Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 + GTX 780 Ti + EXP GDC Beast eGPU setup possible?  

RSS

Obsolescence
(@obsolescence)
January 31, 2017 6:55 pm  

Would it be possible for me to get a functional eGPU setup on a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 with a NVIDIA GTX 780 ti, the EXP GDC Beast adapter, and the DIY eGPU software?

I saw a YouTube video of a Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 eGPU setup using an EXP GDC Beast Adapter and a NVIDIA GTX 970:

This person changed a setting in the bios for "graphic device" to "UMA" to get the GTX 970 GPU detected in Windows.

I saw another video on YouTube of a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 eGPU setup using an EXP GDC Beast Adapter and an AMD XFX Radeon RX 480:

Apparently, this person did not have to change any bios settings to get the XFX Radeon RX 480 detected in Windows.

After seeing the two videos above, you would believe that you would be able to get a GTX 780 Ti to work in an eGPU setup on a Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 with the EXP GDC Beast adapter.

I tried it. I could not get the GTX 780 Ti detected in Windows with the EXP GDC Adapter connected to a Mini-PCIE x1 port on the laptop. I figured it was some sort of a bios issue. I went and got my Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 bios modded using the SVL7 tools from TechInferno so I could have access to other hidden bios options. I changed many video settings, but none of them worked. There was no option to select "UMA" in the video configuration, and I do not have the ability to use Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics on the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 despite the fact there are Lenovo IdeaPad Y580 models that have almost the same/similar specifications as my own laptop in addition to the ability to switch to "UMA" mode and use Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics. I eventually disabled a "PCIE Reset Delay" setting and enabled the "always enable PEG" option in the video configuration in the bios while the GTX 780 Ti and EXP GDC Beast was connected to a Mini-PCIE x1 port on the laptop. After I did that, I could no longer boot the laptop and access the bios. I still have not solved this problem, and I'm having trouble removing the CMOS battery to reset the bios because it appears to be soldered to the motherboard. I can provide further information about the laptop if need be.  I uploaded some photos of the laptop's original bios settings after I modded it:

https://postimg.org/gallery/jiuaqrq6/

I know that the Lenovo IdeaPad Y500 is not on the eGPU candidate list, but if you watched those two YouTube, you would think an eGPU setup might work on the laptop.

I did not know about the DIY eGPU software, where to purchase it, and how it works before my laptop was bricked. I want to know if an eGPU setup is possible on my laptop using the DIY eGPU software, and I'm willing to try it if I can ever get my laptop working again. If it is possible with the software, then how would I need to configure DIY eGPU? Is the DIY eGPU software the thing that I'm missing to get an eGPU setup to work, and is this a case where DIY eGPU is needed?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 1, 2017 2:28 am  

Pls follow the instructions at the following URL to get system booted and eGPU detected:  https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/ . If then see error 12 then can refer to:

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
tns1
 tns1
(@tns1)
February 9, 2017 1:03 pm  

Hi.  I used egpu with my y500 last year.  Gtx670 and gt650m works same time. I didn't  change any settings or bios version.  Whitelist doesn't block egpu.  

Unistall nvidia drivers.

Shutdown pc.  

Remove wlan card

Setup egpu hardware.  (exp gdc beast,   dell da2 adaptor, zotac gtx670 amp,  aoc monitor) 

Turn on computer.  

Setup nvidia driver for gtx670. 

That is all. 

sorry for my bad english.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Manas
(@manas)
April 3, 2017 3:15 pm  

HELLO TNS1 I HAVE TRIED WITH MY Y500 BY GDC v8 BEAST,(pc is detecting both cards but only gt 650m is taking the advantage) I Hv connected the graphics card "hdmi" port to external monitor even though the external monitor is not turning on, i am having win 8.1 ... wat spec do u have.. win 10 ?n wat cable r u using hdmi or vga?? need help.. and cud u plz share ur procedure for doing all this things.thanks 🙂

ReplyQuote
Obsolescence
(@obsolescence)
May 6, 2017 8:48 pm  

Hi all.

I actually managed to get this to work, but never got myself together to make another post here until now. The process is much the same as what you see in the second video I posted above, what tns1 has stated in his post.

I had faulty hardware which was preventing the detection of eGPU.

Once I took care of the faulty hardware problem, I had to set the ATX switch on the EXP GDC Adapter to the ON position so that the PSU would be permanently on. Then, I had to connect everything properly and turn the ATX power supply on FIRST prior to turning the laptop on so that the GPU would be detected in Windows. If I turned the laptop on and then powered up the GPU, the GPU would power up and the fans on the GPU would spin much faster usual, but the GPU wouldn't get detected at all as what was shown by the Windows device manager.

The eGPU would show up in Windows device manager as "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" at which point a fresh install of NVIDIA drivers was necessary.  Once that finished, I needed to open the NVIDIA Control Panel and set the external monitor (the monitor which the eGPU was connected to) as the primary display in the "Set up multiple displays." I couldn't use the internal display of the laptop for the eGPU.

I have done some benchmarks, and the performance of the factory overclocked 780 ti that I'm using as an eGPU is on returning the same results or similar level (at least according to the benchmarks) as 2013 15" Mac Book Pro GT750M + [email protected] (Sonnet III-D) found online for half the throughput and also on par with the factory overclocked GTX 780s (Yes, the GTX 780, this is not a typo to be confused with the 780 Ti).

ReplyQuote
Obsolescence
(@obsolescence)
May 7, 2017 2:30 am  

I would like to state that I had some additional links here in my original posts regarding the problems I was having initially, and the previous post that I just made. The links had some other relevant information,  but the posts were edited and the links were removed. The posts were not edited by me.

Also, it is possible to turn on the ATX power supply after turning on the laptop and get the eGPU detected, but you have to press ESC to interrupt the boot process on first startup and start it back up again or reboot the laptop (with the ATX switch ON on the EXP GDC Adapter ON as I have described in my previous post). I know it might sound somewhat confusing, but I wanted to make sure I mentioned it because that does work. It is better to ignore this way of doing it and do the way I have described in my previous post.

ReplyQuote
Jorgedrake
(@jorgedrake)
July 14, 2017 4:23 am  

Hello

I have not managed to make this work (with the ATX switch ON on the EXP GDC Adapter ON)  and I can not get it to work on the external monitor, the pc recognizes me the worst card this does not show any image

what am I doing wrong?

Excuse my bad english

regards

ReplyQuote
Shurrik
(@shurrik)
December 6, 2018 7:37 pm  

So I got my Lenovo Y500 with the 3630QM I7 CPU and 8GB RAM and got it running with the GTX 1060 with 6GB. It was kind of tricky because I had to install that modified old NVIDIA Driver v. 369 with the not clean installation of newer drivers (tried several). This got rid of the error 43 for me. Also I had to wrap my EXP GDC in tinfoil and dont get regular crashed on heavy load of the card. 
I also deactivated the 650GM grafics cards of the Laptop, as well as the sound of the egpu and setup an external Display (60 Hz). Everything fine so far...when I play witcher 3 or run heaven benchmark I get the 100% GPU usage, while the RAMs and the CPU are below that and comparable to what other people get, as far as I can tell after researching. 
So the results I get are as follows:
In witcher 3 with all the Hairworks Settings off and everything als on High (not highest) I get like 26-45 fps with like 32 on average. Fortunatley there are many people out there who show there Performance in this game with the GTX1060. Their results show, that witcher 3 should easily be running on max settings at 60 fps or even more! 
So I'm asking myself whats wrong with my system? If the GPU usage is 100% then the bandwidth can not be the problem I guess??

In heaven benchmark I get a score of 1260 ony, while others with that card and less CPU performance get 2000 and more...
(1080p, extreme tesselation, ultra quality, AA 8x)

Ive done a lot of research and also tried disabling microsoft services on startup, nvidia setup on most performance and overclocking...helps a little but not much. please help. thank you

ReplyQuote