Lenovo T420 & EXP GDC Beast v8.0 Expresscard problem

Notifications
Clear all

Lenovo T420 & EXP GDC Beast v8.0 Expresscard problem  

RSS

Pablo
(@pablo)

Hello people i registered on this forum in hope that someone will help me fix my problem.
So I bought EXP GDC Beast v 8.0 to gain some fps in older games (HL1 source, HL2 and COD4) since my integrated HD3000 is very weak.
My setup - T420
i5 2520 @ 2.5 GHz
8GB DDR3
128GB SSD
EXP GDC v8.0 express card version
PSU 550W
nVidia GTX 260
Win10 x64

First i got error 43 - that was with 34x.xx drivers. I fix that with installing older drivers 290.53. Now in device manager integrated and GTX260 are functioning properly. ...but I cannot make GTX260 my primary GPU. If i disable HD3000 my screen resolution goes to 1024 x 768 and I cannot change it up to default 1366x768 until I re-enable integrated gpu. If i run game with integrated gpu enabled i know it's running on integrated gpu instead of external GTX260. I monitor everything with fraps and gpu-z and see that gpu clocks of gtx260 are at idle and gpu load is 0% no matter what stress program i run.

In BIOS i don't see any option for disabling integrated GPU.

How to make GTX260 default GPU without of external monitor ?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
3RYL
 3RYL
(@3ryl)
Eminent Member

Hello there. I'm not sure the GTX 260 supports optimus for internal display acceleration, I remember some mention about it requiring a GTS 450 or newer card.

Now about disabling the HD3000, It needs to be running for optimus to work. If the external card supports optimus, it will redirect the video to the HD3000, which then will display it on the laptop screen.

Chimera ~ 2011 15" Dell Vostro 3550 HD6630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) +Win7
My adapter models for eGPU case projects

ReplyQuote
Pablo
(@pablo)

Thanks for quick reply.

So in any case I don't need to disable internal graphics card? 

What are my options now? 
1.) Buy newer graphics card? 
2.} Buy external monitor?? Will it work with GTX260 on external monitor?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
3RYL
 3RYL
(@3ryl)
Eminent Member

Yeah. If you had a discrete gpu it could be necessary to disable it for the eGPU to be detected/run on internal display.
From what I have seen so far integrated graphics won't cause any problems.

Searching in the Builds page, I have seen that MoMo got his egpu running at internal display using a T420s but still no threads about a T420 here. There are some posts showing sucess in other forums. My guess is that your T420 should work fine on internal display eGPU acceleration, as the systems are similar. It's up to you to choose what to do next.

With an external monitor you will get more performance than on internal display. Though it's not as portable.
You could try it if you have a tv with a compatible interface or a monitor you can borrow for testing.

Chimera ~ 2011 15" Dell Vostro 3550 HD6630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) +Win7
My adapter models for eGPU case projects

Pablo liked
ReplyQuote
Pablo
(@pablo)

Yes I saw MoMo's topic. But he has T420s and he i using GTX1050TI. I searched this subforum i found that i need at least 6xx series of nvidia GPU to use on laptop internal screen. Or i can fake external screen with resistor and try that way. Because I dont have anyone to borrow me monitor ( i'm not in my hometown )

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Consider using Win10 1803's accelerated internal LCD more as explained at the following link:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/windows-10-spring-update-1803-and-bootcamp-egpu-for-macs/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
Pablo
(@pablo)

Thanks for replying. But it's more work than benefit. I will buy new graphics card that supports internal display or buy some cheap used external monitor. Must see which one is cheaper - monitor or graphics card 4xx or newer.

And one more question. I have some ati Shapphire 4870 at desk pc. Will internal lcd on laptop work with this card as egpu?? I know it's a slim chance but i must ask. 

ReplyQuote
Pablo
(@pablo)

Well i found answer regarding using ati card. It's a no go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/4g5ykt/t420_egpu_my_experience/

ReplyQuote