Setup & Software Discussions
RX480 with EXP GDC v8 - periodic atikmpag.sys bluescreen

RX480 with EXP GDC v8 - periodic atikmpag.sys bluescreen  

RSS

beantony
(@beantony)

Hi,

I've been using eGPU for almost three months and constantly experiencing bluescreen with my eGPU. The bluescreen said that windows has problem with atikmpag.sys module, and it said that windows trying to reach the graphic - but it was not responding.

I'm using lenovo z480 laptop (Win 7 64-bit, i7-3612QM, 8GB RAM) with EXP GDC v8 with Sapphire RX480 attached (Corsair PSU). I've tried to set the pci to Gen1 hoping for better stability, but nothing changed, the bluescreen is still there. I've also tried several version of AMD Crimson drivers, no luck at all.

Anyone can help me on this? Maybe there's any setting that I can set in egpu config? Thanks.

Regards,

Tony

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Have you tried under-clocking the card? I was thinking about buying a 480 to replace my 960. While researching which card to buy I came across quite a few complaints about the Sapphire NITRO cards crashing at stock speeds. Just google "sapphire nitro 480 crashing".

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Does it crash at idle (the desktop) or while under load? If it crashes on the desktop, but NOT under load, try using a utility called ClockBlocker. It will prevent your card from dropping to idle clocks and it helps people who are running into this problem with idle AMD cards (of course, it will raise your idle power consumption, but that's the lesser of two evils here).

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
beantony
(@beantony)

@Plastixx

Hmm, never came to me that the problem is the card itself. I will try underclock them then and see if it works. 

@Yukikaze

Most of the crashes are during GPU load, when playing games or playing movie with VLC (GPU decoding/rendering activated). I got less crashes if I tune down the game's graphic settings.. like lowering the Antialiasing quality, lowering the resolution to 1368x768 🙁

My FFXIII and some game also didn't work well with RX480 but works perfectly with the laptop's Geforce 640m GT. At first I thought it was the EGPU PCIe bandwidth bottleneck. It turns out that RX480 has been in idle state and didn't activate when the game launches. I guess I will try this Clockblocker application.

Thanks for your both suggestions, will try it tonight and report the results here later.

ReplyQuote
beantony
(@beantony)

Hi guys,

It seems downclocking the GPU by 10% fixed the issue, no crash in the past 2-3 days. Thanks for the advice, @Plastixx. In my next plan, I'll try to reduce the downclocking gradually until I find the lowest stable value.

Also I've downloaded the clockblocker, but like @Yukikaze said, it always put the GPU in max freq. I tried to use this for playing FFXIII, but it's still laggy.. 

conclusion; the issue is not the eGPU but the card itself. Thank you, all.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Glad you got it working reliably. Sucks that you have to do that though.

I have a MSI Gaming 480 4GB arriving today. I really wanted the Sapphire NITRO; it's a good looking card. Reading all the bad reviews really put me off. The MSI is ugly, but it gets good reviews. Aesthetics come second to reliability.

ReplyQuote
beantony
(@beantony)

I wonder why you didn't take 1060 3GB? It has similar price, better power efficiency, and a slightly better performace.. also it can render in laptop's own lcd as an eGPU.

That time, I should wait a bit until gtx1060 reach the market in my country instead rushing to buy rx480 🙁 But here I am with RX480, I liked the sapphire nitro oc+ design, and the performance too. Big improvement from the old laptop's GT640m.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: beantony

I wonder why you didn't take 1060 3GB? It has similar price, better power efficiency, and a slightly better performace.. also it can render in laptop's own lcd as an eGPU.

Because my setup is connected via mPCIe without hot-plug support. Newer NVIDIA drivers don't work with 10xx series cards and my setup. I would be stuck using outdated drivers.

Using internal display is pointless. I tried with my 960 and the performance was horrible.

ReplyQuote
beantony
(@beantony)

Really? the newer nvidia drivers doesn't work well with 10xx in egpu? that's a news for me o.O

Before I decided to buy rx480, I tested egpu with borrowed gtx 750 and it works fine.. No Man's Sky ran better, compared to GT640m.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member

Would you be able to try Win10 x64 instead of Win7 on your laptop? While you will not get full XConnect functionality, you  might get overall better results...

ReplyQuote
beantony
(@beantony)

Would you enlighten me, what is the advantages of XConnect? As far as I know, this XConnect only uses thunderbolt3.. I might consider upgrading to Win10 x64 🙂

Hi, I'd like to update my RX480 state.. I think tuning down the frequency clock and enabling clockblocker, didn't have any effect on my system.. And I think the crash might be application dependant (how the application uses the VGA).

Frequent crashing --> No Man's Sky, VLC media player

Sometimes crashing --> Batman Arkham Knight, Just Cause 3, Lego Worlds

Rarely crashing --> Mass Effect 2, 3

For next step, I'd like to try using jumper on the PSU pin to make sure the PSU is always on.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Reputable Member

I would suggest you a couple of things.

1. Be sure that your system is perfectly stable, testing the cpu/ram/hdd. Since the crash you got once playing could be the result of others instabilities elsewhere but on vga.
  2. Like you said, be sure your power supply connections are well done: eGPU always on, unmount the GDC and put the 3rd jumper "slim line" on ultra, use different cables for the card 6pin and the GDC power.
  3. Update windows as you can, update your drivers to the last Relive revision or try out the 1st released of Relive driver suite. Update your visual c++ and direct x if needed. Update chipset drivers, sound drivers, everything in few words. ^^

XConnect is the AMD counterpart of Nvidia Optimus for the gpu switch, between HD graphic and discrete gpu!

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

ReplyQuote