.

My regards,

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@lionel_lawrence)

I am facing this same issue, but not able to find any solutions online. Problem is with the BIOS I guess. Gonna try to update my BIOS and give a try.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Hi,

I am glad to hear that someone else encounters the same problem as me. Let me tell you what i found out.

So basically, although the internal keyboard is not working (the internal keyboard is PS/2 for some reason), i can connect the external keyboard and then access the BIOS.
In BIOS, when the exp gdc cable is connected, i get a whole new tab named "Advanced" where i can change literally everything you can think of. I tried to change some settings for that m.2 key A/E port (PCIe root port #3), but didn't get very far, because I didn't understand 99% of the settings that were in the advanced tab.

I was talking about hotplugging it, and a blue screen soon after. Well now there doesn't seem to be any problem with hotplugging (except internal keyboard stops working, and you can't set the laptop to sleep, because it gives black screen afterwards.

BUT! I discovered something. If you connect a HDMI monitor to your laptop HDMI port, you can succesfully boot into your system with the image on the external monitor and everything works fine except keyboard.
I tried to boot windows with HDMI plugged into ext. graphics card but system wouldn't boot for some reason. Although Once the system boots up, I could hotplug from laptop HDMI to ext. GPU HDMI port and it would work normally (except if your system goes to sleep, or turns off the monitor, sometimes it will succesfully boot back up, or you will have to get back to laptop HDMI port - then GPU HDMI, or sometimes it wouldn't boot back up at all...)

I should also mention, when I was booted in windows, my battery sensor was not working, and sometimes the ext. GPU driver bugged out (But i think it was because of the power saving modes...)

So for now, when i need to render something (which is the main reason for buying ext. GPU) I simply do it in beforementioned ways. Of course I would be extremely grateful if someone can get to the bottom of this stupid problems (probably some BIOS tweaking).
Although it is not unusable like this, it is a drag to have all these annoying things if you want to use ext. GPU...

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

I have Acer E5-576G-59AB and i have the exactly the issue, for me internal keyboard an lan does not work im usin beast v 5.4c. i hope this problem will solve soon./....

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Hmm I doubt that. It is probably up to us few who have this laptop series and are trying to make this work...

I am not sure, but I would bet this could be solved through BIOS tweaking (on that "Advanced" tab). But I lack the knowledge for all these options and what is the real cause of these things i wrote.
I tried to do it myself, but I bricked the BIOS once, had to remove the battery, then i destroyed the solder pad through which battery was connected, then tried to resolder it, almost destroyed the resistor next to it... so no more blind guesswork for me...

We can only pray someone from the experienced users on this forum could help us... Until then, we gotta use it as it is 😛

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

hmmppp i thinking maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/ not sure if our problem is related to that because when i checked the device manager on the driver tab i saw something like "error 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)", im trying to understand the posts deeper so i can try that to my laptop but im not sure yet...

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Posted by: Fernando Villaluz Jr

hmmppp i thinking maybe this can help us  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/ not sure if our problem is related to that because when i checked the device manager on the driver tab i saw something like "error 12 (This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use)", im trying to understand the posts deeper so i can try that to my laptop but im not sure yet...

Can you explain more thoroughly how did you get "error 12" in device manager?
Did you hotplug the eGPU while windows was working, or had it plugged in with external monitor connected to laptop via HDMI, and had error 12 nontheless?
Because as i said, in my case I can use the GPU, but with all these bugs and procedures... its a drag.

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

sorry i was talking about internal's keyboard in device manager, when i go to drivers tab i get that error and also for my lan card its not working both for me... also gpu is working with gtx 1060.. and im using internal display. im also thinking that maybe its because of beast adapter because its 2 separate lanes and the m.2 wifi port only support 1 lanes..im thinking if we can try to make the adapter pin only occupy 1 pcie lanes by using masking tape or any tape..

ReplyQuote
mado
 mado
(@mado)

Exactly the same problems I found myself with my Acer laptop v5-591g

ReplyQuote
mado
 mado
(@mado)

sorry i was talking about internal's keyboard in device manager, when i go to drivers tab i get that error and also for my lan card its not working both for me... also gpu is working with gtx 1060.. and im using internal display. im also thinking that maybe its because of beast adapter because its 2 separate lanes and the m.2 wifi port only support 1 lanes..im thinking if we can try to make the adapter pin only occupy 1 pcie lanes by using masking tape or any tape..

what do you mean: "im thinking if we can try to make the adapter only occupy 1 pcie lanes by using masking tape or any tape .."?

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

hmmppp as ar as i know the ngff cable that comes with the beast adapter are using m.2(ngff) key a+e right? so in my understanding if i'am correct its using 2 separate pcie lanes one for A and one for E. Although the m.2 wifi card socket is E keyed(which support both A+E), its only support 1 pcie lane(x1) which is using by our wifi card.. So our beast adapter is using either A or E pcie lane and one of those i think should be block by its pin using a tape or anything you can think off, as long as we know which pin should be taped..

This post was modified 6 months ago

ReplyQuote
mado
 mado
(@mado)

hmmppp as ar as i know the ngff cable that comes with the beast adapter are using m.2(ngff) key a+e right? so in my understanding if i'am correct its using 2 separate pcie lanes one for A and one for E. Although the m.2 wifi card socket is E keyed(which support both A+E), its only support 1 pcie lane(x1) which is using by our wifi card.. So our beast adapter is using either A or E pcie lane and one of those i think should be block by its pin using a tape or anything you can think off, as long as we know which pin should be taped..

Ok thanks, I understand. and how well you say the problem would be to know which pin / pins shoul be taped

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

Hi guys i just wanted to update you. I already found a way to get around this by using this adapter  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i208435252-s265021840.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1. i got x2 pcie lanes now and very much better than beast and it only cost very cheap. the only problem i encounter is on how do i set it up to synchronize power on when i push the laptop power button. please email me if you have a question or idea on how to do it. [email protected]

aaaaaaaaaaIMG 20190202 195243

ReplyQuote
mado
 mado
(@mado)

Hi guys i just wanted to update you. I already found a way to get around this by using this adapter  https://www.lazada.com.ph/-i208435252-s265021840.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1. i got x2 pcie lanes now and very much better than beast and it only cost very cheap. the only problem i encounter is on how do i set it up to synchronize power on when i push the laptop power button. please email me if you have a question or idea on how to do it. [email protected]

Thanks  🙂 But that way you can not use an M.2 SSD.
Still, does it work? Do not have problems connecting the card with the M.2 port as it happened when connecting it to the pci of the WIFI card?

ReplyQuote
(@fernando_villaluz_jr)

No i haven't encounter any problems while playing games with this set up. for my m.2 problem i bought an ngff to sata adapter and cdrom caddy then i used it both without any problems..

ReplyQuote
shogs
(@shogs)

hi jaki_man,
you are correct.
my system:
acer f5 572G core i5
i have used the ngff cable with 8.4 exp gdc beast. i have followed some tutorials online and the results are 1. laptop display is dead after ACER logo and external display will only works by plugging it in to the laptop hdmi 2. laptop keyboard is dead 3. external mouse/keyboard works 4. external psu works 5. external gtx 1060 works(but no hdmi output) 6. dock is set Delays OFF and Atx OFF 7. internal graphic 940m is disabled 8. external gtx 1060 is detected as microsoft basic display adapter 9. i removed all nvidia drivers and files buy using DDU. i have checked the bios and change the display settings to auto(originally set to SG) and that gives hdmi output to gtx 1060(laptop display is dead and onboard intel graphics is disabled). i failed to update the gtx 1060 driver (nvidia GE force cannot detect the gtx 1060 hardware). i tried some online tutorials to fixed the nvidia GE force installation but sadly no success. in my 2 days working on this project i can say that im stock on this stage 🙁 i am hoping once my wifi usb comes i can update my laptop windows 10 and hoping it will correctly detects the external gtx 1060 / fixed the nvidia ge force installation.

This post was modified 4 months ago

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Isn't the item you provided, like ~630$? At lesat that is what i can see (₱33,000.00)

ReplyQuote
shogs
(@shogs)

🙂 it works... i updated my windows 10 build 1709 to the latest version but still it did not help me to solve the NVIDIA driver installation (i was using 2016 nvidia driver 368.81 with my gigabyte gtx 1060 3OC 6gb date released year 2018) . i kept on waching tutorials on youtube then later do trial and error and the results  were the follwoing: 1) OLD DRIVERS works with OLD GPU 2) NEW DRIVERS works with NEW GPU 3) once nvidia installation fails due to "hardware not detected" it only means you need a newer version (install the next nvidia driver in the list repeat the cycle until a correct version works also always use DDU before installing the next version) 4) ive stop using the gigabyte gtx 1060 beacause it keeps on failing "code 43" even with the latest nvidia drivers 2018-2019 verisons 5) ive switched to my another gpu asus gtx 1060 oc 3gb dual released year 2016 and installed nvidia driver version 372.54 (there you go it worked........) from the trial and error on this projext i can say that exp gdc ver8.4 NGFF works very well with old gpu using old version of nvidia drivers.

check the youtube link

disabled internal gpu 940m in acer laptop

Screenshot 20190324 195704 Gallery

my acer laptop ive upgraded the ram feom 8gb to 16gb

Screenshot 20190324 195809 Gallery

working nvidia physix

20190324 200759

ReplyQuote
mado
 mado
(@mado)

Posted by: shogs

hi jaki_man,
you are correct.
my system:
acer f5 572G core i5
i have used the ngff cable with 8.4 exp gdc beast. i have followed some tutorials online and the results are 1. laptop display is dead after ACER logo and external display will only works by plugging it in to the laptop hdmi 2. laptop keyboard is dead 3. external mouse/keyboard works 4. external psu works 5. external gtx 1060 works(but no hdmi output) 6. dock is set Delays OFF and Atx OFF 7. internal graphic 940m is disabled 8. external gtx 1060 is detected as microsoft basic display adapter 9. i removed all nvidia drivers and files buy using DDU. i have checked the bios and change the display settings to auto(originally set to SG) and that gives hdmi output to gtx 1060(laptop display is dead and onboard intel graphics is disabled). i failed to update the gtx 1060 driver (nvidia GE force cannot detect the gtx 1060 hardware). i tried some online tutorials to fixed the nvidia GE force installation but sadly no success. in my 2 days working on this project i can say that im stock on this stage 🙁 i am hoping once my wifi usb comes i can update my laptop windows 10 and hoping it will correctly detects the external gtx 1060 / fixed the nvidia ge force installation.

Hello, do you still have problems with the keyboard (battery Signal) or any issues?

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Could I ask you, Mr. @shogs, to recap all the things you did to get it working in one single post? Also, what about the keyboard? Does it work, or is it dead?

ReplyQuote
shogs
(@shogs)

laptop keybord is still dead (there is an error in device manager). laptop display is also dead (keeping "AUTO" in bios display settings)

i also have noticed charging signal is on even though laptop charger is not plug ( it is my habit to plug the charger while i'am using my acer laptop so i dont mind )

for ACER F5 572G laptop using exp gdc 8.4 NGFF version do the following: 1. get a good power supply as per required in the GPU specs (check the 12+ description in the tag 35A to 40A+ is a sign of a good power supply) 2. get an old GPU ( in my case asus gtx 1060 dual oc - GP106) 3. download and save to your laptop old drivers from 368 to 372 or higher version if necessary 4. dowload and save to your laptop DDU 5. Turn ON your laptop hit W+R type in msconfig boot to safe mode then restart 6. run DDU (NVDIA choose gpu then click on "clean and restart")  7. after restart go to the device manager "System Devices" and disable 9D10 (my internal gpu 940m) then shut down the laptop 8. Turn on again the laptop hit f2 before acer logo to enter bios then go to Advance - System Agent - Primary Display set to AUTO then shutdown your laptop 10. open your laptop cover remove the wifi module and insert the NGFF cable use some sticky tape to secure the cable then close the cover. 11. connect the beast adapter to the power supply (use 20pin from 24pin and 4pin from cpu) then connect to the dock - connect also the NGFF cable to the dock - insert your gpu to the dock (use 6pin or 8pin from the power supply) connect the hdmi cable to the gpu/tv/monitor (be sure that the dock is set to ATX -OFF and TD-OFF) 12. plugged and switched on the power supply then turn on your laptop (your tv/monitor should be working as well as your power supply fan / GPU fans) from the device manager your GPU should be detected as "microsoft basic display adapter" (these signs shows that all your components are working correctly with good power supply) 13. disconnect your wifi disable your anti virus and run nvidia driver version 372.51 which is compatible to asus gtx 1060 dual oc 3gb (choose custom uncheck geforce experience uncheck clean installation) then wait until installation is complete. 14. after installation is complete youll hear a sound notification even though nvidia did not ask for system restart (right click on to the monitor you should see "Nvidia Control Panel" on the pop up window and from the device manager Display Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB without error) 15. if all looks and feels good restart your laptop then adjsut nvidia physix settings to your liking 16. Enjoy your laptop PC games with DYI external gpu 🙂

enabling gpu HDMI output by setting AUTO in bios setting display

Screenshot 20190325 172755 Gallery

switched to AUTO

Screenshot 20190325 172750 Gallery

my poor setup 🙂

Screenshot 20190325 172737 Gallery

my new game 🙂

Screenshot 20190325 172730 Gallery

my new game 🙂

Screenshot 20190325 172733 Gallery

ReplyQuote
jaki_man
(@jaki_man)

Posted by: shogs

for ACER F5 572G laptop using exp gdc 8.4 NGFF version do the following: 1. get a good power supply as per required in the GPU specs (check the 12+ description in the tag 35A to 40A+ is a sign of a good power supply) 2. get an old GPU ( in my case asus gtx 1060 dual oc - GP106) 3. download and save to your laptop old drivers from 368 to 372 or higher version if necessary 4. dowload and save to your laptop DDU 5. Turn ON your laptop hit W+R type in msconfig boot to safe mode then restart 6. run DDU (NVDIA choose gpu then click on "clean and restart")  7. after restart go to the device manager "System Devices" and disable 9D10 (my internal gpu 940m) then shut down the laptop 8. Turn on again the laptop hit f2 before acer logo to enter bios then go to Advance - System Agent - Primary Display set to AUTO then shutdown your laptop 10. open your laptop cover remove the wifi module and insert the NGFF cable use some sticky tape to secure the cable then close the cover. 11. connect the beast adapter to the power supply (use 20pin from 24pin and 4pin from cpu) then connect to the dock - connect also the NGFF cable to the dock - insert your gpu to the dock (use 6pin or 8pin from the power supply) connect the hdmi cable to the gpu/tv/monitor (be sure that the dock is set to ATX -OFF and TD-OFF) 12. plugged and switched on the power supply then turn on your laptop (your tv/monitor should be working as well as your power supply fan / GPU fans) from the device manager your GPU should be detected as "microsoft basic display adapter" (these signs shows that all your components are working correctly with good power supply) 13. disconnect your wifi disable your anti virus and run nvidia driver version 372.51 which is compatible to asus gtx 1060 dual oc 3gb (choose custom uncheck geforce experience uncheck clean installation) then wait until installation is complete. 14. after installation is complete youll hear a sound notification even though nvidia did not ask for system restart (right click on to the monitor you should see "Nvidia Control Panel" on the pop up window and from the device manager Display Adapter - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB without error) 15. if all looks and feels good restart your laptop then adjsut nvidia physix settings to your liking 16. Enjoy your laptop PC games with DYI external gpu 🙂

I will try this, although i don't see the reason behind switching to "auto" in BIOS, or to be honest, i don't even know what this option does. Also i am testing with GTX 960 Windforce 2X,  and we have similar laptops, they are not 100% same. + as far as i know this generation of GPUs had much less bugs...
But nontheless, i need to repair my monitor first, so ill contact you with results afterwards with NGFF. I also ordered a m.2 M key to PCIe x4 (the thing uy above suggested) so we will see how it goes with that as well. *the second try incoming

Also one more thing, I am planning to cut the bottom of the laptop, to access the m.2 ports without opening the whole thing, but I am trying to think of a way to hold together cutted parts with the laptop case without taping it 😛 . I have a 3D printer laying around here, so maybe we can make a nice and compact solution for everyone with this, or similar laptop.

ReplyQuote
shogs
(@shogs)

valley benckmark results (btw im using samsung tv series 5 as monitor)

Screenshot 20190326 111715 Gallery

valley benchmark 2

20190326 111801

gpu z results (as a reminder check the core id/code of your gpu if its GP106 then youre in good shape)

Screenshot 20190326 111721 Gallery

NGFF cable that i used

Screenshot 20190326 112616 Gallery

ReplyQuote