Setup & Software Discussions
HP Elitebook 830 G5 + M.2 EGPU with Shappire RX 5700XT pulse has unstable VR wit...

HP Elitebook 830 G5 + M.2 EGPU with Shappire RX 5700XT pulse has unstable VR with Oculus RIFT S headset  

RSS

sskillz
(@sskillz)

Hi,
I'm debugging a issue since I got a new GPU, that my Oculus rift S headset keeps having unstable tracking when the card is connected to the 4x M.2 slot.
I'm get tracking and camera passthrough jitter, black screens,  games not starting, and loss of sound after a big jitter.

I have a HP Elitebook 830, R43SL, R43SG, Shappire RX 5700XT pulse GPU with latest drivers, and I'm booting
from a M.2 SSD USB 3.1 enclosure since the m.2 slot is taken.

I'm using a Seasonic 800W power supply to power the card, and with the R43SG I've tried connecting ATX power, CPU power (4 pins), and another CPU power in the DELL slot (BE CAREFUL, it's pinout is upside down compared to CPU power!) to try and climate any power draw issues from the PCI-E connector or if possible from the M.2. The laptop power supply is 65W and under high performance the battery discharges, leading me to think this might be a power issue. To cut the power draw from the laptop supply, I disabled hyper threading and boost, any unnecessary port, and limit the cpu speed to 75%. The battery was sitting at 99%-100% but still same issue.

I also tried my desktop PC, I connected the R43SL to it's M.2 slot, same issues. This was using a single FSP 500W PSU, just the m.2 instead of pci-e.
Connecting the card normally to pci-e, everything works.

With the laptop, the issue happens with both M.2 Adapters. Some games don't even start - pavlov for example and that happened on both computers.
I tried different usb slots for the oculus rift, and the SDD enclosure (SSD on thunderbolt, rift on usb 3, and reversed).

All this doesn't happen with my old RX 470 card.

What I didn't try yet:
The usbs on the dock connector, Maybe it's a bandwidth issue, and the usb is using some of the PCI bandwidth? Maybe the dock will use a different lanes...
Using a bigger laptop power supply.
Using a power 3.0 hub for rift s usb.
Using a usb 2.0 extender for the ssd enclosure to force it on 2.0 speed.

And idea what can be? Is the USB/thunderbolt sharing the lanes with the M.2 connector? Can the M.2 adapters try and take much current from the 
laptop?

Thanks,
Paul.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
guozzi
(@guozzi)

Hi,

Thank you for the post! I was looking for thunderbold 3 information on the elitebook 830 G5, but couldn't find any.

Can you check whether the thunderbold 3 port on your 830 G5 is 4 lanes or 2 lanes?

Thanks!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
sskillz
(@sskillz)

Posted by: @guozzi

Hi,

Thank you for the post! I was looking for thunderbold 3 information on the elitebook 830 G5, but couldn't find any.

Can you check whether the thunderbold 3 port on your 830 G5 is 4 lanes or 2 lanes?

Thanks!

Its 2x

Untitled

ReplyQuote
guozzi
(@guozzi)

Thanks for the answer! Now I know which model I should get~

ReplyQuote