HP Elitebook 8570w w/ MSI GTX 1060 6GB via ExpressCard EXP GDC 8.4d and DELL DA-...

Notifications
Clear all

HP Elitebook 8570w w/ MSI GTX 1060 6GB via ExpressCard EXP GDC 8.4d and DELL DA-2 - Low TDP/Power Consumption  

of  2
  RSS

moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

Hey Guys,

Specs:
CPU: i7 3820QM @ 2,7 GHz
RAM: Samsung 8GB 1600 MHz
MB: Hewlett-Packard 176B with Intel QM77 (Panther Point) Chipset
dGPU: K2000M
nVidia ForceWare Driver Version 372.70 (without Optimus, this HP elitebook does not support it...)

finally, with nandos help+setup 1.35, i got my setup running. But i'm experiencing some problems:

I started testing games like GTA V, BF4, Far Cry 4. At first it runs very fluid (45-60fps) on almost max settings but then suddenly it drops to around 30 fps and then ramps up again to happen again after a couple of 5 to 10 seconds. I can play games but i find this kind of stuttering not very satisfying (i know that a 1060 is propably bottlenecked by the small PCI bandwidth of EC. EC is set to V2.0 in BIOS). So i tried to monitor what is happening with MSI Afterburner and HWinfo and found out that the power usage of my card is only around ~40%/70W with full load of GPU at 99 to 100%. In game when it drops little under 70W i noticed that i have the aforementioned drops. I also looked up the power limit in AB but it is set to 100%. I'm wondering, because i saw a lot of videos where people get e.g. with BF4 stable 50 to 60fps with an eGPU like a 960/70/80 or even with a 1060 normal stable fps around 35 to 45fps but not these drops? Is it normal that the power consumption is that low? For me it is not using its full power which is given by MSI around 120W. Did anyone of you experience likewise problems with power consumption? I tried a lot of googling and some suggested that the DA-2 is not using the full power when plugged into a power bar instead of a direct wall plug. Another people suggested that it is a faulty card. Furthermore suggested that one should update the vBIOS, but since i don't want to destroy my expensive card i would prefer another solution...

thanks for reading! hopefully somebody of you can help...

mo3kLo4r

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Plz 1st of all, try with a standard power supply.

The usual consumption of a  GTX970 is 170watt but peak with more than 200watt, that is the limit for the DA power supply.

So again try with a dedicated named power supply to check if there is any improvement regarding the frame stability.

The second thing could be you cpu turbo boost that drop after a certain time, you can also use throttlestop to feed your cpu at 100% removing the cpu power issues, if supported.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 270X@4Gbps-mPCIe (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

Thanks for the reply!

To avoid misunderstanding because you referred to a 970, i have a 1060... the maximum power consumption the seller wrote on its page is 120w. Would the DA power supply be enough for it? I thought so...

Ok but then i have to look for a dedicated PSU because i do not own one...

TurboBoost: When i use the full power of my CPU (Energy settings in Windows set to High Performance) the CPU temperature rises up to ~80 degrees especially in GTA V (other games are not that high but higher than without TurboBoost). Because i'm afraid of drastically reducing the lifetime of my processor i set the maximum CPU usage to 99% so that the TurboBoost doesn't kick in.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

You will not reduce the lifetime, the only way to drastically reduce it's lifetime is to feed it with more volt than intel specs when overclocking, even with that you cpu will last 30years instead 40years if it didn't die before. My old 10 years Q6660 was overclocked with 1.45v@3.8ghz back in the time, it still work even it didn't hold anymore this oc clock because of voltage push. And now intel itself push more than 1.4v to get a 7700K to 4.5Ghz base, go figure what companies said to you!

So the only thing is to keep your t° under 90°, it's usual for laptop cpu, over 90/100° full load the cpu will throttle lowering the performances, reducing his turbo/base clock. Over that it will just automatically shut down normally avoiding damage.

So you need to assess where the stutter/fps lost came from, if it is a power problem with the 1060, at this point i don't think, since it consume far less than a GTX970, so the Dell DA should be ok.

Then assess you cpu performances/T°, repaste the cpu with fresh thermal paste if you have the knowledge to unmount it without brooking it. Or try throttlestop and check the ingame framerate.

Find a tool like speedfan or dedicated tool to manage the laptop fan speed, i know full speed is loud, but if this could help the cpu why not.

E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo ThinkPad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Noble Member Moderator

80c for a laptop CPU is a completely fine temperature. They are rated for 100-105C and there are very few laptops that keep their CPUs under 80c when under heavy load. You're perfectly fine.

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 480 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

thanks for the replies guys! I'll have a look at throttlestop then. One thing which comes now to my mind is, that when i run Unigine Valley i get really high fps and almost no stutters. In the end i have a score of 2238 (TurboBoost off) and 2290 (TB on). The latter with minFPS ~26 instead of ~19 with TB off (besides the topic, how would you rate these scores in general?)

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Noble Member Moderator

What settings/resolution are you running at? Without that, it is impossible to compare.

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2012 Mac Mini [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 480 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (Atto Thunderlink) + macOS 10.15.7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

sorry missed that! 1080p and ultra settings, dx 11 (still Win7), no AA

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

My basic R9 290 stock do 2600pts +/- on an high end old rig, valley set to 1080p extreme HD.

You 1060 is equal or even more powerful than the 290 stock, so you should be around 2900pts. (nailed it: here)

Being an eGPU solution coupled with a laptop, the score is quite good. But nothing to do with with 1060 desktop performances. 

My 290 once highly overclock score 3300pts, an overclocked 1060 should not be so far, 3200pts +/-. (just for the sake of benching and see numbers ^^)

Try with AA to stress the card, what i just write was under Extreme HD preset, 1080p.

Do you have the Turbo TDP lock option in your bios? Did you have a modded bios on your laptop?

Just do some basic test, try the games with TB ON/OFF, then add throttlestop to the equation. To notice if the issue reappear or not to exclude/include the cpu as issue.

You can also then try with lower gaming resolutions to see if it alleviate the cpu work, again checking if your issue is still there.

Did you have the 3GB or 6GB version?

Also download the software to control your 1060, you can monitor T°/fan speed/TDP with and bump a bit the TDP limit, but without overclocking, to allow the card to fully draw power from the Dell DA. Check again if you got these weird lags.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
moekloar
(@mo3klo4r)
Eminent Member

I've got the 6GB version

the bios of the elitebook is really shit. not many options like Turbo TDP lock. I did no bios modding because i do not have the experience and knowledge to do it, atm to risky. When i just put on high performance mode in energy settings with throttlestop it seems quite stable, but now to have at least a little fun playing BF 4 i turned down the quality settings. I'm wondering that i get only 30-40fps when putting the ultra setting with 1080p on. This guy has a newer and better cpu and the whole system is a desktop but he gets around 100 fps and, as seen in the first row in the OSDlisting, his power consumption goes up to 108% sometimes. Mine is always around 40%. I still assume this is the problem. But until i do not have another PSU i cannot test -.-

what do you mean with your last sentence? which software do you mean (as i wrote in the first post i have msi afterburner)? how to bump the tdp limit when i do not overclock?

another question: when i set up throttlestop and hit the disable turbo box my cpu puts out 2,69 something GHz. Is there any possibility to push it to around 3 GHz? Via the multiplier for example? I know that i have to be very careful with all that settings...

thanks a lot for your input!

ReplyQuote
 of  2