Setup & Software Discussions
Interest in Expresscard>generic PCIe riser adapter?

Interest in Expresscard>generic PCIe riser adapter?  

RSS

jc2222
(@jc2222)

Hello,

I am looking to gauge interest in a custom PCB solution for the generic PCIe riser cards discussed here:  https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/us7-50-generic-mpcie-egpu-adapter/

The plan is to source the 26-pin connector, USB3.0 female connector, and design a small custom PCB to connect them together. The board could also potentially break out the USB2.0 lines. I'm doing this primarily for educational purposes since EC is a dying standard but if there is enough interest I may try to make a larger batch once the design is finished, since a DIY adapter is not an option for everyone. Expected cost for the adapter would be in $15-20 range for a plug-and-play solution for Expresscard users in combination with the generic adapter.

Please let me know what you think.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

MýnÆnglishTáwk, Yukikaze, 3RYL and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
esatamacmodular
(@esatamacmodular)
Estimable Member

I'm always a fan of stuff like this because it adds value to existing computer gear. Even at 1x the bump in speed is much better value than laptop internal GPUs from a couple years ago ... and less heat on the motherboard is a big win. good luck.

iMac 2013 10.14.1, Macbook Air 2013 10.11, MBP 2016 13" 10.13.6 , HP 4530s 10.11, node lite, DA-2 PSU w/mod, PE4L 2.1b expresscard34, GTX460,1050Ti,1060,1070/Ti RX470,560,580

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Heck, I'll buy one! Good luck!

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Arbystrider
(@arbystrider)
Eminent Member

What exactly is it that you are attempting to do? Is it essentially this but on a larger scale?

ThinkPad X230t, i7-3520M @ 2.9 GHz, Windows 7
EVGA GTX 1070 Hybrid, 2113 MHz @ 1043 mV
x1.2Opt, PE4C V3.0, 4Gbps-EC2

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

I think this is unnecessary, cuz the bandwidth is very small to put, super powered gpus eg: 1070-2080

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
JimbobTheSailor
(@jimbobthesailor)

I would definitely pay for something like this.  Have you made progress with it?

I have a bunch of spare risers from mining and would really love to buy just an adapter that goes into the ExpressCard slot that would take the USB cable from the riser.  I'd pay a price that I'm sure would be a good markup for any manufacturer.

I'm amazed this doesn't exist given that the EXP GDC Beast has an EC option.  I've been looking for a eGPU-to-EC setup for years and thought I was all alone until I recently found this site.  Great to know eGPU is not as niche as I thought, but surprised there's no PCIe riser-to-ExpressCard solution on the market.

HW tools do a 1x PCIe slot to EC adapter, but it's discontinued and I think it cost over $100.

DIYman's project here looks like an excellent solution, but it requires soldering the connectors onto and for the time it would take to make and debug, the EXP GDC Beast is a more attractive option.

Dell Precision M4300 | Win10 Pro | T8300 2.4GHZ Core2 Duo | 965PM chipset | 256GB SSD | 4GB RAM | AMD RX 570 into WWAN

ReplyQuote
jc2222
(@jc2222)

Hello,

This is definitely still on my to-do list but progress has been slow. I did find a source for a limited quantity of mating Expresscard connectors, so there's that.

The bandwidth being limited to 4Gbps (PCIe 2.0 x1) is definitely a limitation, but I'm not expecting to break any records with this setup. The main benefits would be the learning process in designing the board, and possibly making a solution for people who want to use the EC ports for testing, etc.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

@jc2222 - Checking in to say I am still interested 🙂

This post was modified 2 months ago

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
JimbobTheSailor
(@jimbobthesailor)

@jc2222  I'm not sure if you're planning to sell the quantity of these that would pay for the time you've invested, but just to give you a use case showing how popular this could be even with a 4Gbps bandwidth limit:

Core2 Duo CPUs are the last generation of Intel mobile CPUs that were interchangeable (AFAIK), meaning that you can get a 2010 Core2 Duo laptop for next to nothing, upgrade to the fastest CPU it'll handle for $20 (a 2.8GHz Core2 Duo can really hold it's own), take the RAM up to 8GB for a little more cash, add an SSD if u need and you have a laptop that can handle all home usage except 3D gaming.  Granted, it's not worth connecting to a 2080 eGPU, but if you have the budget for that, you're unlikely to have a 2010 laptop.  A $50 R9 380 is gonna let you play some pretty amazing games.  Not the most modern ones, but definitely some recent ones, and a great game is always a great game, no matter what year it's from.

If you think about how many gamers there are in the world living on a budget, and how much more convenient it is to connect the eGPU via EC than mPCI, you can imagine this would be a popular option even in 2019.

Anyway, keep up the good work, I hope it's successful!

Dell Precision M4300 | Win10 Pro | T8300 2.4GHZ Core2 Duo | 965PM chipset | 256GB SSD | 4GB RAM | AMD RX 570 into WWAN

ReplyQuote