[Need advice] All the kit, but not sure where to go from here... [EXP GDC Expres...

Notifications
Clear all

[Need advice] All the kit, but not sure where to go from here... [EXP GDC Expresscard w/ GTX 970 & Dell DA-2]  

RSS

Ryan Underwood
(@ryan_underwood)

As the title suggests, I have an EXP GDC 8.5c ExpressCard edition. I clearly hadn't done enough homework before buying all the parts, because I've no clue how to connect the power lines into the top of my GTX 970. It seems to take a 6 and an 8 pin input?

You can see what I have so far here - 

https://imgur.com/a/MqCfGlQ

If the Dell DA-2 power supply is going to be a hassle, then should I get a ATX PSU with a fan etc? I just want to get this running ASAP.

Kind regards and thank you in advance,

Ryan.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Your EXP GDC kit is missing this PCIe power cable which distributes the Dell DA-2 input power out to your video card 6P+6P or 6P+8P connectors.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Underwood
(@ryan_underwood)

Posted by: @nando4

Your EXP GDC kit is missing this PCIe power cable which distributes the Dell DA-2 input power out to your video card 6P+6P or 6P+8P connectors.

Thank you for the response. I'm a newbie with this kind of cabling - is this cable available elsewhere (preferably UK/EU) as one not specifically for the EXP GDC? As in, is this a standard cable type?

Kind regards,

Ryan.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Bug Hunter
(@bug_hunter)

Unfortunately, not a standard cable, but feeding the two 6-pin GTX970 sockets from the 6-pin output on the EXP GDC works fine.  The biggest problem is getting cables that fit the card.  The middle plug /clip side on the 6-pin males must be rounded to fit the card.  Pictures lie, vendors lie, ... read the reviews and believe them.  Only by ordering a variety of splitter and extensions could I find a combination that worked.  After acquiring a dual 6-pin splitter which fit the card,but with a female socket,  I then ordered a dual ended male to connect the splitter to the EXP GDC (which has a square middle pin, so either type of male fits).

2011 15" Lenovo W520 (quadro 1000M) (2nd,4C,Q) + Nvidia GTX970 @ {2Gbs-EC,mPCIe} (EXP GDC Beast 8.0 ) + Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04 & Win10 1909

2011 15" Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Q 1000M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 2Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x ) + Win10 1909 & Linux Ubuntu 20.04B [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ryan Underwood
(@ryan_underwood)

Posted by: @bug_hunter

Unfortunately, not a standard cable, but feeding the two 6-pin GTX970 sockets from the 6-pin output on the EXP GDC works fine.  The biggest problem is getting cables that fit the card.  The middle plug /clip side on the 6-pin males must be rounded to fit the card.  Pictures lie, vendors lie, ... read the reviews and believe them.  Only by ordering a variety of splitter and extensions could I find a combination that worked.  After acquiring a dual 6-pin splitter which fit the card,but with a female socket,  I then ordered a dual ended male to connect the splitter to the EXP GDC (which has a square middle pin, so either type of male fits).

So if I'm catching you correctly- 

Whack something like this between the GDC and the female port of one of these and Bob's your uncle?

I've resolved to investing in a proper full-scale ATX PSU to try that for size, and have the proper male to male on back-order from China for if I want to use the Dell adapter.

A bit of an annoying way about things, but I guess this is the price you pay for avoiding a Thunderbolt enclosure...

(Just noticed that everybody, including myself, in the thread is running a Quadro (M)1000M)

ReplyQuote
Bug Hunter
(@bug_hunter)

Looks like those cables should do it.  I know the 75W limit x 2  exceeds the EXP GDC beast 6-pin output, but the wires don't get hot and no problems that I can see.  The GTX 970 is 170 W, so well within the Dell's 220W capability. I'm still thrilled that I didn't need a new laptop for nice graphics.  Good luck on getting the cables you think you are ordering.

2011 15" Lenovo W520 (quadro 1000M) (2nd,4C,Q) + Nvidia GTX970 @ {2Gbs-EC,mPCIe} (EXP GDC Beast 8.0 ) + Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04 & Win10 1909

2011 15" Lenovo Thinkpad W520 (Q 1000M) [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 2Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.x ) + Win10 1909 & Linux Ubuntu 20.04B [build link]  

ReplyQuote