Gdc Beast with GTX 670 = no Optimus....  

RSS

Gdcbeastuser22
(@gdcbeastuser22)
December 15, 2018 10:44 am  

Hello egpu users,

I am new in this section and try to run a GTX 670 ,with the GDC beast. As Powersupply, I use the dell DA 02. My setup: The dell DA is directly connected to the Gdc and from the Gdc I have a 6pin to 8pin plus 6 plus adapter. My Card needs 6pin and a 8 pin for power.

So now, I made the Setup and its running. I use DDU to erase old drivers and install the fresh new one.

The Card is accepted by the system, I have no error Codes or someting and the Card is permanently on Idle ( I see it in Gpu z it takes 7-9% Power in Idle and the Fan is running at 30%).

When I start some Benchmarks ( Directx 9, Directx 10...) The Card stays in Idle... But on one Benchmark ( Computec) Its starting up with Optimus and its running normally...

Someone any advices? It seems a Driver Problem. Nvidia locked this card maybe?

My Operating system is Windows 10 btw.:=) And I buy setup 1.35 , but I think, I dont need it, haha. 😉

greetings

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Gdcbeastuser22
(@gdcbeastuser22)
December 16, 2018 3:19 am  

Hello users,

so now I have keep it running on Optimus.

New question: Is it normal that the Gen speed is on Idle on 1.1 and switches in Powermode automaticly. to gen2 1.2. That is how it supposed to be, right?

I read, that I need setup 1.35 to apply this, but my system seems to do this automaticly, is this a view bug or real?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
December 16, 2018 6:31 am  
Posted by: Gdcbeastuser22

New question: Is it normal that the Gen speed is on Idle on 1.1 and switches in Powermode automaticly. to gen2 1.2. That is how it supposed to be, right?

Yes, PCIe link speed drops to Gen1 when it is not utilized much to save power. As long as it is at Gen2 while running a benchmark or a game, you're good.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Gdcbeastuser22
(@gdcbeastuser22)
December 16, 2018 3:30 pm  

Hello, oh tank you 😉 and I think that is my last Problem..

I Noticed, that in some Game scenarios the game is hanging and the fps is dropping deeply. So I checked  the Igpu and I noticed, that the Igpu is just working in 1-2 % and the Memory is just around at 20-50 MB. Normally when I used my Gt 740m, those numbers where a bit higher and I get sometimes the TDR Failure Bluescreen ( nvlddmkm.sys).

This leads me to DSDT Overrides or PCI Compaction to solve this, right?

greetings

ReplyQuote
(@nick_vasey)
December 23, 2018 12:05 am  

Hi,

Hmmmmm, a shot in the dark: Given that a GTX 670 alone can - depending on brand - pull anything from 150-210W under load, I suspect that, what with your GDC Beast itself wanting around 60W, your 220W power supply isn't quite up to the job. A more powerful PSU could be the answer to your problems. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 23, 2018 5:16 am  
Posted by: Nick Vasey

I suspect that, what with your GDC Beast itself wanting around 60W, your 220W power supply isn't quite up to the job. A more powerful PSU could be the answer to your problems.

The GDC Beast has no power consumption of its own aside of whatever is lost in its minimal circuitry. It doesn't consume anywhere near 2W, much less the 60W number you quote for some reason.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
(@nick_vasey)
December 23, 2018 1:02 pm  
Posted by: Yukikaze
Posted by: Nick Vasey

I suspect that, what with your GDC Beast itself wanting around 60W, your 220W power supply isn't quite up to the job. A more powerful PSU could be the answer to your problems.

The GDC Beast has no power consumption of its own aside of whatever is lost in its minimal circuitry. It doesn't consume anywhere near 2W, much less the 60W number you quote for some reason.

That's good to know, thanks. Goes to show that there's a lot of dubious information floating around the interweb regarding the GDC Beast.

My thinking remains - even with the Beast's now debunked 60W power ask - that Dell's DA-2 might not be man enough to satisfy some flavours of GTX 670's needs. After all, although the Dell DA-2 is ostensibly rated to 220W, many of these power bricks are getting pretty old and it seems reasonable to suppose that some might struggle to supply even a - let's say - consistent 180W-ish draw.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 23, 2018 8:15 pm  

@nick_vaseyYeah, that may well be right, and would make some sense with regards to the NVidia driver crashes.

@gdcbeastuser22 - Which GTX670 are you using? I ran a GTX670 off a Dell DA-2, but it was a reference model. If you have a highly OC'ed model, the Dell DA-2 might indeed not be enough.

ReplyQuote
Gdcbeastuser22
(@gdcbeastuser22)
December 23, 2018 9:08 pm  

Hello guys/girls and thank you very much your response removed link

My Card was the KFA2 EX OC with 4GB. Yeah, it was a OC Version with 4GB, but nevertheless. THe GTX 670 has a max TDP of 170Watts and in my software measurements in Benchmark for example it reaches the 80%-90% TDP for some minutes with no problems.

But I tihnk you are maybe right, that a old used DA2 cant give even a constant 150-180 watts. It is possible and reasonble, that  was maybe the cause of the driver crashes. But on the other side, that a used Da 2 gets a 30% performance lose is a bit much or not?

The reduce could be the complett package. I mean you stick it in the GDC and then with a 50cm cable the Graphics card and so on.

I am with you , it could be the DA 2.

In the end, I sold my package and make a bit lose ( over the half of the money ;)) . Lets say, I paid for the short experience.

I my opinion it is a nice thing, for people who has budget laptops and want run a bit graphics with  little money.

But for me... I want to play just with internal screen and then:the performance lose, the nerv breaking noises from the grahpics card when its use, FPS rates are not in the area that has to be and the complete setup is not really portable when the the DA 2 is not enough.

During some calculations, I came to the end point., that people who just want play in Internal screen and want keep it portable. Better stick with a real gaming Laptop. 

Why? I tell you: the lost performance over the internal screen, over budget cpus, lower transfer rates and the burned energy of the grapics card alone, who cant reach their real performance for what it was designed for and sometimes you have to do some tinkering( with the drivers and softwares) to keep it running and still there is no warranty.

Bring me to the point, to let it go. 😉 But it was a nice experience anyway.

And for people with low money outside in this world, when you really want play some games and you can not buy a Gaming laptop for some reason, give it a try with very budget setups. In this area it is a plus.

Thank you anyway guys 😉

ReplyQuote