Thinkpad T430 + EXP GDC 8.5c + GTX 1060 - GPU installed automaticly and detected...

Notifications
Clear all

Thinkpad T430 + EXP GDC 8.5c + GTX 1060 - GPU installed automaticly and detected without error 43 but it doesn't work!  

RSS

Mikołaj Rajchert
(@mikolaj_rajchert)

Hi All,

I have Thinkpad T430 upgraded to I7-3840QM, 2x 8GB GSkill with very low CL.

I bought eGPU EXP GDC 8.5c with expresscard.

I went a few days earlier to man who had GTX 1060 for sell and he accepted to check this card for eGPU.

I connected all powers and controls wires and booted laptop.

Everything went like in the movies in YT ( 😉 ) - windows detected automaticly eGPU and instelled correct driver for GTX 1060 without my help. 

Then i had problem w error 43 so i fixed it by script. Error 43 was fixed so and all workd fine - in T430 display and external display without any problems.

I could open NVIDIA control panel and choose main GPU GTX 1060 and i did it. I checked eGPU in 3DMark, Asseto Corsa and other programs to be sure the GTX 1060 is ok.

Every think was ok with eGPU and GPU so i bought the GPU.

The next day i wanted to boot my laptop and all good experiences from the previous day was gone...

Windows still detected eGPU and GTX 1060 in device manager and there is all clear - without any errors - but in real GPU doesn't work and I really don't know why!!! Evil

I tried with use DDU, uninstall all GPU drivers and again install GPU but (!) after this windows still installing correct drivers and ( it's funny and I don't know why -.- ) after installation everythink is fine without any error 43 but eGPU still doesn't work... kill me...

Please help me guys if you have any great ideas. :/

Thank you! <3

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Estimable Member

@mikolaj_rajchert, Your laptop have Dedicated GPU?

2016 15" ASUS ZenBook Pro UX501VW (GTX960M) [6th,4C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ADT-Link R43SL * M.2-TB3) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
jbj
 jbj
(@jbj)

Hi, I have an old T430 with internal GPU running ubuntu mate 20.04

I also have the 8.5c with express card, which I am trying to setup, so hopefully we can learn from each others.

I got an old 300w power supply, when just connecting the power to the GDC, I got HDMI output through the graphics card, but I could not use the graphics card.

When then connecting the 6 pin power to the card, I get both the internal and external screen turning on while booting, but just before the login menu both screens displays the following error messages and then goes blank.

"""

[ 10.037261] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT, FIELD [TBF3] at bit offset/length 245760/32768 exceeds size of target Buffer (262144 bits) (20190816/dsopcode-198)
[ 10.038573] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.PEG.VID.GETB due to previous error (AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT) (20190816/psparse-529)
[ 10.038587] ACPI Error: Aborting method \_SB.PCI0.PEG.VID._ROM due to previous error (AE_AML_BUFFER_LIMIT) (20190816/psparse-529)

"""

If I press ctrl alt f1, I get command line interface, but cannot start graphical userinterface.

the card I am testing with, can be detected with this script[1] as  AMD/ATI Curacao PRO Radeon R7 370 /R9 270/370 OEM.

changing display settings in BIOS away from optimus, allows me to start normally with graphical userinterface, the graphics card can in this case be detected, but I cant seem to use it. 

I will be trying to solve this setup during the next few days, if anyone has some helpful comments, they will be appreciated. 

[1]: https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-linux-setup/ubuntu-19-04-easy-to-use-setup-script-for-your-egpu/

This post was modified 12 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
gnx
 gnx
(@gnx)

@mikolaj_rajchert

Regarding Windows installing drivers there is an option provided by DDU to prevent that, but for your machine if there is a dGPU you should look into disabling it before the mbr is chainloaded if you want this to reliably boot with the eGPU.

Also with that machine, see if your link is Gen2 or Gen1, if it is Gen2 try to force it to Gen1 and retrain before booting. This is what made the difference with my Latitude e6440

@jbj

I'm about to try my latitude + GT 1030 on Arch Linux tomorrow or so, so I might get back to you on this heh

This post was modified 10 months ago

'a replacement for displacement'

Latitude e6440 - Core i7-4900MQ - EXP GDC Beast '8.5c' mPCIe OR Expresscard - GT 1030 - DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 (Windows+Arch Linux)

ReplyQuote
jbj
 jbj
(@jbj)

@gnx

I haven't had too much of a look at it since my last post, but I think I missed amd drivers ... for internal nvidia drivers I have just been used to autodetect missing drivers og get them with apt-get.

I will have a look at drivers here and see if that works

* https://amdgpu-install.readthedocs.io/en/latest/  

* https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-amdgpu-unified-linux-20-20

edit: thanks to automatic link generation in this forum for links to drivers ! 

This post was modified 10 months ago

ReplyQuote