Setup & Software Discussions
Setting eGPU as primary GPU (GTX 1050, ExpressCard)

Setting eGPU as primary GPU (GTX 1050, ExpressCard)  

RSS

ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

System Specs:

Dell Latitude E6430: i7 3740QM, 8GB Ram, Nvidia NVS 5200M dGPU, Win 10 64bit, ExpressCard interface.

EXP GDC Beast 8.0, with an EVGA 1050 SC, connected through the ExpressCard interface, powered by a 96W 12V DC power supply. Using the Nvidia 375.63 drivers (Which seem to be the only 1050/TI driver that doesn't give a Code 43 Error, thanks to jimteo for sharing that).

The 375.63 drivers installed without any trouble, didn't need to modify anything. Device Manager detects the 1050 without any errors, as well as HWInfo, GPU-Z, and the Nvidia Control Panel. However, I can't seem to be able to set the 1050 as the main GPU to be used. I've tried setting it as the Physx Processor in the Nvidia Control Panel, as well as setting it to be used for CUDA, but games and 3DMark11 still uses the dGPU (NVS 5200M). I've tried disabling the NVS 5200M in Device Manager, but everything starts using the Intel HD iGPU instead. Can someone please explain to me how to set things to use the 1050?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, this is the first time I'm trying an eGPU setup.

Thanks

Screenshot 53

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

Darias liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Removing all existing NVidia drivers, using ‘DDU‘ to disable automatic driver installation, loading the eGPU desktop drivers and disabling the dGPU with Setup 1.3x has worked for me to fix this issue.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Hi,

I´m thinking about building a pretty similar eGPU-setup. Key facts:

- DELL E6420 with Intel i7-2720QM (iGPU) and NVS 4200 M (dGPU)

- PE4C v3.0 adapter --> using ExpressCard, giving PCIe x1

- eGPU: GTX 1050 Ti, still searching for "my" manufacturer (ZOTAC unfortunately too noisy)

- PSU: DELL DA-2 for powering the PE4C adapter (will likely choose GTX 1050 Ti without requiring additional power of an ATX, so power will be <= 75 W which matches capabilities of PCIe)

I´ve read a lot the last days and also checked TOLUD value, which is quite below 3.0 GByte - so I was pretty happy to not needing to use Setup 1.30 which seems to me like a quite deep (and perhaps risky) dive into the system.

My plan was/is:

Notebook docked using eGPU: Plug in EC, power up eGPU, have fun playing.

Notebook undocked (e. g. on train/plane etc.): Using iGPU and dGPU.

My questions (pretty sure all of them to king of eGPU @nando4 :-)):

1) Is this plan realistic? Or did I miss something?

2) Is the disabling of dGPU with Setup 1.3x a permanent step or can I "quickly" switch between dGPU- and eGPU-setup, e. g. with automated scripts or something like that?

3) Can therefore the NVS 4200 M (currently using driver 376.33) and GTX 1050 Ti use the same driver? In other and simpler words: Can I still use the dGPU (pretty related to question #2)?

@ybodhanya: Did you finally manage to use the GTX 1050 on your system?

Nvidia 1050Ti via PE4C v3.0 (ExpressCard) on a DELL E6420 with Windows 10 on 3 screens (1x notebook, 1x 22 inch, 1x 28 inch 4K).

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

The disabling/enabling the dGPU via Setup 1.31 is an easy step. The biggest problem here is a unified driver that supports the NVS4200M and the GTX1050Ti. As it doesn’t exist you’d have to create your own. Those GPUs are different product lines.

With my ZBook 15 G2 (K2100M) + GTX970 + Win10, I resorted to deleting the K2100M driver and installing the Geforce GTX970 driver. Otherwise the eGPU would get detected and have no errors against it but would error “no display detected”, so was not usable.

May be a matter or battling through the challenges as they present themselves?

Posted by: e-raser

Hi,

2) Is the disabling of dGPU with Setup 1.30 a permanent step or can I “quickly” switch between dGPU- and eGPU-setup, e. g. with automated scripts or something like that?

3) Can therefore the NVS 4200 M (currently using driver 376.33) and GTX 1050 Ti use the same driver? In other and simpler words: Can I still use the dGPU (pretty related to question #2)?

@ybodhanya: Did you finally manage to use the GTX 1050 on your system?

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Thanks for your (very quick) reply! So:

1) How do I create my own driver? 🙂 That´s a complete new dimension of my eGPU project.

2) Maybe better (or easier and less time-consuming) to let dGPU disabled and only use iGPU when traveling? That would be a compromise... 🙁

Posted by: nando4

The biggest problem here is a unified driver that supports the NVS4200M and the GTX1050Ti. As it doesn't exist you'd have to create your own. Those GPUs are different product lines.

Nvidia 1050Ti via PE4C v3.0 (ExpressCard) on a DELL E6420 with Windows 10 on 3 screens (1x notebook, 1x 22 inch, 1x 28 inch 4K).

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Or switch between the NVS4200M and GTX1050Ti drivers by unloading/loading the one you require. If you find a better way then pls share.

1) How do I create my own driver? 🙂 That´s a complete new dimension of my eGPU project.

2) Maybe better (or easier and less time-consuming) to let dGPU disabled and only use iGPU when traveling? That would be a compromise… 🙁

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

@e-raser Not yet unfortunately, I don't have enough free time at the moment for much gaming, and I'm kinda broke so I can't get Setup 1.30/1.31 right now. Will hopefully be able to get it by the end of the month.

@nando4 Actually, if I remember correctly my NVS 5200M ran fine using the GTX 1050 drivers that I installed while testing the 1050. I can test it out again later if you want.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Okay, if that could be automated I would be fine - still a compromise but also still acceptable.

So new questions:
1) Is there a way of "scripting" (Nvidia) driver switch on the fly @ Windows?
2) The root source seems to be the dGPU (NVS 4200 M). I´m not fixed to GTX 1050 Ti, but I quess it doesn´t matter what eGPU I´d choose - it would always end up in the same problem (as you mentioned: different product lines = different drivers), right?

Posted by: nando4

Or switch between the NVS4200M and GTX1050Ti drivers by unloading/loading the one you require. If you find a better way then pls share.

2) Maybe better (or easier and less time-consuming) to let dGPU disabled and only use iGPU when traveling? That would be a compromise... 🙁

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

That sounds good! So if you "just/simply" would use Setup 1.31 to disable your dGPU (NVS 5200 M), you should be done, right (@nando4)?!?
Posted by: ybodhanya

@nando4 Actually, if I remember correctly my NVS 5200M ran fine using the GTX 1050 drivers that I installed while testing the 1050. I can test it out again later if you want.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

@e-raser Hi, I just tested my NVS 5200M with the 1050's GeForce Drivers (375.63) again, to make sure I didn't imagine it last time. It ran fine with those drivers, tested it with Assassin's Creed Revelations. That means you shouldn't need to reinstall drivers every time you want to use the dGPU, or vice versa. Should probably wait for Nando's confirmation on this though.

Screenshot 10

nando4 and e-raser liked
ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Hi ybodhanya, thank you! Looks good. Wish I´d be as far as you are already. I guess you "only" need to disable dGPU via Setup 1.xx software and you´re done. Is there a specific reason for using this old driver version (375.63, currently we´re anywhere at 376.xx)?

@e-raser Hi, I just tested my NVS 5200M with the 1050's GeForce Drivers (375.63) again, to make sure I didn't imagine it last time. It ran fine with those drivers, tested it with Assassin's Creed Revelations. That means you shouldn't need to reinstall drivers every time you want to use the dGPU, or vice versa. Should probably wait for Nando's confirmation on this though.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

Yip, hopefully once I can disable the dGPU I'll be good to go :D. 

So far 375.63 seems to be the only driver working properly with the GTX 1050/Ti, all the other drivers have given me Code 43 errors (Win 10 64bit).

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Hmm, I found this related to error 43 (original language not english, might sound a bit confusing - I just used Google Translate):

D) Error 43 - "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems.":
This error indicates that something basic is wrong with connecting your notebook to the eGPU adapter.

Solutions):

For Bplus adapters: Make sure that the switches SW1 are set to 1-2 and SW2 to 2-3.
     If you have an Intel iGPU: Check the version of the iGPU driver and install (if possible) the latest version from the Intel support page.
     In the worst case, the eGPU adapter may be defective.

So meanwhile I´m waiting for @nando4 to confirm the "no need for driver switch" information. So I´d just enable or disable the eGPU whenever I (don´t) need it. So then I´ll get a copy of Setup 1.30 and figure out how to automate this hardware switch process (dGPU -> eGPU and vice versa). For the moment a positive outlook for my eGPU project! 🙂

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

I was wondering (from what i've read ),so basically once the eGPU is up and running the iGPU only provides the signal to the screen.Is better driver like modded one for the iGPU will make difference or it's all the same?My iGPU is HD 3000 and the latest driver is one provided by Microsoft only,which is some kind of modified version of the driver for windows 8,they just made it work for win 10 and it's awful(INTEL stopped providing support for this GPU).So i ended up using a modded driver which is 100 times better and it works on WIN 10 but will it make a difference with eGPU setup? The downside so far i've notice is that every time when i have to update the drivers on my dGPU it won't let me,it says "you need to install intel drivers first",not sure what the problem is,i guess whoever modded it messed up the optimus maybe?

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Hi @nando4, any last words on this? Looks like with Nvidia 375.63 I can run both cards (NVS and GTX) without needing to switch drivers every time I switch dGPU -> eGPU and vice versa (using Setup 1.3x).

So meanwhile I´m waiting for @nando4 to confirm the "no need for driver switch" information. So I´d just enable or disable the eGPU whenever I (don´t) need it. So then I´ll get a copy of Setup 1.30 and figure out how to automate this hardware switch process (dGPU -> eGPU and vice versa). For the moment a positive outlook for my eGPU project! 🙂

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

It’s great that your NVS and Geforce can operate off the same driver. My ZBook 15 G2’s Quadro K2100M + Geforce GTX970 eGPU wouldn’t do that, requiring uninstall/reinstall of the required one to get operation of the desired GPU.

Hi @nando4, any last words on this? Looks like with Nvidia 375.63 I can run both cards (NVS and GTX) without needing to switch drivers every time I switch dGPU -> eGPU and vice versa (using Setup 1.3x).

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

From what I've read, the NVS 5200M is a cut-down version of a GT 525M, so that may be why the GeForce drivers work with it.

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Does that exclusively match for the NVS 5200 M or the whole product line (reminder: I have a NVS 4200 M = earlier version)?

Update: Only found http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en/debsdt1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=3D66D for NVS 5200 M. But: it´s a DELL modified one; we´re talking about the needed original Nvidia drivers.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

I'm not entirely sure whether it's the whole range or not, but the NVS 4200M does seem like a cut-down version of the GT 520M.

Comparison of NVS 4200M and GT 520M

Comparison of NVS 5200M and GT 525M

ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Great site, thanks a lot! Looks indeed like they share the same architecture and have similiar specs. This and your prove your dGPU worked with GeForce drivers is enough for me, sounds really good.

I'm not entirely sure whether it's the whole range or not, but the NVS 4200M does seem like a cut-down version of the GT 520M.

Comparison of NVS 4200M and GT 520M

Comparison of NVS 5200M and GT 525M

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

Success :D. Last time I tried disabling the dGPU in Device Manager, but programs would then use the iGPU instead of the eGPU. This time I disabled the PCI Express Root Port in Device Manager, which includes disabling the dGPU, and programs are now running with the eGPU (Thank you to dani29m for this method). Just tried the Witcher 3, the card is running at x1 2.0, bus usage peaked at 91%, but mostly sat at around 60-70%. Hot-Plug also works fine (using ExpressCard). Gonna run FireStrike now, will post the results here once done. All of this is through the laptop's internal LCD, so I guess there'll be a performance hit from that.

Benchmark results:

4774 in Fire Strike, and 1807 in Time Spy, both using the internal LCD. Will try and benchmark with an external monitor later on.

Screenshot 13

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
e-raser
(@e-raser)
Eminent Member

Hi there, I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and about 1 year ago I managed to make it working in an eGPU setup with Setup 1.3x and Nvidia driver v375.70 thanks to all the information in this topic here. This v375.70 was - in January 2017 - the latest Nvidia driver working.

Now as some games aren´t working - assuming it´s a driver thing, e. g. DirectX 12 etc. - I´m wondering what´s the latest official Nvidia driver working with my hardware (or common GTX 10X0 eGPU setups)? What´s the current broad agreement on this?

ReplyQuote
miramanee
(@miramanee)

Hello

I will Setup a egpu with my Laptop but i dont know if it will work 🙁

– ThinkPad T420 i5-2540M ,16GB RAM Intel onboard HD

– PE4C v3.0 adapter with Expresscard

– eGPU: GTX 1050TI (will this work) or a GTX 750TI

– PSU: DELL DA-2

will this work?

do i Need anything else Hardware?

ReplyQuote