[Sticky] NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver  

Page 2 / 4 Prev Next
  RSS

nando4
Honorable Member
February 2, 2017 3:46 am  
Posted by: BeautyRazor

I cant install driver older than 375.95, because this isn't contains my dev and subsys ids. But newer drivers get error 43. Please help me to install older drivers...

See Plastixx' attempt at adding a new card to be supported by the 372.70 driver at https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/i-got-gtx-1050-ti-to-work-with-372-70-sort-of/

DIY eGPU Setup 1.35DSDT override error 12 fixExternal GPU Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures compared

ReplyQuote
Sirios
February 5, 2017 8:05 am  
Posted by: z_y

hi,

i have a thinkpad x220 and i am using pe4c v3.0 expresscard with gtx1060.

372.70 working fine with internal LCD over optimus, but newer drivers gives error43.

notebook has modded bios and i activated hotplug enable option on all pci port.

so, i am not sure whether this problem is related with hotplug issue...

Hey! I have eGPU set-up with x220 too! What OS is installed on your system?

Thanks

X220, IPS, Intel Core i7-2620m, 16 gb, Samsung 840 pro 256 gb, eGPU + EVGA FTW GTX1080.

ReplyQuote
DavidC
February 18, 2017 7:00 pm  
Posted by: nando4

UPDATE: This problem is specific to the GTX10xx series. GTX9xx and older cards are reportedly not be affected.
Worst are GTX1050 and some new GTX1060 cards that are not supported on the 372.70 downgrade workaround driver solution.

Otherwise you can still go with mPCIe/NGFF.M2, but be aware that future games will need new driver capabilities. Likely you've got about 1-2 years of current gaming use then.

Hi Nando4.  Thanks for the info.  I have been reading up on this for couple weeks now since running into the same problem with a 1060 6G card with a error 43.  So is the conclusion still remains that the 10xx cards (any 10xx card) with mPCIe and non-hotplug setup will only work with 372.70 and older driver?  Mine is working in Wins 8.1 with 372.70 but not newer driver.

I am trying to decide if I should stay with this setup or return the card and get a 980 TI for better future prove.  You mentioned without the capabilities of using new driver, this setup may only be viable for a year or two.  TIA.

ReplyQuote
nando4
Honorable Member
February 18, 2017 11:22 pm  

DavidC, unfortunately the conclusion remains the same. GTX10xx and drivers 372.90 and thereafter cause error 43 on non-hotpluggable mPCIe/M2 interfaces. GTX9xx and older or AMD cards are the workaround to avoid being stuck on the NVidia 372.70 driver with a GTX10xx card.

Edited: 1 month  ago

DIY eGPU Setup 1.35DSDT override error 12 fixExternal GPU Buyers Guide: Top 2017 eGPU Enclosures compared

ReplyQuote
DavidC
February 19, 2017 7:59 am  

nando4, thanks a lot for the reply.  I guess another option is to mod the hotplug bit in the bios.  I have a Lenovo G510 running Win 8.1.  Do you know if modding the bios is reversible assuming I made a backup prior in case something goes wrong?  I will do more research myself but in general how difficult is it to mod the bios?  Thanks.

ReplyQuote
carage
February 19, 2017 9:29 am  

I have a ThinkPad W520 connected to a GTX 1080 via EXP GDC Beast ExpressCard,

375.63 has been great for me, it is even much more reliable than any of the 372 and earlier series.

Things have been great until this morning when I noticed the external monitor no longer has a signal,

as I suspected, Windows 10 decided to sneakily update the driver to 376.53 WHQL in the middle of the night.

I reinstalled 375.70 over it and followed the instructions to turn off automatic driver updates in the control panel,

but a few hours later I found Windows 10 did it again. 

Is there anyway to tell Windows 10 not to mess with a particular set of drivers permanently?

I don't really want to turn off automatic driver updates/installation for all devices as I find the feature to be pretty convenient,

but I also hate to reinstall display drivers every morning when I wake up or come back home after work. 

Additionally, my patience is wearing thin on this.  As nVidia is apparently ignoring those of us on "legacy connections",

I might as well get a ThinkPad P50 and join the TB3 crowd or build a desktop and ditch the whole EGPU scene altogether.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Curucail
February 23, 2017 12:44 pm  
Posted by: carage

I have a ThinkPad W520 connected to a GTX 1080 via EXP GDC Beast ExpressCard,

375.63 has been great for me, it is even much more reliable than any of the 372 and earlier series.

Things have been great until this morning when I noticed the external monitor no longer has a signal,

as I suspected, Windows 10 decided to sneakily update the driver to 376.53 WHQL in the middle of the night.

I reinstalled 375.70 over it and followed the instructions to turn off automatic driver updates in the control panel,

but a few hours later I found Windows 10 did it again. 

Is there anyway to tell Windows 10 not to mess with a particular set of drivers permanently?

I don't really want to turn off automatic driver updates/installation for all devices as I find the feature to be pretty convenient,

but I also hate to reinstall display drivers every morning when I wake up or come back home after work. 

Additionally, my patience is wearing thin on this.  As nVidia is apparently ignoring those of us on "legacy connections",

I might as well get a ThinkPad P50 and join the TB3 crowd or build a desktop and ditch the whole EGPU scene altogether.

I had the same issue with Win 10 updating the driver all the time (even when i was in a game!)

If you go to your device manager after windows updates to 376 again, you can right-click on your graphics card, go to properties -> driver and then choose the third option (go back/ revert to an old driver). After that windows will revert to your old driver version and wont install it again.

carage liked
ReplyQuote
huzat
February 26, 2017 9:29 am  

If you have problem with windows reinstalling newer drivers, try this 

How to Prevent Windows from Automatically Updating Specific Drivers

carage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
RubbaBoy
March 3, 2017 12:01 pm  

Yeah.. I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and a GTX 970 I am trying to get working and I have error Code 43 on the driver version 378.66. I will try some earlier drivers because it happened when I upgraded from driver version 353.62. Just thought I should let you know, because you said GTX9xx and older cards are reportedly not be affected

ReplyQuote
nando4
Honorable Member
March 3, 2017 12:08 pm  
Posted by: RubbaBoy

Yeah.. I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit and a GTX 970 I am trying to get working and I have error Code 43 on the driver version 378.66. I will try some earlier drivers because it happened when I upgraded from driver version 353.62. Just thought I should let you know, because you said GTX9xx and older cards are reportedly not be affected

This is a constantly updated thread based on user reports. We may be chasing a moving target with NVidia changing their drivers to adversely affect eGPU users. Pls rollback your driver to older versions to see when your error 43 started.

ReplyQuote
RubbaBoy
March 3, 2017 12:11 pm  

Okay, I will tell you once I find the earliest non-working one. Also, can I get Setup 1.35 if I already purchased Setup 1.3? I can verify I purchased it and everything (The email I bought it with is not the email connected to this account)

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
Reputable Member
March 3, 2017 12:18 pm  

Aw snap. This is going to get annoying in a hurry if they start trying to close down on this with every one of their GPUs. We've had people move to GTX9XX cards after returning their 10-series to avoid being stuck with an older driver.

Granted, it isn't a huge issue, as nVidia is not great on supporting older GPUs, so people won't be missing on a lot, unless nVidia adds new features (like their promised Vulkan oriented driver revision)...

Argh.

I guess AMD is the way to go.

"Dire Wolf" - HP ZBook 15 G2: Core i7-4810MQ, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, K2100M dGPU, R9 Fury eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2).
"Stormcrow" - Lenovo T430s: Core i7-3520M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, GTX1050Ti eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2).

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.” - Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Sylvain60
March 6, 2017 7:12 am  

PE4C (EC) + msi 1070GTX on lenovo W530

372.90 -> Error 43

372.70 -> Error 43

368.81 -> Perfect but drivers older (july 2016 !)

dont try 375.63, 375.70. Other says its ok.

dont try newest drivers as 378.49, 378.66,  with hot fix 378.77

ReplyQuote
mickael28
March 7, 2017 3:54 pm  
Posted by: nando4

How to check if the candidate eGPU port is hotplug enabled?

Example below: a Dell E6540 (that I'm currently using). I find the wifi card to identify the mPCIe port that could host an eGPU. Then I click the hosting PCIe bridge to check if hotplugging support is enabled.   

A couple of questions, I've got 2 empty slots, one for wifi and another M.2 slot for an SSD. When I checked on HWiNFO, Bus, I don't see any entry for PCI Express, as both slots are empty. Is there a way for me to check if they would be hotpluggable at the moment?

When you mention that the WiFi slot will host the eGPU, is it possible for me to host it in the M.2 slot, as my mother board would support PCIe 3.0 x4 speed in that one instead?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
Reputable Member
March 7, 2017 3:56 pm  

Yes, m.2 eGPU is doable, and it is the best performing eGPU interface available today. The BPlus PE4C v4.1 is a suitable adapter, but it is expensive as heck. The new GDC Beast v9.0 should also have this connectivity option, but it is still hard to find outside of Chinese speaking sites.

"Dire Wolf" - HP ZBook 15 G2: Core i7-4810MQ, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz, K2100M dGPU, R9 Fury eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2).
"Stormcrow" - Lenovo T430s: Core i7-3520M, 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz, GTX1050Ti eGPU (AKiTiO Thunder2).

“Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.” - Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love"

ReplyQuote
mickael28
March 7, 2017 4:16 pm  

And do you know if I could still have that problem with incompatibility due to the hotplug issue in the M.2 slot?

If it's possibly a problem, any idea if I could check its value if it's empty at the moment?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
Reputable Member
March 7, 2017 10:07 pm  

Yes, this issue happens on m.2 as well. HWiNFO should show you the details of a slot even if the slot is empty, assuming the slot is enabled if it is not populated, and not disabled by the BIOS. On my ZBook, I can see an empty slot off a Pericom PCIe bridge sitting under the PCH in the PCIe hierarchy. But the m.2 slots are not showing up at all. If I had to guess, the slot shown is the Expresscard slot, while the m.2 are simply disabled by the BIOS as they are not populated (and they may be whitelisted, so they won't show until an approved device is installed in them).

ReplyQuote
mickael28
March 8, 2017 4:08 pm  

I can see the PCIe slots under the Motherboard-System Slots menu, however, they don't seem to appear under the Bus section, so it seems I cannot check whether or not I could have this problem with the hotplugable option... :S

ReplyQuote
mickael28
March 8, 2017 4:09 pm  

Someone the attachment failed to get uploaded...

This is what I can see:

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
Reputable Member
March 8, 2017 4:55 pm  

I don't know what to tell you, to be honest. Nothing showing is a little weird...

mickael28 liked
ReplyQuote
Nikouw
March 9, 2017 4:40 am  

I dont know if someone try this or is this is not recomended but:

-I install an unlocked BIOS

-Enable hotplug

-And how installing newest nvidia drivers 😀

ReplyQuote
Nikouw
March 9, 2017 4:55 am  

And.. eror 43..  I think enabling that allow to install the newest drivers :c

ReplyQuote
owlery
March 9, 2017 5:01 am  
Posted by: Nikouw

And.. eror 43..  I think enabling that allow to install the newest drivers :c

Try to enable discrete GPU in BIOS.

ReplyQuote
carage
March 9, 2017 6:55 pm  

I just heard that the new 378.78 drivers are delivering huge gains in DX12 performance,

too bad we are stuck on older drivers because of this ExpressCard/mPCIe/NGFF debacle.

http://www.pcgamer.com/nvidias-37878-driver-delivers-giant-gains-in-several-directx-12-games/?utm_content=buffer0cf10&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer-maxpcfb

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Sylvain60
March 10, 2017 7:53 am  

Yeah but NVidia say -33% for TOmbRaider (but its versus the 368.81) not the last from january, only +2%

I run actually on 368.81% ;-( others have error 43.

Dont try last

ReplyQuote
DavidC
March 10, 2017 7:58 am  
Posted by: Sylvain60

Yeah but NVidia say -33% for TOmbRaider (but its versus the 368.81) not the last from january, only +2%

I run actually on 368.81% ;-( others have error 43.

Dont try last

Hi Sylvain60, which gtx card are you using?

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
Eminent Member
March 10, 2017 12:15 pm  

Hello everyone!

There is a very tricky workaround to avoid error 43 on GTX10xx videocards (!will not work with 1050 and 1060 3GB cards!), which is quiet popular in our russian egpu community. I didn't try it, but i have read a lot of successful stories about it. So do it on your own risk!

Here is the instruction:

1. Download from nVidia archive 368.81 and 378.78 drivers.

2. Uninstall all current nVidia drivers using DDU, and reboot (or it will be rebooted automatically).

3. Install 368.81 and DO NOT REBOOT your system.

4. Open your registry editor, proceed to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and delete nvidia_rebootneeded. (thanks Cacada for this additional step)

5. Start installing 378.78 (not clean install!).

6. Reboot your system after install procedure will be done and there will be no error 43, and videocard will work perfectly with 378.78 driver (of course you still can't update to a newer drivers).

You may faced with not working "GeForce Experience" (if you do "Express" install, or if you choose it during "Custom" installation), but as for me, i don't think it is useful software. I always install only driver and Physx.

Please let me know if it will be helpful for someone.

(Edited due to new information)

Edited: 6 days  ago

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
Cacada
March 10, 2017 8:59 pm  

Hey igorgiv

I just tried these instructions on a non hotplug enabled (locked bios) machine and received error a system restart is required.

So I removed the registry key under hklm/software /nvidia/nvidia_rebootneeded and installed 378 via express (this installed 3d vision etc and I couldn't select options as it's express) 

Rebooted and... It works! 

Amazing igorgiv!

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
Eminent Member
March 11, 2017 4:43 am  

Hi Cacada!

I'm very happy to hear that it was helpful! I think that we should add the instruction with your registry trick.

Btw, i just thought, what if we use the latest driver instead 378.57? Maybe it will also work? We need someone to try this. 😉

P.S. Did you make any performance tests to see if there any difference between old drivers and 378.57?

If you never ask, then you will never learn

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Cacada
March 11, 2017 5:18 am  

I got maybe 150 pts more on firestrike benchmark. 

I noticed Doom ran a lot better in vulkan too, but not more than about 10 percent, and I don't have a benchmark. 

I will try this method with latest driver in the next day or so and report back. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4 Prev Next

eGPU

8 User(s) Online Join Server
  • James2406
  • A§H»rUnRiÕt
  • AquaeAtrae
  • chrismonster16
  • Eightarmedpet
  • enjoy
  • donth8dre
  • huehuehue