Notifications
Clear all

NVidia GTX 1660 TI  

of  2
  RSS

GimpArm
(@gimparm)

I have a Lenovo w510 and an NVidia GT 240 on mPCIe. I used eGPU Setup 1.35 to get past the whitelist on the Lenovo and that's all I needed to get it working, once that was in place I could just boot windows normally without needing to go through eGPU Setup.

I tried to upgrade to a GTX 1660 TI and I just cannot get it to work. The only way I can get past the whitelist is to boot without the eGPU plugged in and then enter eGPU Setup and plug it in. I enable the port, restore the whitelist port, and the card is detected. I set my startup.bat to do just that and initialize the card. I boot without the cable in and choose to boot to eGPU Setup and plug the cable in. Then choose Automated Startup so it runs the startup.bat, it goes through and everything is detected, then windows tries to start and it hangs on the loading screen after a few seconds. I tried turning on boot logging and booting in verbose mode but I can't get any information on why it is hanging. I suspect if I could get past the whitelist with this card it would work. I tried keeping the ATX power on and setting the PTD delay to 75 and 155, that didn't change anything.

Definitely something with the newer card but I have no idea what to do. I put the old GT 240 back in and it boots up just fine and I don't have to hotswap it after boot or kept the power on or any delays.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on how to get this card working?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
GimpArm
(@gimparm)

I got the whitelist removed from my bios. I can bootup with the GT 240 just fine without eGPU Setup doing anything. There is still not change when I try the GTX 1660. It freezes on the bios screen when the 1660 is plugged in. If I hotswap then the mPCIe port is not enabled. If I then boot into eGPU Setup, I can turn the port on and the card is detected. I tried configuring the chainloader to just turn the port on then boot mbr but it seems no matter what combination I put in the startup.bat windows freezes about 5 seconds into loading. I have no idea what to do now. It would be nice if I could get this card working.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Alnitak
(@alnitak)

I also seem to be having the same issue with my L540 and GTX 1660. I have tried everything including setting the PTD delays on the EXP GDC but to no avail. I think the only option is to modify the bios to remove the whitelist. The problem is the bios on my machine at least is rewrite protected and can only be modified using an SPI-programmer :/ I kinda feel like I am at a dead end here... Did you ever get this up and running correctly? Any info would be appreciated! 😀 

Thinkpad L540, 120hz IPS internal display( N156HHE-GA1), I7 4712MQ, EXP GDC 8.5C (Expresscard), Palit GTX1660 Storm OC eGPU , Adata SU800 1TB SSD, 16GB 2133MHZ HyperX DDR3L.

ReplyQuote
GimpArm
(@gimparm)

I got the whitelist removed from my bios, no change. I bought the PCMCIA cable and still couldn’t get it to work. If it’s plugged in while booting (doesn’t matter what cable) then it just freezes before the bios posts. One time I manage to hot plug the PCMCIA in at the perfect time that when windows booted it was detected and I could install the NVidia drivers. After that I couldn’t do it again. I’ve pretty much given up. I suspect it might be due to the internal NVidia card interfering and that maybe trying to boot with it demoted and hot swapping would work but I never got it going.

ReplyQuote
Alnitak
(@alnitak)

Hmm 😮  Sorry to hear about that. I did get mine up and running on my l540, at least for a while. All I did was simply boot up my laptop without the card plugged in, and then put my laptop to sleep once booted. Then I simply plugged in the PCMCIA / ExpressCard when it was asleep and started up the machine. This way I was able to install Nvidia drivers and actually get a few benchmarks done on Unigine valley. But that was short lived. Now I am facing constant BSOD's when putting the card under load, but I suspect that is because of a faulty dsdt-override so ill try and redo it and get back to you.

Thinkpad L540, 120hz IPS internal display( N156HHE-GA1), I7 4712MQ, EXP GDC 8.5C (Expresscard), Palit GTX1660 Storm OC eGPU , Adata SU800 1TB SSD, 16GB 2133MHZ HyperX DDR3L.

ReplyQuote
GimpArm
(@gimparm)

I forgot about sleeping it, thanks for the tip. Just did it, when I put it to sleep then plug it in it is detected. Having some problems with the two drivers fighting each other. One big problem is if I uninstall the driver for the old card then I can’t put it to sleep.

ReplyQuote
Alnitak
(@alnitak)

Seems strange. I also had some driver conflicts but I was always able to put my laptop to sleep. My machine doesn't natively have a dGPU tho. If your CPU has an iGPU I would suggest completely disabling the dGPU and just running on the iGPU for everyday tasks.  You should be able to disable it in bios. Otherwise, I believe it is possible to disable it in Nandos setup 1.35.  Generally, I think iGPU's and eGPU's have better compatibility than e and d-GPU's. So try giving that a shot and tell me what happens. 😉

ReplyQuote
Super37s
(@super37s)

I was thinking of egpu setup to buy gtx1660 when I see comment it is not working right u guys save my money

ReplyQuote
GimpArm
(@gimparm)

I think my main problem is that I only have a dGPU and no iGPU. I had no problem with the GT-240 because it uses the same driver as the dGPU but the 1660 is completely different. Although I don’t know why I hang at the bios with the 1660. I also haven’t a clue why Windows hangs on boot if I use eGPU Setup to boot.

I would expect no problems if you have an iGPU but I also can see you not wanting to risk it based on my guess.

ReplyQuote
Alnitak
(@alnitak)

@super37s You will see similar issues from any modern Nvidia card but there are workarounds and I have successfully gotten mine up and running. Turns out the BSOD's were just the result of a bad PSU.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
 of  2