Notifications
Clear all

EXP GDC Power Supply questions  

of  2
  RSS

Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

I am planning on using an EXP GDC (M.2 M Key) for my eGPU setup.

From what I gathered, a PCIe slot can only supply 75w of power and you have to plug in to the supplemental power port of your graphics card if it takes more than 75w.

I have a few of questions about this and hope that someone here knows the answers:

1. Do I need to use the supplemental power port of the graphics card if I am supplying more than enough power to the EXP GDC?  (For example a Dell DA-220, or an ATX cable) Or is it power limited to 75w draw no matter what?
  2. What about the opposite scenario?  If I am supplying more than enough power to the supplemental port do I need to supply the EXP GDC too?  Or is the supplemental port power limited to a certain draw as well?
  3. Basically I want to know if I actually need to power both externally.  If I do, can I split the Dell DA-220 and still power it off of the same power supply?
This topic was modified 1 year ago

System: Hades Canyon NUC

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

If is for M2 M KEY i "THINK" that this better than exp gdc:
https://egpu.io/go/jeyiexplicit
And have more ports *options* for psu.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
defvs
(@defvs)

What card is it ?
If the card has a power input by itself, it WON'T work. You'll get an error in the device manager.
The GPU hasn't got a "passthrough". You will need to power both the GPU and the Beast.

I highly recommend not buying an EXP GDC Beast. It has horrible signaling issues. Buy ADT-Link Link stuff. Great quality. And you'll only need a 4 pin molex connector with it (plus gpu power)

Laptop : Mi Notebook Pro, i5-8250u undervolted + TDP unlocked, 8G RAM 256G nvme, MX150-2...
eGPU : Asus STRIX 1060-6G running over ADT R43SL (15cm) M.2 with Gen3 x4

Greetings from France !

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Trusted Member

@defvs, M2 m key is playable on internal monitor?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
defvs
(@defvs)

@P4RANOID it is if you have an nvidia dGPU. -10 fps approx; depends on the card and the cpu

Laptop : Mi Notebook Pro, i5-8250u undervolted + TDP unlocked, 8G RAM 256G nvme, MX150-2...

Greetings from France !

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

@mr-ribeiro
I already have a EXP GDC 9.5 on the way.

@defvs
I looked at some of the ADT-Link stuff and I could not find any place where you connect a power source to it.  I also found the EXP GDC for $13 vs $50 for the R43SG  What do you mean signaling issues?  And which version of the EXP GDC has these issues? (Surely if its a known problem, newer versions would have sorted it out by now?)

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
defvs
(@defvs)

Posted by: Leto Atreides
I looked at some of the ADT-Link stuff and I could not find any place where you connect a power source to it.  I also found the EXP GDC for $13 vs $50 for the R43SG  What do you mean signaling issues?  And which version of the EXP GDC has these issues? (Surely if its a known problem, newer versions would have sorted it out by now?)

All version are affected to my knowledge. Their cable is really badly made. Cannot run even gen 2 signaling without often crashing.
The one EXP GDC you're talking about is an x2 lane if you paid it for 13$. The ADT-Link (find it here, 30$-40$ depending on cable length) R43 is an x4 link. But it can do Gen 3 where the EXP GDC cannot.

Greetings from France !

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

@defvs
The link you posted for Aliexpress literally says "This cable does not support the notebook external graphics card, Please do not buy!" but then it goes on to list GFX cards in the description.  Does this just mean that it doesn't support "Expresscard"?

ReplyQuote
defvs
(@defvs)

Sellers just add this to make sure you don't return it saying it doesn't work when it really is juste your laptop not supporting eGPU.

Also I had the EXP GDC 9.5 and it really is horrible. You'll get lag frames, and you'll crash often in the most demanding games. Only solution is to get down to pcie gen 2 or even 1.

Greetings from France !

ReplyQuote
Leto Atreides
(@leto_atreides)

I canceled the EXP GDC purchase and I am looking at the R43SG/R3G instead.  I started a new topic trying to get feedback on this https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/adt-link-r3g/

ReplyQuote
 of  2