NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver

Notifications
Clear all

NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver  

of  30
  RSS

Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

No problem.

I am running Lenovo Y480 i7-3610QM with EXP GDC 8.4 via mPCIe

GTX 1060 6GB EVGA connected with 1 x 6 Pin

I followed Igors steps as follows :

Downloaded 368.81 and 378.57

Ran DDU in safe mode - removed all and rebooted.

Installed 368.81 - standard installer (Chose Custom  - Driver and Physx)

DID NOT REBOOT

Opened regedit and went to HKEYLOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/

Deleted the key NVIDIA_REBOOTNEEDED

Installed 378.57 via installer - EXPRESS

Rebooted

Voila

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DavidC
(@davidc)

Cacada,

Thanks a lot.  I have a very similar setup with a Lenovo G510 non-hotplug.  I'll try this right away.

Just one question, I cannot find 378.57 on guru3d.  Do you mean 378.77?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
DavidC
(@davidc)

Cacada,

NM, found it.  It is listed on the download first page instead of the Video Drivers list.  Wonder if 378.78 will work also.  I'll try.

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

Sure, DavidC I am busy actually enjoying my gpu setup right now instead of fixing it - so feel free to go ahead and try latest driver.

I'm pretty sure it will work with same strategy!

ReplyQuote
survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member

Posted by: IgorGIV

Hello everyone!

There is a very tricky workaround to avoid error 43 on GTX10xx videocards, which is quiet popular in our russian egpu community. I didn't try it, but i have read a lot of successful stories about it. So do it on your own risk!

Here is the instruction:

1. Download from nVidia archive 368.81 and 378.57 drivers.

2. Uninstall all current nVidia drivers using DDU, and reboot (or it will be rebooted automatically).

3. Install 368.81 and DO NOT REBOOT your system.

4. Start installing 378.57 in Express mode (not clean install!).

5. Reboot your system after install procedure will be done and there will be no error 43, and videocard will work perfectly with 378.57 driver (of course you still can't update to a newer drivers).

You may faced with not working "GeForce Experience", but as for me, i don't think it is useful software. I always install only driver and Physx.

Please let me know if it will be helpful for someone.

holy moly this is huge, I might get a 1050ti next month, did you know anyone success with it (the 1050ti)? awesome piece of information.

2012 15" ASUS K55VJ (GT635M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

survfate,

Unfortunately i haven't heard about 1050 users who tried this instruction. And i don't think it will be helpful for 1050 users at all as far as this videocard doesn't have support in 368.81. And this driver is required for this trick. Anyway, you can try this and write here whether it works for you or not. Or maybe it would be possible to make this with other videocard which doesn't have error 43, and then (after successful installation) replace it with 1050?

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: IgorGIV

survfate,

Unfortunately i haven't heard about 1050 users who tried this instruction. And i don't think it will be helpful for 1050 users at all as far as this videocard doesn't have support in 368.81. And this driver is required for this trick. Anyway, you can try this and write here whether it works for you or not. Or maybe it would be possible to make this with other videocard which doesn't have error 43, and then (after successful installation) replace it with 1050?

I successfully modded 372.70 to "work" with the 1050 (extremely poor performance). I'm sure the same could be done with 368.81.

Tried installing newer drivers over the older modded drivers, but I would always end up with a black screen. I still have the 1050 but I really don't have any ambition to play around with it any further now that I have a working RX 480.

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
DavidC
(@davidc)

Posted by: Cacada

No problem.

I am running Lenovo Y480 i7-3610QM with EXP GDC 8.4 via mPCIe

GTX 1060 6GB EVGA connected with 1 x 6 Pin

I followed Igors steps as follows :

Downloaded 368.81 and 378.57

Ran DDU in safe mode - removed all and rebooted.

Installed 368.81 - standard installer (Chose Custom  - Driver and Physx)

DID NOT REBOOT

Opened regedit and went to HKEYLOCALMACHINE/SOFTWARE/

Deleted the key NVIDIA_REBOOTNEEDED

Installed 378.57 via installer - EXPRESS

Rebooted

Voila

Thanks to IgorGIV and Cacada.

I followed these exact steps and was able to get below system to work:

- Lenovo G510, Wins 8.1, factory BIOS (Non Hotplug), mPCIx, EXP GDC 8.4, GTX 1060 6GB

Additionally, I tried to install 378.78 over 372.70 and it didn't work (error 43).  Tried 378.78 (the newest driver) over 368.81 and it worked.  Will see how stable this will be.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Have you checked that this not lead to a fake install and it is not just a trick that fake the newest drivers install? Like check the revision of the file or if there is any real fps gain, like it should be on pascal series. Before reboot and after the laptop reboot/shutdown.

If yes, sir i take my hat off and say you did a pretty damn good job finding this trick!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

DavidC,

Thanks for your report! Glad to see that it works even with the newest drivers!

wimpzilla,

It's not my merit, i only post this method here because it already helped some people. Anyway Cacada reported that performance in games increased (i have already asked him about the difference between two drivers on previous page). But you are absolutely right - we need more tests and reports before confirm this method working properly. 

However i fear that nVidia will kill this method soon. Btw, does anybody know why did they do this with us? Any official statement about killing egpu in new drivers?

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
 of  30