Setup & Software Discussions
My GPU's fans don't spin (Exp Gdc V8.5c , Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB , Lenovo I...

My GPU's fans don't spin (Exp Gdc V8.5c , Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti OC 4GB , Lenovo IdeaPad 510)  

RSS

(@miguel_angel_castro)

Hello, i have a lenovo with an Intel i5 7200U and Nvidia gt 940mx dedicated and intel hd 620 integrated, the connector to the Exp Gdc that i'm using is an NGFF version.

First at all i followed the instructions in the manual:

-Disabling an option in the BIOS for Lenovo (Boot exp to LAN)

-Disabling the PCI port in the device manager, and Shut down the Laptop

Next i installed the Hardware, i watched many videos about this and how to connect my power supply (i got an Antryx XPII 600 W) and the Exp Gdc to my laptop.

Now then the only difference is that my GPU Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti don't have an external power (6 pin PCIe). I google it and i readed that the GPU uses the power from the PCIe slot.

I thought is nothing to get worried about and after that i plugged my GPU to the dock and checked all connections right before turn on the power supply and the laptop. When i start to run my laptop, the GPU fans started to spin but in a few seconds stopped, the start up was normal and the desktop loaded and i opened the device manager, there was only 2 display adapters, the Intel hd 620 and the nvidia 940mx (dedicated), the eGPU was not recognized and everything seems normal like no new devices, then i touched to plug a little more but the GPU was starting to heat, no spinning but heating, i installed the drivers manually and shut down, when i look the fans by a little moment it spinned just a little before the laptop were completely off.

my second try: Same result, not recognized, even disabling each PCI port from the device manager, heating and no spin. I tried a game (Rainbow Six) to see if the GPU run the fans or something but only detect the dedicated graphic card, then i shut down again.

the third try: And once more, fans stops after a few second and starts to heat but something rare happened in the device manager, a third display adapter  appeared called: "Basic display adapter" with a alert sign, and the dedicated nvidia 940mx was with the same sign too, i opened the DxDiag and my dedicated GPU appeared with the "error 43", i readed about that error in some posts here and other pages but dont know what it is.

And after all of that i got worried about to damage my GPU and set up all back to normal, BIOS, Wifi Card installed again, enable the PCI ports, fortunately my dedicated graphic card nvidia 940mx back to the normal and works fine. At this point i don't know what to do about this, if my GPU needs more power supply then i did a wrong buy, the package of the graphics card says it need at least 300W.

¿There is something i can do or should i buy a new graphics card with external power?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@miguel_angel_castro)

UPDATE 1: I unistalled the drivers and restarted my laptop, i installed the lastest driver from the web and finally was detected the GPU, but not yet it has the error 43, i google it and found this video that have an solution to this error in this link https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/script-nvidia-error43-fixer/ i downloaded and run it.

Results: no more heat by nothing, now WORKS, no external power needed in my case, the fan starts when the GPU reaches a very high temperature 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote