Setup & Software Discussions
Lenovo x230 +EXP GDC v8.5c + AMD R9 380 + ATX PSU+External screen

Lenovo x230 +EXP GDC v8.5c + AMD R9 380 + ATX PSU+External screen  

RSS

(@florin_toma)

Hi,

The setup is (as in the title): Lenovo x230 with Windows 7, AMD R9 380, ATX PSU SunFlower 550W, EXp GD v8.5.c, Monitor Belinea 101920 19 inch (connected trough DVI).

So far I was unable to make the setup to work. I'll put here steps that I've made so far:
1) Connected PSU to dock (cpu cable output and MB output cable)
2) inserted the video card to dock and connected the 2x6 pins power cable from PSU
3) connected hdmi from expresscard cable in dock
4) connected the ouput from videocard to monitor (hdmi->DVI)

A) First try:
  a1) I've inserted the ExpressCard in the laptop
  a2) Started the Laptop (fans from PSU and video card startd to spin)
=> black screen

B) Second try:
  b1) from dock, I've moved the PTD switch to the left (some delay switch)  and then connected ExpressCard to laptop
  b2) Started the Laptop (fans from PSU and video card startd to spin)
 => laptop started to boot and while windows logo animation was displayed everything started to lag + sound badly. I had very little control. most of the time the system was stuck, mouse moving only for a split of second every 5 seconds. => I had to shtdwn the laptop from the power button

C) Third try:
   c1) removed the ExpressCard cable from the laptop and started normaly
   c2) after normal boot, I;ve insert the ExpressCard. 
 => Some kind of device was seen "Video Controler"(device manager) and I had hopes that all is good. I;ve tried to instal AMD drivers but each time I;ve received the message that "Components are already installed". After some time, that "Video Controler" disappeared ...
   c3) I've retried to reconnect the ExpressCard while laptop was in Windows 7 and few times I've managed to see again that "Video Controler" and sometimes I've experienced the same stuck system like in the second try.

Any advices?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
T430up
(@t430up)

Is BIOS updated to latest version?

T480s i7 + Aorus Gaming Box 1070
T430 i7 + EXP GDC 1060

ReplyQuote
(@bones_hazard)

Yo,
I'm using the X230(8GBddr3)+EXP Beast v8.4d+HD6670/750ti/1050ti/960 with a 276w PSU,so hopefully my boot/installation process might help you.
Update BIOS, Make sure to turn off secure boot and fast boot and set Pci Gen signal to auto(so it stays on 2) in bios.
1. Uninstall all AMD drivers with the help of DDU in SAFE MODE.
2.Connect GPU to EXP Beast(powercables also), PTD switch to OFF , ATX PW to OFF. Also connect it to PSU and keep ON.DO NOT CONNECT  DVI TO GPU YET
3.Connect ExpressCard , and boot X230 WITHOUT DVI . Post the Lenovo start screen you can connect the DVI Cable of the monitor
Hopefully this should sort it out and detect you gpu properply, post that you can install fresh AMD drivers

You can put PTD switch to 7s/15s  and the ATX PW switch to ON , they are supposed to deal with this display issue, but I consider the above procedure to be the SAFE out of box experience 😀

I usually keep eveything connected except the Dvi to GPU end , I only connect it once I've past the Lenovo splash screen 
Also are you using 16GB ram?? cause that causes issues. You'll need a custom modded bios for your laptop.

Hope this was helpful.LMK
lookin forward to help 
Peace

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@florin_toma)

@Bones HaZard, thx for support.

Today I've did:
0. Updated the Bios from 2.71 to latest(2.72).
1. Entered in bios and I've made sure that secure boot is disabled. (No fast boot in bios). ExpressCard is set on automatic. Quick statrt was disabled
2. Changed PTD and ATX switches to off
3.co ne ted video card to board and PSU
4. Disconnected video cable from video card side
5. Entered expresscard in laltop while the machineis turned off.
6. Start the laptop and after the first screen the vjdeo cable was inserted in the video card
=> black screen and the laptop's power button light is on/off for few times,
In the end the lapyopp starts to boot but with incredible lag. 

Any wrong step from my side?

ReplyQuote
(@bones_hazard)

Yo, sorry for the year late reply, never got notified :S
Connect the GPU to External display only once you have passed the "Thinkpad" logo screen. Sometimes it may start but then instantly shutdown only to restart a few seconds later, a lil patience is required during boot. 
As a test,Avoid external screen, try to boot only to internal display with Egpu connected and see if it detects in device manager, Then install AMD drivers and reboot, and maybe then test with external display.Also use DDU in SAFE-MODE to remove all AMD driver and components for Fresh/Latest Driver Update. 

Hopefully you sorted it already, if not, hope this sorts it out.
Lemme know if you still need some help,
Peace.

ReplyQuote
elBundinio
(@elbundinio)

I just set up an x230 with exp gdc 8.whatever and a GTX 1660 Ti and the only things I did that I don't see mentioned so far are disable power saving on the expresscard slot in windows device manager, the card wasn't detected until I did that, and run https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/

I don't know if that last thing actually helped but it seemed like it did. 

Also I have 16gb in it with the lenovo bios and no problems so far.

The only problem I have now is that my card is only half utilised at pcie x2 speed (set to automatic in the BIOS) and I'm thinking that I should move to mini pcie.

ReplyQuote