NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver

Notifications
Clear all

NVidia is killing off mPCIe/NGFF.M2 eGPUs : error 43 with 372.90 or newer driver  

of  30
  RSS

junai78
(@junai78)

So, what's the next step if i have a modded bios to enable the hotplug for the 1050 Ti?

Can i install the latest driver and have it running?

(Bought the eGPU setup but didnt check that my laptop didn't have mPCIE and only NGFF. Have already ordered the NGFF cable and it's on its way)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

Have had 2.blue screens so far only when watching YouTube. Not sure if related. 

Dxgmm1. Sys stop error which seems to be related to video driver. 

Having said that I had no issues with any games over a few hours yesterday using this trick. 

I'm curious if it is actually using the latest drivers as wimpzilla suggests, DavidC have you tried some benchmarks with the very latest drivers esp with dx12? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Have the same issues at 375.70 (clean install) + enabled "hot plug". BSOD when try to watch youtube in fullscreen (in small window everything is OK).

I have only two versions: driver related problems at all, driver + egpu related problems.

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

I am now running 378.78 - did Firestrike and got about 8650 (previous 8150) - not a huge difference but some improvement.

Also I don't seem to have any other issues with gaming, only with video playback on streaming sites where I get graphical glitches.

This is not so bad since I can use this laptop just for gaming and have another small machine I can use for all other tasks.

Will report back if any other issues come up that would stop me from using this "hack".

To confirm to those with 1050 cards - this workaround will not work for you unfortunately - so far no one has been able to get the 1050 to work well with mPCIe because the driver version that introduced this card is later than the one used for this workaround (368.81)

ReplyQuote
survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member

Posted by: IgorGIV

survfate,

Unfortunately i haven't heard about 1050 users who tried this instruction. And i don't think it will be helpful for 1050 users at all as far as this videocard doesn't have support in 368.81. And this driver is required for this trick. Anyway, you can try this and write here whether it works for you or not. Or maybe it would be possible to make this with other videocard which doesn't have error 43, and then (after successful installation) replace it with 1050?

I read in another post that you have a Lenovo Y580, did you success in Bios Mod it to enable hot plug yet?

2012 15" ASUS K55VJ (GT635M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
IgorGIV
(@igorgiv)
Trusted Member

Cacada,

Firestrike - 8932, 375.70 driver.

survfate,

Yes, i wrote there that i did BIOS mod and enabled hot plug (as you can see in my previous post here). 😉

If you never ask, then you will never learn

ReplyQuote
Cacada
(@cacada)
Eminent Member

Igor - I am running an I7-3610QM 2.3gHz with 8GB - how about you?
I'm pretty content with the benchmark considering this "hacky" solution we are using

ReplyQuote
junai78
(@junai78)

Dang. It's hard to swallow it then you said it like that. 🙁

GPU is not that cheap in my country. 1050 Ti cost like $850 here while 1060 is over $1200. 

Guess the GDC EXP i bought is going to waste. Have to save up more for a desktop then.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

It seems the 3Dmark score is higher, so higher fps, you need to check carefully the graphic score, if you run it 3 times with old and news and find the graphic score/fps higher with the new, there is a lot of chances that you are running effectively with the newest.

Other way is to run Valley benchmark, poorly cpu bound, highly gpu bond! Then again do 3 run and check the scores/fps!

If you can check after the reboot too.

About the fact nvidia is killing eGPU, it is not nvidia, the greedy green monster couldn't bother less, since you still buying it's product. But all his laptops partners are not happy you bought a cheaper laptop with better graphic performances at the end! Remember, on old laptops without TBE or NGFF M2.M who cares, but the newest ones have these features that allow at least a decent pci-e bandwidth and so really good performances.

@junai78: If the trick work try anyway with drivers that do not recognize the card, even older, then give it a try.

I advice to try this trick with a lot of drivers revisions, from old old drivers to the newest ones.

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tempest
(@tempest)

Posted by: Cacada

I am now running 378.78 - did Firestrike and got about 8650 (previous 8150) - not a huge difference but some improvement.

Also I don't seem to have any other issues with gaming, only with video playback on streaming sites where I get graphical glitches.

This is not so bad since I can use this laptop just for gaming and have another small machine I can use for all other tasks.

Will report back if any other issues come up that would stop me from using this "hack".

To confirm to those with 1050 cards - this workaround will not work for you unfortunately - so far no one has been able to get the 1050 to work well with mPCIe because the driver version that introduced this card is later than the one used for this workaround (368.81)

Hi. I wonder if I mod the 368.81 drivers and force them to install with the gtx 1050 and follow the rest of the workaround. Will this work? I plan to test this soon. I have a GTX 970, GTX 1050 and a GTX 1080. The laptop is a Asus G46VR with modded BIOS. Egpu adapter is exp GDC beast.

ReplyQuote
 of  30