Need Help/Suggestions on the best eGPU setup for Dell Inspiron 1545

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Need Help/Suggestions on the best eGPU setup for Dell Inspiron 1545  

RSS

Awildpenguin
(@awildpenguin)

After being new to the concept eGPU and a few hours of research. I want to know if my Dell Inspiron 1545 could run a eGPU setup and what is the most efficient GPU for the laptop which does not bottleneck the Gpu by the extermly old CPU.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tbl777
(@tbl777)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Awildpenguin

After being new to the concept eGPU and a few hours of research. I want to know if my Dell Inspiron 1545 could run a eGPU setup and what is the most efficient GPU for the laptop which does not bottleneck the Gpu by the extermly old CPU.

Old CPU is definitely a bottleneck if just dual-core rather quad-core, cpu base and turbo frequency also important. Base the extremely old CPU, you should consider low-end GPU or middle-end, definitely lower than gtx960 or gtx1050ti.

late-2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO thunder 2) + macOS 10.13

ReplyQuote
Awildpenguin
(@awildpenguin)

Thanks for the quick reply,

I was wondering if there is any difference in using a Pci port or a Express card? Since from what i can gather the laptop  can run both.

edit: was also wondering if you could give me a name for a good low budget gpu for a time span to look into. Would greatly appreciate  it like the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti for example

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tbl777
(@tbl777)
Trusted Member

Posted by: Awildpenguin

Thanks for the quick reply,

I was wondering if there is any difference in using a Pci port or a Express card? Since from what i can gather the laptop  can run both.

edit: was also wondering if you could give me a name for a good low budget gpu for a time span to look into. Would greatly appreciate  it like the Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti for example

definitely choose pcie or pcie-based m.2, speed quicker multiple times than express card.

gtx1050ti is a good choice, approximate 160$, such as  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=gtx1050ti

This is quicker five times than your GPU at least.

late-2013 15" MacBook Pro GT750M + RX580@16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO thunder 2) + macOS 10.13

ReplyQuote
Awildpenguin
(@awildpenguin)

I'm sorry I must have read it wrong but you stated that "you should consider low-end GPU or middle-end, definitely lower than gtx960 or gtx1050ti" which lead to believe that i should get a older model than the listed before. Another question is that if i were to buy the GTX 1050 ti, wouldnt my CPU just bottleneck the GPU leading me to believe that its a waste of money to buy this card but look for other options. 

ReplyQuote
daniel_tx
(@daniel_tx)

@tbl777 you misleading the OP here,he doesn't have pcie m.2 port he has mPCIe(wifi card) and express card and due to DELL whitelisting the mPCIe ports on most of their laptops i would suggest go with the express card slot,this way at least OP doesn't need to worry about whitelisting issues or enabling the hot plug.Speed is the same,even sometimes speed is greater on the express card.

OP go with the 9XX series GPUs and you'll be fine.10XX series have problems with the latest drivers(do some reading man,all the info you need is here)

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3, dGPU: GEFORCE GT540M
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
Windows 10 (x64) Enterprise LTSB 2016
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Awildpenguin
(@awildpenguin)

Thanks for the advice

So my next question is what do i need to look into a GPU that will work for my laptop and any suggestion for AMD driver. If there any good AMD driver than Nvidia and if you could kindly direct me to some guides or reading material which well help me better understand how eGPU work.

edit: I was also wanted to ask about power supply because for ex the GTX 750 Ti spec page states that Graphics Card Power only requires  60W of power. So i was wondering if i'm good on buying a 100W power supply or should i aim a bit higher

ReplyQuote
daniel_tx
(@daniel_tx)

@Awildpenguin apologize upfront but i just looked up your laptop spec. and....it's too old man.Older it is,more problems you'll face,it might not even work out.Not sure what you expect to see but even if you make it work you'll be disappointed.My laptop is newer then yours and honestly i'm not very satisfied of the result,so i'm gonna stop here and would advise you to start looking at better options,either newer laptop,something proven that can be done(see implementation guide) or do a pc build,which is probably the best option.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3, dGPU: GEFORCE GT540M
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
Windows 10 (x64) Enterprise LTSB 2016
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Awildpenguin
(@awildpenguin)

That's sad to hear. I was hoping to make this old piece of scrap into something that can play games in medium settings but it seems that not the case. Shout out to everyone who helped on this and giving me advice. Guess Ill be looking into a new PC then 

ReplyQuote