Putting amd rx 580 in a lenovo y500 help

Putting amd rx 580 in a lenovo y500 help  

RSS

(@matt_starrs)
Mar 30, 2019 10:51 am  

I have a lenovo y500 with 3630qm i7 2.4ghz quad core processor 16 gb ram and the 2 nvidia gt 650m sli graphic cards. These cards are very weak so i decided to buy a better one off ebay a amd rx 580 and use the exp gdc beast v8.5 dock which i also got off ebay along with a atx 650w psu. Now i saw a youtube video with the exact same setup with a few different cards however im told this will work. I just need to know what other equipment i need to get and when the dock arrives someone to help guide me through setting it up. I believe i need another monitor for best performance however im told with a certian cable i can use my laptops monitor. Also i guess i need to have a usb wifi adaptor to be able to play games online since the mpcie slot is being used for the dock now. Will someone be able to help me out with this? Thank you.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@matt_starrs)
Apr 2, 2019 10:49 pm  

Everything has arrived in the mail however there is no 6 pin connecter cable with the dock and i guess i need to figure out which of the atx psu cords to use with each of the terminals. Some help from anyone who has done this i just dont want to brick my laptop. I have already connected the docks connector to the mpcie slot and which cords from the psu that seem like the go with the 4 pin 6 pin 16 pin terminals on the dock and gpu.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
tirpinz
(@tirpinz)
Jun 1, 2019 10:54 am  

Let me know how this went, I too have an ideapad y500 that i've pulled out of storage after having forgot about it. I know most of the posts I've read online it looks bleak on the upgrade side.  But would like to hear if this worked.

ReplyQuote