RX 580 Expresscard awful gaming performance

Notifications
Clear all

RX 580 Expresscard awful gaming performance  

of  2
  RSS

raoufsb
(@raoufsb)

Hey guys I need some insight. I have a DELL Precision m4700 with an i7 3740qm cpu and 16gb  of ram that I paired up with an MSI RX580 Gaming X 8GB using the Expresscard version of the gdc exp, and the GPU is plugged into an external monitor.

Everything is setup just fine, I have the latest AMD drivers and I never had any windows errors or nothing. The only issue is the dogshit performance in games, when I try running GPU benchmarks like 3Dmark or Heaven 4.0 I get scores that are up there with a normal desktop RX580 , maybe a bit lower but definitely close. But whenever I try to play a game it runs like shit. Now just to be clear I'm not so naive that I didn't expect a drop in performance since it's an egpu, but I'm not talking a 25% drop here it's more like I'm getting barely 25% of the performance!

Games like Forza horizon 4, monster hunter world where a desktop RX580 gets 80 fps on ultra at 1080p, I get maybe 30 fps on medium at my monitor's lower resolution of 1360x768.

I thought for awhile that it was an issue with my PSU since it was kinda old so I went and got a quality one which didnt change anything. I even tried overclocking the card to 1400/2200 and all that did was gain me a couple fps.

I genuinely have no clue at this point, surely this is not how it's supposed to be right? Anybody with an RX 580? what kind of performance are you getting?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
The Numbers
(@the_numbers)

If you're using the internal display you're strangling the performance. You need an external monitor to maximize performance through an express cardsetup since the lanes are already severely limited, so if you aren't already I would give that a try.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
raoufsb
(@raoufsb)

@the_numbers, I am using an external monitor as mentioned in the second line of my post

ReplyQuote
The Numbers
(@the_numbers)

@raoufsb, sorry I'm blind and skipped right over that part

ReplyQuote
raoufsb
(@raoufsb)

@the_numbers, it's okay pal, thanks for trying to help out

ReplyQuote
lwf
 lwf
(@lwf)
Eminent Member

That looks like a fairly old CPU I wonder if it could be the bottleneck in games, while affecting benchmarks less.

2020 15" Lenovo Slim 7 [10th,4C,G] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
raoufsb
(@raoufsb)

@lwf, Nah it's always like 60% usage on the cpu at max. It's not exactly the greatest cpu around but it's a quad core and it can handle the games I'm tryna run just fine.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

@raoufsb, is there any way the airflow is being restricted or the Gpu cooler isn’t working?

I have been playing around with custom cooling options with a 580 recently and on one of my early set ups I put the fan on the wrong way and it chocked it down to 30fps or less in Pubg whereas once flipped it it 80 (but settled at 50-60 usually). 

maybe benchmarks don’t run long enough for temps to be an issue?

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@raoufsb, Forza 4 is very bandwidth sensitive.  With a GTX 1080 Ti on a FHD external LCD, benchmark FPS went from 105 to 74 when going from 32Gbps-M2 to 16Gbps-M2 here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2015-15-dell-precision-7510-q-m1000m-6th4ch-gtx-1080-ti-32gbps-m2-adt-link-r43sg-win10-1803-nando4-compared-to-tb3-performance/

Would dread to think how much of a performance reduction would be seen going to the significantly narrower 4Gbps-EC2 bandwidth:

https://egpu.io/builds/#perf

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
raoufsb
(@raoufsb)

@eightarmedpet, I dont think that's the case since even on full load the GPU doesn't go beyond 60 to 65 degrees

@nando4, That's good to know and would explain why I get pretty much the same performance on Forza on medium to low settings as I do on ultra everything, always in the 20 to 30 fps range. But It's not like just this game is causing issues, even something that shoudn't be demanding at all like Yakuza 0 I cant get constant 60 fps at high to ultra settings, the GPU is always at 100% usage as well. 

ReplyQuote
 of  2