Setup & Software Discussions
Lenovo T430 + EXP GDC Beast + GTX 1050Ti

Lenovo T430 + EXP GDC Beast + GTX 1050Ti  

RSS

funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Hello, this is my first post on this site, apologies in advance if anything is missing or if this post is out of place.

I'm using a Lenovo T430 with 8gb RAM and an i7 3612qm, an EXP GDC Beast, a GTX 1050Ti, and Windows 10. Booting with the EXP GDC connected results in a black screen. Hotplugging just after POST, while Windows is loading, after Windows has loaded, before logging in, or after logging in results in the eGPU not being detected. Hibernating in Windows 10, hotplugging, and returning from hibernation results in a black screen. Seeing no further options, I decided to purchase the eGPU DIY Setup. Upon first use it didn't seem to do anything, but when it rebooted there was no black screen, Windows loaded properly, and the device was recognized. I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, restarted, still no black screen, but I was getting errors. At this point I decided to run to Walmart (only place open right now) to get a cable to connect my eGPU to an external monitor (out of town, brought the monitor, forgot the cable). I get back and once again the eGPU is not being detected no matter what CTD/PTD options I try, no matter when I hotplug, nothing is working. I uninstall the Nvidia drivers and continue testing but I'm once again stuck at the eGPU not being detected.

Was curious if anyone knew where to go from here. Thanks in advance.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Pls permanently "ON" your PSU to aid with troubleshooting as described at the following thread and work through detection issues listed there:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Posted by: nando4

Pls permanently "ON" your PSU to aid with troubleshooting as described at the following thread and work through detection issues listed there:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/

I'm not sure how I am supposed to bridge the pins with the EXP GDC Beast being in a plastic housing and the Dell DA-2 being plugged directly into the 8-pin power connector.

EDIT: I took the housing off of the EXP GDC (lucky I had a couple little screwdrivers), but the picture showing the jump is between an 8-pin male and 6-pin female. What plugs need to be jumped between an 8-pin male and 8-pin female?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

To permanently "ON" a Dell DA-2: bridge pins 5+6 with paperclip [remote+GND].  (another  pic). Explained here.  Can be done on the outer housing you are attaching to the Dell DA-2.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I don't know if it's different on earlier versions of the beast, but on my v8.4d having the ATX switch set to ON does the exact same thing as manually jumpering the power supply. That's why the switch is there.

ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Successfully bridged the pins, thanks for the help everyone. Detection issue is resolved, installed Nvidia drivers, now I'm stuck on Code 43 again.

EDIT: Only things I found in the troubleshooting guide corresponding with Code 43 deal with using an Nvidia dGPU with an Nvidia eGPU but my T430 has no dGPU, only the Intel HD 4000 iGPU and the drivers are currently uninstalled.

EDIT2: I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers using DDU and it reverted to Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter or whatever. Reinstalled the drivers again through Nvidia GeForce Experience and I'm back where I was 10 minutes ago. Still at Code 43.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: funklahoma

Successfully bridged the pins, thanks for the help everyone. Detection issue is resolved, installed Nvidia drivers, now I'm stuck on Code 43 again.

EDIT: Only things I found in the troubleshooting guide corresponding with Code 43 deal with using an Nvidia dGPU with an Nvidia eGPU but my T430 has no dGPU, only the Intel HD 4000 iGPU and the drivers are currently uninstalled.

EDIT2: I uninstalled my Nvidia drivers using DDU and it reverted to Microsoft Basic VGA Adapter or whatever. Reinstalled the drivers again through Nvidia GeForce Experience and I'm back where I was 10 minutes ago. Still at Code 43.

No mention of whether you are using mPCIe or expresscard. Regardless, see the following which was linked off the previous referred link: https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/nvidia-is-killing-off-mpciengff-m2-egpus-error-43-with-372-90/

Posted by: Plastixx

I don't know if it's different on earlier versions of the beast, but on my v8.4d having the ATX switch set to ON does the exact same thing as manually jumpering the power supply. That's why the switch is there.

Would you mind posting a pic of the 'ATX on' switch that can be used as a reference?

ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Posted by: nando4

No mention of whether you are using mPCIe or expresscard. Regardless, see the following which was linked off the previous referred link: https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/nvidia-is-killing-off-mpciengff-m2-egpus-error-43-with-372-90/

I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned it was ExpressCard but it must've been elsewhere. EXP GDC Beast ExpressCard is what I'm using.

EDIT: Unless Nvidia fixes this with a future driver update, there does not appear to be a solution short of selling/returning my 1050Ti and getting a 1060 that is compatible with the old (372.90) driver (before the Code 43 hotplug issue began) or getting an equivalent AMD card that doesn't suffer the driver issue at all (I don't plan on using my eGPU on the internal monitor anyway). Correct me if I am wrong.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

You are quite correct. Assuming this is indeed the issue you're running into (Code 43 is typically associated with mPCIe and m.2, not Expresscard solutions), and you can return the 1050Ti, I suggest you do so. I'd also advise against the 1060, simply because you don't want to be stuck on the same old driver forever.

Assuming you are in the US: You can get an RX 470 for 149.99$ now, or a RX 480 4GB for 164.99$. You can get similar cards even cheaper at Jet.com if you are a new customer with them, as they currently offer 15% for the first three orders by new customers. Both cards will run off a Dell DA-2 adapter which works perfectly with the Beast.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ygohome liked
ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Posted by: Yukikaze

You are quite correct. Assuming this is indeed the issue you're running into (Code 43 is typically associated with mPCIe and m.2, not Expresscard solutions), and you can return the 1050Ti, I suggest you do so. I'd also advise against the 1060, simply because you don't want to be stuck on the same old driver forever.

Assuming you are in the US: You can get an RX 470 for 149.99$ now, or a RX 480 4GB for 164.99$. You can get similar cards even cheaper at Jet.com if you are a new customer with them, as they currently offer 15% for the first three orders by new customers. Both cards will run off a Dell DA-2 adapter which works perfectly with the Beast.

The problem with this is that I purchased my EXP GDC secondhand and did not have the 6-pin to dual 8-pin cable that normally comes with it so I have no way to provide external power to the card. That's basically the entire reason I got the 1050Ti. So not only do I have to sell/return this card, I have to get a more expensive card as well as an ATX PSU.

Thanks Nvidia. Guess I'll go AMD since you're worthless.

ReplyQuote
carage
(@carage)

Try 375.63

ReplyQuote
owlery
(@owlery)

RX 470 is more powerful, but there is a difference between the 1050 Ti due to pci-e x1 bandwidth?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

I'm sorry, I thought I had mentioned it was ExpressCard but it must've been elsewhere. EXP GDC Beast ExpressCard is what I'm using.

EDIT: Unless Nvidia fixes this with a future driver update, there does not appear to be a solution short of selling/returning my 1050Ti and getting a 1060 that is compatible with the old (372.90) driver (before the Code 43 hotplug issue began) or getting an equivalent AMD card that doesn't suffer the driver issue at all (I don't plan on using my eGPU on the internal monitor anyway). Correct me if I am wrong.

Per https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/ check if GPU-Z reports ard clock info. If not, work through that thread to get card initialization right inc permanently ON PSU, use delay jumpers and/or hotplug after boot.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

The problem with this is that I purchased my EXP GDC secondhand and did not have the 6-pin to dual 8-pin cable that normally comes with it so I have no way to provide external power to the card. That's basically the entire reason I got the 1050Ti. So not only do I have to sell/return this card, I have to get a more expensive card as well as an ATX PSU.

Thanks Nvidia. Guess I'll go AMD since you're worthless.

You also do have the option of going with a RX 460. That does not require an external power (some of them do, so pick carefully), and can be had for as little as ~80$ on Newegg. That said, you might need to investigate the pin-out a bit, but I suspect the power output 6-pin connector on the Beast has a standard 6-pin format. In that case, you an easily make your own cable.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

The beast doesn't come with the 6P/8P cable; it's sold separately. It's extremely cheap if you can wait for delivery...

http://www.banggood.com/6-PIN-Graphics-Card-Cable-for-EXP-GDC-Beast-Laptop-External-Independent-Video-Card-Dock-p-1032795.html?rmmds=search

I needed one for my RX 480 but couldn't wait, so I just bought a 6P female to dual 6+2P male cable from amazon at the same time I bought the GPU. Plugged one 6+2P into the GPU and the other one into the beast minus the 2P plug. When I get time I will re-wire it to get rid of the 6P female plug and make it shorter...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D0LTF4M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

I'll probably be getting an RX 460 once my card is returned. And I didn't know that the Beast didn't come with the cable.

I also sent  a support ticket to Nvidia concerning this 5-6 month long driver issue. I doubt it'll change anything, but it's worth a shot I guess.

EDIT: Went ahead and got an RX 460 at Best Buy today to see if I could this work. Price matched and got it for $114 but it wasn't the model I thought it was. I assumed it was the smaller single fan, but it's the larger dual fan and requires 6-pin power (FOR WHAT REASON, YOU ARE AN RX 460) and only came with a cable for 6-pin to molex+molex. Anyone have any idea how to wire the molex side to work with a 6-pin female?

EDIT2: Ordered the 6+2/6+2 to 6-pin from Amazon. I'll get it Sunday and this nightmare should be over. Would still like to wire this cable somehow, but it doesn't seem doable. It's pretty short.

EDIT3: I managed to get it all wired somehow. Stuck on the dsdt override. I'm not sure exactly how I am supposed to decompile dsdt.dat as dsdt.dsl and when I attempted to paste 

iasl -da -dl -fe refs.txt dsdt.dat
copy dsdt.dsl dsdt-modified.dsl

iasl is not recognized as a command, program, or batch and I'm not sure what to do at this stage.

ReplyQuote
funklahoma
(@funklahoma)

Mission completed. Ended with Lenovo T430, EXP GDC ExpressCard, and an XFX RX 460 4gb. After using Setup 1.35 and doing the Microsoft version dsdt override, everything is working.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Yukikaze and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@funklahoma, good work getting it sorted. Would you like to submit an implementation guide to help others replicate your pioneering success? Your AMD card choice a first amongst the EC2 implementations: https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter=%22EC2%22

ReplyQuote