Bios is the latest as well
iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600

dGPU: None
eGPU: Nvidia 970
Nvidia Driver 419.67
Windows Home 10 1809

A few things I learned:
Set Express Card to Automatic
Set dedicated Intel card to 512mb of ram (otherwise it won't post with everything plugged in)
Leave the GDC Beast to no delay, and off 3m Aluminum tape the HDMI to Express card cable (to insulate and keep out interferance)

No Hotswapping, just connect everything, and hit power on the notebook=Works

Tried the same above with a AMD HD7990 Dual card and I was only able to make one cards show up, and it would only work on an external monitor and reach temps of up to 91C. The gtx 970 works great, temps peak around 72C

GPU-Z

Any Ideas to improve are welcome, but it currently works well, altho I think it could be better.

-DaRoota

T540P - i7-4810MQ
Bios version: GMET86WW
Beast 8.5C Dock (3m aluminum tape covered cable)
Nvidia Driver 419.67
Windows Home 10 1809

ReplyQuote
(@peter_qin)

How did you set ram for the intel card? I have the same problem where it wont get past logo screen with anything plugged in to the gpu but couldn't find the option in BIOS

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
S “AirCooledVanagon” DaRoota
(@s_aircooledvanagon_daroota)

Machine Type: 20BE  (full model is:  20BE003AUS but what really matters is that its only a Intel graphics board)

Without the expresscard in, power up and go in the bios:

Config tab-->Display--> 

Mine shows as follows:  
Boot Display Device:  ThinkPad LCD
Total Graphics Memory: 512MB <-------This is required I've found
Boot Time Extension: Disabled

UEFI booting, if that matters, and so save and exit.  Shut down, and plug in  the card.  Power on and it should post.  I'm luckly I didn't require Setup 1.35.  I'm a tech by trade (and by that I'm paid to fix problems by reading event logs, not a wipe and reload kind of tech)  I like to figure out how things work, and I've read a bunch of things on here and on reddit, how things work and so on.  I got this T540p from the recycle pile at work, the customer had dropped it and it was out of accidental warranty, so it was less downtime to order something new and get them going again, but for me, a few replacement parts on ebay and 350$ later I have a gaming notebook.  (bought 16gb ram, an i7, the dock, a 970 and a few small parts to repair)  

I was playing atlas on full res last night, but medium settings for everything else (still looks good when put on custom) and played it via my steam link for fun and the 5.1 surround sound.  (Skyrim in 5.1 is freaky when spiders are near)

Hope that helps you

T540P - i7-4810MQ
Nvidia Driver 419.67
Windows Home 10 1809

ReplyQuote

Ok, so I had to adjust the Settings again in Atlas, because after a few minutes the computer would blue screen with "video tdr failure"

I opened Geforce experience and let it adjust the game settings and played it for an hour without issue.

T540P - i7-4810MQ
Nvidia Driver 419.67
Windows Home 10 1809

ReplyQuote
(@peter_qin)

It seems my T430 does not have that option in BIOS. Right now I'm just letting the computer sleep instead of turning it off. Thanks anyways.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote

When I tried a year ago I also couldn't get it to work 100% on my T430, I may try again.

T540P - i7-4810MQ
Nvidia Driver 419.67
Windows Home 10 1809

ReplyQuote
(@satp_slp)

@s_aircooledvanagon_daroota

Thanks, it saved me a lot of more troubleshooting than I was already done, works perfect for T540p to recognize my GPU

EXP GDC Expresscard
GTX 1070
450w CM450 PSU
Lenovo T540p i5-4300M 8gb RAM W10 1Tb SSD

ReplyQuote