2014 15" Asus X555FL GT930M + GTX960@4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 [SoulKnot]  

SoulKnot
(@soulknot)
June 17, 2017 11:15 pm  

Hi all.

After much struggle on my own, I decided to seek some help from the online community for my problem. 

System Specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64 170317
6gb Ram memory.
Intel Core i5 5200U @ 2.20GHZ
dGPU 930m
eGPU GTX 960 on mPCI

The problem I am having is that after DDU uninstalling previous nvidia drivers, hooking up the GTX960 and installing current latest drivers: 382.53, I get error code 31 on my card in Device Manager. 

Image 010

Image 011

I apologize for my system is in PT-BR. The error code reads "The device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Steps I followed:
- Disable automatic driver updates. 
- Removed all nVidia drivers using DDU. 

- Shut the computer down

- Plug the adapter

- Start the computer

- Install the 382.53 drivers (express install)

- Reboot again ---> Error code 31

I understand by this that simply the drivers installed did not worked properly. I have tried the same process with older drivers such as 372.70, 378.92, 382.33, 358.50 and all result in the same error. No BSODs or black screens. In this same computer a month ago, I installed a GTX 1050ti that worked wonderfully after enabling hotpluging in BIOS. I had to return it though because it was hardware faulty and though it was a smart move to get this GTX 96o instead, so that I could be on latest drivers. But so far I can't get it to run a single game. 

Also, Setting the PCIe link to GEN1 or GEN2 in BIOS seems to have no effect on this. 

Am I missing some step to have this installed correctly? Please advise on what to do. Thanks.

UPDATE: 

Hey guys!

Nando4's suggestion helped me troubleshoot the issue. I was able to find the correct PCIe port my eGPU was pluggled in. 

Ultimately though the problem was with some L1 and L2 Sub states options enabled in my BIOS for the PCIe port my card was plugged into. Those are meant to preserve energy for the laptop and it shuts off the port when it detects the eGPU.

So modding the bios file and re-flashing it did the trick. 

Thanks for the help!

Edited: 10 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Noirmist
(@noirmist)
June 22, 2017 11:21 am  

Hi SoulKnot.

Currently I'm using 376.53 (Driver version).

Hope it will solve the problem. 🙂

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
June 22, 2017 3:56 pm  

Go to Device Manager -> View -> Devices by connection. Find your dGPU then directly above it is a PCIe bridge/port. Disable that along with which your dGPU will disappear.

Now reinstall your GTX960 drivers.

If still no go, right-click the GTX960 in Device Manager and manually update it's driver by pointing to the NVidia driver directory.

Edited: 11 months  ago

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
SoulKnot
(@soulknot)
June 22, 2017 7:13 pm  

Thanks @nando4. I'll try that and report back.

Thanks @Noirmist, I 'll try that driver you suggested. Do you have any problems with latest drivers?

EDIT: I can't quote people for some reason.

Edited: 11 months  ago

ReplyQuote
SoulKnot
(@soulknot)
July 6, 2017 6:56 pm  

Hey guys!

Nando4's suggestion helped me troubleshoot the issue. I was able to find the correct PCIe port my eGPU was pluggled in. 

Ultimately though the problem was with some L1 and L2 Sub states options enabled in my BIOS for the PCIe port my card was plugged into. Those are meant to preserve energy for the laptop and it shuts off the port when it detects the eGPU.

So modding the bios file and re-flashing it did the trick. 

Thanks for the help!

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
July 8, 2017 1:44 am  

@SoulKnot, would you mind submitting an implementation guide with what you needed to do to get the eGPU running on your Asus x555FL? The thread is almost there already, just a summary in the opening post and some pics to bring it all to life is all it needs.

eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference TableeGPU Setup 1.35

ReplyQuote
SoulKnot
(@soulknot)
July 13, 2017 7:43 pm  

Yes! I'll do that soon 

I'm sorry for being intermittent with my updates here, I have very little time to play around with my eGPU project.

My setup is quite unique though, so I plan on dedicating a whole new thread to show what I've built. 

ReplyQuote
Augusto
(@augusto_theis_lenzi)
November 21, 2017 1:34 pm  

@SoulKnot I have de same problem!

Does anyone have the photo of this step?

"So modding the bios file and re-flashing it did the trick. "

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
November 22, 2017 6:38 am  

@Augusto if you have a ASUS Laptop refer to THIS link for modding your bios.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Augusto
(@augusto_theis_lenzi)
November 22, 2017 10:51 am  

@dani_tx My computer is an "HP Envy 17t-j000" with Win 7 (Is there an ISO for MBR-Win 10?).

I made every step of other errors, and now I'm geting the error "Cod. 31" (The device is not working properly because Windows can not load the necessary drivers for this device. (Code 31)).

My note recognize the eGPU but get the Code 31.

Specifications:

- SO: Win-7-64bits (MBR)

- HP Envy 17t-j000

- iGPU: Intel Core i7 4600

- dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M 2Gb

- eGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6Gb

ReplyQuote
dani_tx
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member
November 22, 2017 4:14 pm  

@Augusto do your research at what is MBR and GPT and how to install it.Use THIS site do download the windows(it's legit).Start reading the posts here,there are many workarounds on how to make it work.What i can tell you(and i really don't need your opinion on it) is that you are limited to WINDOWS 10 ANNIVERSARY UPDATE(as of now),if you have hotplug enabled you can mange to install 378.92 driver(see the post on how to),without hotplug 375.70 and that's it.If you expect to have all the latest and greatest better start saving for a new PC.Everyone start cutting support for mPCIE/Express Card setups so most likely there will be no more solutions.

Edited: 6 months  ago

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

Augusto liked
ReplyQuote
Augusto
(@augusto_theis_lenzi)
November 22, 2017 4:43 pm  

@dani_tx Thanks! I'll search more and try make it work!

ReplyQuote