Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Radeon R9 380 or GTX970 for HP 8570p  

RSS

Edward09
(@edward09)

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie in this forum and I've known about eGpu for just a few days. So i want to ask you some questions. I have an HP Elitebook 8570p and this is my specs : 

Intel core i5-3320m

VGA: AMD HD 7570m

I am planning to use an EXP GDC beast 8.0 and there are 2 options i am wondering : radeon r9 380 and gtx 970. I like r9 380 more because it's cheaper, but someone says it's hard to set up an AMD card for a laptop which also have AMD dGPU . IN the other hand,a GTx is easier to set up and have better performance. SO which one should i buy ?

Another question : As I know a core I5 CPU always have integrated card Intel HD 4000 on it, but when I check in the device manager there's only dGPU Radeon 7570m. Is it possible for me to use an EGPU?

Sorry for my English . Please help me and thanks in advance

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Your system has no iGPU so it nullifies NVidia's Optimus advantage. AMD has more Gen2 fault tolerance whereas NVidia will respond with "NVidia driver has stopped responding errors" if your eGPU adapter isn't Gen2 reliable. DX11 performance favors the NVidia card from my testing. You'll need to make sure there is a unified 7570M and R9 380 driver for it to work. NVidia has noticably lower power consumption, AMD has more powerful raw computing power. I found NVidia is easier to coax to work in an eGPU environment.

If it was me, I'd take the NVidia card for your system simply because of the unified driver issue. If your system only had a NVidia dGPU then conversely I'd choose AMD for the same reason.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

3RYL and Edward09 liked
ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Sometimes mixing up brands really does help ;p.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

Edward09 liked
ReplyQuote
tygpu
(@tygpu)
Eminent Member

Hi, I asked me the same question a few weeks ago, you should have a look to R9 380X if you want an alternative to gtx970.

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [3rd,4C,Q] + GTX 970 @ 4Gbps-EC2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
xarcoft
(@xarcoft)

Posted by: Edward09

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie in this forum and I've known about eGpu for just a few days. So i want to ask you some questions. I have an HP Elitebook 8570p and this is my specs : 

Intel core i5-3320m

VGA: AMD HD 7570m

I am planning to use an EXP GDC beast 8.0 and there are 2 options i am wondering : radeon r9 380 and gtx 970. I like r9 380 more because it's cheaper, but someone says it's hard to set up an AMD card for a laptop which also have AMD dGPU . IN the other hand,a GTx is easier to set up and have better performance. SO which one should i buy ?

Another question : As I know a core I5 CPU always have integrated card Intel HD 4000 on it, but when I check in the device manager there's only dGPU Radeon 7570m. Is it possible for me to use an EGPU?

Sorry for my English . Please help me and thanks in advance

Did you got it working?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote