Setup & Software Discussions
NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver

NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver  

of  9
  RSS

IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Have the same issues at 375.70 (clean install) + enabled "hot plug". BSOD when try to watch youtube in fullscreen (in small window everything is OK).

I have only two versions: driver related problems at all, driver + egpu related problems.

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

I am now running 378.78 - did Firestrike and got about 8650 (previous 8150) - not a huge difference but some improvement.

Also I don't seem to have any other issues with gaming, only with video playback on streaming sites where I get graphical glitches.

This is not so bad since I can use this laptop just for gaming and have another small machine I can use for all other tasks.

Will report back if any other issues come up that would stop me from using this "hack".

To confirm to those with 1050 cards - this workaround will not work for you unfortunately - so far no one has been able to get the 1050 to work well with mPCIe because the driver version that introduced this card is later than the one used for this workaround (368.81)

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member

Posted by: IgorGIV

survfate,

Unfortunately i haven't heard about 1050 users who tried this instruction. And i don't think it will be helpful for 1050 users at all as far as this videocard doesn't have support in 368.81. And this driver is required for this trick. Anyway, you can try this and write here whether it works for you or not. Or maybe it would be possible to make this with other videocard which doesn't have error 43, and then (after successful installation) replace it with 1050?

I read in another post that you have a Lenovo Y580, did you success in Bios Mod it to enable hot plug yet?

2012 15" Asus K55VJ GT635M i5-3210M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4d) + Win10 // Hot-Plug BIOS mod

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Cacada,

Firestrike - 8932, 375.70 driver.

survfate,

Yes, i wrote there that i did BIOS mod and enabled hot plug (as you can see in my previous post here). 😉

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

Igor - I am running an I7-3610QM 2.3gHz with 8GB - how about you?
I'm pretty content with the benchmark considering this "hacky" solution we are using

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
junai78
(@junai78)

Dang. It's hard to swallow it then you said it like that. 🙁

GPU is not that cheap in my country. 1050 Ti cost like $850 here while 1060 is over $1200. 

Guess the GDC EXP i bought is going to waste. Have to save up more for a desktop then.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

It seems the 3Dmark score is higher, so higher fps, you need to check carefully the graphic score, if you run it 3 times with old and news and find the graphic score/fps higher with the new, there is a lot of chances that you are running effectively with the newest.

Other way is to run Valley benchmark, poorly cpu bound, highly gpu bond! Then again do 3 run and check the scores/fps!

If you can check after the reboot too.

About the fact nvidia is killing eGPU, it is not nvidia, the greedy green monster couldn't bother less, since you still buying it's product. But all his laptops partners are not happy you bought a cheaper laptop with better graphic performances at the end! Remember, on old laptops without TBE or NGFF M2.M who cares, but the newest ones have these features that allow at least a decent pci-e bandwidth and so really good performances.

@junai78: If the trick work try anyway with drivers that do not recognize the card, even older, then give it a try.

I advice to try this trick with a lot of drivers revisions, from old old drivers to the newest ones.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
Tempest
(@tempest)

Posted by: Cacada

I am now running 378.78 - did Firestrike and got about 8650 (previous 8150) - not a huge difference but some improvement.

Also I don't seem to have any other issues with gaming, only with video playback on streaming sites where I get graphical glitches.

This is not so bad since I can use this laptop just for gaming and have another small machine I can use for all other tasks.

Will report back if any other issues come up that would stop me from using this "hack".

To confirm to those with 1050 cards - this workaround will not work for you unfortunately - so far no one has been able to get the 1050 to work well with mPCIe because the driver version that introduced this card is later than the one used for this workaround (368.81)

Hi. I wonder if I mod the 368.81 drivers and force them to install with the gtx 1050 and follow the rest of the workaround. Will this work? I plan to test this soon. I have a GTX 970, GTX 1050 and a GTX 1080. The laptop is a Asus G46VR with modded BIOS. Egpu adapter is exp GDC beast.

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Cacada, and i'm running i7-3630QM 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM (1600MHz). I think that the difference could be explained by other software which could load the system, by temperatures which influences on CPU clock (turbo-boost) and so on. Anyway, the main thing is that you are satisfied with the performance and having new drivers! 🙂

wimpzilla, I have already thought about that, but i don't think that it is the main reason. Let's be honest, just look around you, how many people do you know (among your friends, colleagues etc.) who has laptop and use eGPU at the same time? Or how many of them even know or ever heard about eGPU? I think the answer is obvious - very few or even zero.

There are not so many eGPU users like us among a huge army of users of laptops and we can't exert even noticeable influence on laptop market by not buying new laptops with new powerful graphic card because of using eGPU. So that's why i'm so skeptic to this point of view. But who knows, and maybe i'm wrong.

Tempest, it would be very very interesting! I think that the 1050 users are already waiting your report in impatience. 🙂

ReplyQuote
OutXider
(@outxider)

I was having issues with a 1080Ti and I know 378.78 introduced that card. I was wondering though if there's a way I can still install the workaround by say using the discrete graphics card, install 368.81, then install 378.78? I understand the problems with the 1050 but that's because you can't install the older driver. But if you have an older video card that can install the driver, wouldn't that technically work?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Well, we saw big brands releasing custom eGPU dock lately, because GPU lately tend to consume fairly low amount of power for high amount of graphical power delivered. Same on CPU side.

Here big brands will at least monitor a market possibly in expansion, already putting some basic rules among the consumers, like the simplest one, have a verified dock that give them some income. How, limiting the GPU connection capacity and viability by drivers.

About driver install, dunno if you tried to manually force a old driver by device panel, see if the card get somehow recognized and then install the newest with the trick. Or at this point rebuild a old driver install with 1050 driver inside. Dunno if it is possible to extract the driver .cab, add the 1050 driver, rebuild the .cab.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Hey guys!

Just tried tricky method on my system - disabled hot plug in BIOS and tried to install new driver (378.78) through old driver. So, there is no need to do exactly "Express" install in step 4 (for now it is 5), and you can also choose "Custom" and install only main driver and Physx. (i will try to edit my original post)

survfate liked
ReplyQuote
velitacast
(@velitacast)

This is becoming a very interesting topic. Has anyone managed to get a driver newer than 375.70 running on an ExpressCard setup?

2011 HP EliteBook 8760w+8560w + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4b) + Win10

ReplyQuote
carage
(@carage)

Posted by: wimpzilla

Well, we saw big brands releasing custom eGPU dock lately, because GPU lately tend to consume fairly low amount of power for high amount of graphical power delivered. Same on CPU side.

Here big brands will at least monitor a market possibly in expansion, already putting some basic rules among the consumers, like the simplest one, have a verified dock that give them some income. How, limiting the GPU connection capacity and viability by drivers.

About driver install, dunno if you tried to manually force a old driver by device panel, see if the card get somehow recognized and then install the newest with the trick. Or at this point rebuild a old driver install with 1050 driver inside. Dunno if it is possible to extract the driver .cab, add the 1050 driver, rebuild the .cab.

The problem is most of these *supported* docks are usually either TB2/TB3 or some proprietry connection. 

ReplyQuote
J1nsei
(@j1nsei)

Doesn't work with gtx1060/3gb.Can someone have another solution for installing new drivers? 

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

J1nsei, i think that you did something wrong. Read the instruction carefully and try again. And btw, what connection do you use to your monitor? If HDMI then change it to DVI, because in 378.78 changelog was written, that  there is an issue in Windows 10 which can cause error 43 in case of using HDMI.

ReplyQuote
J1nsei
(@j1nsei)

I have DVI-HDMI connection already.Of course i did everything according to the instructions, except for the driver version( 1060/3gb works with 372.54 - 372.70)

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Then i can say that you did it wrong, because such driver update is possible only from 368.81. It is the the main requirement!

ReplyQuote
J1nsei
(@j1nsei)

Then i can say that you did it wrong, because such driver update is possible only from 368.81. It is the the main requirement!

1060/3b doesn't support 368.81, because this card came out later.So, maybe is there any way to install this version?

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Unfortunately, if your card doesn't supported by 368.81 then this instruction is not for you. The same thing with 1050 users.

I can only suggest to try this method with the old card, and then replace it with yours 1060 and see will it work for you or not. Or try to mod 368.81 for adding support your card. Sorry for that i can't give you any other advice.

ReplyQuote
OutXider
(@outxider)

Unfortunately, if your card doesn't supported by 368.81 then this instruction is not for you. The same thing with 1050 users.

I can only suggest to try this method with the old card, and then replace it with yours 1060 and see will it work for you or not. Or try to mod 368.81 for adding support your card. Sorry for that i can't give you any other advice.

Unfortunately it does not work. I tried with a 1080Ti. I loaded up my 980Ti first. DDU the drivers, restarted. Loaded up the 368.81 drivers, deleted the restart registry key, installed 378.78. Turned off the computer and put on the 1080Ti and got an error 43 upon startup. I turned on hot swappable, turned it off, and nothing works. Spent all day yesterday to try to get something to work.

ReplyQuote
maynard12
(@maynard12)

hello thanks for this information and to igor as well but i tried playing CS:GO and i'm having problem with smoke grenades causing system to crash for some time. 

ReplyQuote
maynard12
(@maynard12)

Posted by: Cacada

No problem.

I am running Lenovo Y480 i7-3610QM with EXP GDC 8.4 via mPCIe

GTX 1060 6GB EVGA connected with 1 x 6 Pin

I followed Igors steps as follows :

Downloaded 368.81 and 378.57

Ran DDU in safe mode - removed all and rebooted.

Installed 368.81 - standard installer (Chose Custom  - Driver and Physx)

DID NOT REBOOT

Opened regedit and went to HKEYLOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/

Deleted the key NVIDIA_REBOOTNEEDED

Installed 378.57 via installer - EXPRESS

Rebooted

Voila

i have the same system and mpcie adapter (EXP GDC 8.4)
this steps worked for me and updated to 378.78  but!,
when i tried to open msi afterburner it gives me blue screen
and some problems on games like stuttering, lags, and crashes (CSGO)
maybe the gtx1060 6GB (galax EXOC) is too much overclocked for my system
or powersupply issues. maybe downclocking the GPU will help but i dont know if its worth
i think its better to build a pc with my GPU instead 

ReplyQuote
Gagliano20
(@gagliano20)

alright, i have asus n73sv, i have a fully unlocked bios, i can enable and disable hotplug on my pci-e ports, i have a working 960 msi in my gdc exp, and just bought a asus 1050ti strix, will this give me issues or will it work? i never had issues while installing anything + run the latest drivers

2011 17" Asus N73SV + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

I am a little off topic here, but Gagliano, why would you go from a GTX960 to a 1050Ti? They are very close in performance, so the value for the money isn't quite there.

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Ajayajayaj
(@ajayajayaj)
Trusted Member

It should work, but I don't think you can use the latest drivers. But, there will be drivers that work for it.

2011 15" Asus U57A + GTX1050@4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC) + Win10 (no guide)

ReplyQuote
Gagliano20
(@gagliano20)

the 960 is borrowed, and i got the asus 1050 ti strix 4gb for 120 euro's which is amazingly cheap!

and it's only 3 months old aswell, so i get warrenty too :D:D

2011 17" Asus N73SV + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Oh, cool. That makes sense 🙂

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
maynard12
(@maynard12)

Anybody using gtx960/970 for exp gdc here? Any issues? Pros and cons? Im thinking to trade my gtx1060 for gtx970

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: maynard12

Anybody using gtx960/970 for exp gdc here? Any issues? Pros and cons? Im thinking to trade my gtx1060 for gtx970

I was using a GTX 960 with a mPCIe Beast. No problems at all, but I swapped it for a RX 480 because I just needed a little better performance. Would have preferred a GTX 980, but even used ones go for >$250.

maynard12 liked
ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Hey guys! I have already read a lot about error 43 problem (not only with eGPU use). And i have a feeling that this could be related with the nvidia's effort to fix DPC latency problems which are typical only for 10xx series. So it is only my assumption that nvidia didn't want to kill eGPU, but it is only coincidence. Need to investigate more.

maynard12 and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Hey guys! I have already read a lot about error 43 problem (not only with eGPU use). And i have a feeling that this could be related with the nvidia's effort to fix DPC latency problems which are typical only for 10xx series. So it is only my assumption that nvidia didn't want to kill eGPU, but it is only coincidence. Need to investigate more.

NVIDIA made major changes sometime after 372.70. When I was trying to get my 1050 to work I used WinMerge to compare registry files between 372.70 and later drivers and the changes were very significant.

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Plastixx, it's obvious. They always make some optimizations, add new videocards, increase the performance in different games and so on. But the problem is in what exactly changes did lead to error 43 for us. So i made an assumption about it.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

So the GTX 9xx series is still working fine with the latest drivers (~378.78)? Worried that I'll have problems running ME Andromeda properly with my 1050 on the 375.63 drivers.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

The GTX 9XX series should be working just fine with the latest drivers.

ybodhanya liked
ReplyQuote
OutXider
(@outxider)

Anyone have any issues getting the GTX 1080 to work? I already tried the 1080ti and no dice.

ReplyQuote
 of  9