Setup & Software Discussions
HP Elitebook 840 G5 WWAN M.2 Key B port will not work with eGPU

HP Elitebook 840 G5 WWAN M.2 Key B port will not work with eGPU  

RSS

egpu_newbie
(@egpu_newbie)

Hello,

I write this as a warning to future buyers. Dont buy the Delock Riser Card M.2 Key B+M and plug it into the free WWAN M.2 Key B slot and expect it to work. When I use the setup below nothing happens. No new device shows up in the device manager. Not sure what the fault is. Maybe whitelist? Maybe the WWAN slot only support SATA? Maybe some other BIOS setting is wrong? Ohh well the Delock Riser was around €30 so no big loss. But hopefully this information will help someone in the future. I guess I could test it in the Key M slot but then I have no SSD so it will be hard to start the computer..

• HP Elitebook 840 G5
  • Delock Riser Card M.2 Key B+M
  • Geforce GTX 670

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

WWAN port is wired for USB. You’d need to use the wifi port, or as I had done successfully, use the M.2 (NVME) slot for a x4 3.0 eGPU using say a ADT-Link R43SG.  If using it that way note that the system’s single drive slot then means booting external USB or Thunderbolt storage.

The Elitebook 840 G5 allows you to unlock the CPU TDP with Throttlestop, giving even a i5-8350U performance similar to the 7th-gen H core CPUs. Below was a morsel of the impressive benchmarking I did on this system. Really nice notebook too.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-gaming/forza-4-benchmarks/#post-53800

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
kuzco639
(@kuzco639)

Thank you for the warning @egpu_newbie.

I have a HP Elitebook 850 G4 (pretty close model) and was able to move the M.2 NVMe SSD to the 2,5" SATA slot (not sure you have a 2,5" slot on the 14" model). I tried using an ADT-Link R43SG as suggested by nando4 on the M.2 NVMe slot but it does not work for the moment. I tried every solution listed in the How-to tutorial and it seems the HP laptop has whitelisting (or something else that does not allow the eGPU to be detected).

@nando4, I purchased DIY eGPU setup to further troubleshoot this situation but I am still waiting on the download instructions for the software. If you see this post, please contact me.

Laptop: HP EliteBook 850 G4
Desktop: Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon Vega 64

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@kuzco639 , your fr**.** email address is bouncing emails.  Pls email me from another account so can reply.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
kuzco639
(@kuzco639)

@nando4, Ok I just sent you a email from a @live.fr address.

Thank you @nando4 for your quick reply, I just downloaded the software.

I will try further and will keep the post updated with my results.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Laptop: HP EliteBook 850 G4
Desktop: Ryzen 5 3600, Radeon Vega 64

ReplyQuote