Setup & Software Discussions
Thinkpad X230 + EXP GDC v8.4d + GTX 1050...

Thinkpad X230 + EXP GDC v8.4d + GTX 1050Ti - Success! Lots of questions  

RSS

kunparekh18
(@kunparekh18)
Sep 12, 2018 4:22 pm  

Hey!

I got a 1050Ti working with EXP GDC connected through the ExpressCard interface with my X230. Everything works fine, so yay! I have a lot of questions about this setup now, though - I'd really appreciate it if anyone took time to answer them.

1. About the link stability - how do I know if, during a game, the GPU is running at PCIe 1.1 or 2.0 x1? It does stay at 2.0 when I run the GPU-Z render test, but otherwise GPU-Z tells me it keeps changing every minute or so between 1.1 and 2.0. I've had no crashes or BSODs so far on whatever light gaming or benchmarking I do (Starcraft, Fortnite) so I guess that means it's pretty stable?
  2. It does work on the 375.63 drivers but I'd like it to work on the latest drivers. Is this possible?
  3. Performance - what should I expect? Does anyone have benchmarks that they can share? FurMark's 720p preset gives me 53fps on an external 1366x768 monitor. I'm concerned that the GPU is running at PCIe 1.1 since Fortnite on the monitor gives me ~30 fps on medium graphics settings - a 1050Ti can't be that bad, right? (CPU: i5 3230M)
  4. The laptop doesn't boot past the initial screen (doesn't get to bootloader) when the external display is hooked up to the GPU. It seems I always need to plug the display in after Windows has booted up. Is there a way around this?
  5. The GPU can be used as a plug-and-play device - but only when Windows is first booted with it plugged in. Otherwise, I get Code 12 when I plug the GPU in. Is this to be expected or can this be changed?
  6. There's a USB port on the EXP GDC that doesn't seem to be working. Is there anything I need to do to get it to work?
  7. This laptop is dual-booted: I run Windows 10 and Arch Linux. I've failed to get the GPU running on linux - I tried both the nouveau and nvidia drivers. It seems like I'm missing something - modprobe nvidia tells me invalid parameters. I tried adding a display section to xorg.conf but on reboot X11 fails to start.

Thanks in advance!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Jeanzin
(@jeanzin)
Eminent Member
Oct 4, 2018 3:38 am  

hi, how do you made it work? I have a asus 1050ti, and dont know where to start, dont know if I will need a egpu setup and shit like that...lol kinda lost here.
the egpu started together with my laptop as i booted, but i lost it on the driver configuration, do you have any tips?

Thanks in advance

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
Oct 4, 2018 3:59 am  
Posted by: kunparekh18

Hey!

I got a 1050Ti working with EXP GDC connected through the ExpressCard interface with my X230. Everything works fine, so yay! I have a lot of questions about this setup now, though - I'd really appreciate it if anyone took time to answer them.

1. About the link stability - how do I know if, during a game, the GPU is running at PCIe 1.1 or 2.0 x1? It does stay at 2.0 when I run the GPU-Z render test, but otherwise GPU-Z tells me it keeps changing every minute or so between 1.1 and 2.0. I've had no crashes or BSODs so far on whatever light gaming or benchmarking I do (Starcraft, Fortnite) so I guess that means it's pretty stable?
  2. It does work on the 375.63 drivers but I'd like it to work on the latest drivers. Is this possible?
  3. Performance - what should I expect? Does anyone have benchmarks that they can share? FurMark's 720p preset gives me 53fps on an external 1366x768 monitor. I'm concerned that the GPU is running at PCIe 1.1 since Fortnite on the monitor gives me ~30 fps on medium graphics settings - a 1050Ti can't be that bad, right? (CPU: i5 3230M)
  4. The laptop doesn't boot past the initial screen (doesn't get to bootloader) when the external display is hooked up to the GPU. It seems I always need to plug the display in after Windows has booted up. Is there a way around this?
  5. The GPU can be used as a plug-and-play device - but only when Windows is first booted with it plugged in. Otherwise, I get Code 12 when I plug the GPU in. Is this to be expected or can this be changed?
  6. There's a USB port on the EXP GDC that doesn't seem to be working. Is there anything I need to do to get it to work?
  7. This laptop is dual-booted: I run Windows 10 and Arch Linux. I've failed to get the GPU running on linux - I tried both the nouveau and nvidia drivers. It seems like I'm missing something - modprobe nvidia tells me invalid parameters. I tried adding a display section to xorg.conf but on reboot X11 fails to start.

Thanks in advance!

1. Link speed changes as part of power conservation, so as long as there are no crashes and it shows 2.0 on the render test, everything should be working as advertised. If you set PCIe to max power in the Windows Advanced Power Options, you can nail it to the Gen2 speeds.
2. Try it. If it Code 43s, then try nando's utility. Or just nuke all drivers with DDU and go back to 375.63.
3. I have 3DMark benchmarks of a T430s and a GTX1050Ti, here (bottom of post). Can't help you with Fortnite, I no longer have the 1050Ti, nor do I play it.
4. Try to use the delay switches on the GDC to see if you can force it boot past BIOS without the eGPU, then get it connected as the OS loads.
5. In my experience that is pretty much what happens. It needs to reallocate the PCIe resources to accommodate the card. If you don't want to power down, you can sleep/hibernate and connect the card. That may work.
6. In theory, Expresscard should expose both PCIe and USB, so that port should work, but the laptop might only enable one in a given time, auto detecting which one. Check BIOS for any relevant settings.
7. I had a horrible time with my T430s and Linux (Mint and Ubuntu). I eventually got it to work but only when the laptop screen was off and an external was connected. This was a while ago, so I don't really have more advice.

Hope this helps a bit.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
terabyte25
(@terabyte25)
Oct 7, 2018 4:56 pm  

I've tried everything for Linux, and right now the only thing I have that doesn't work is:
 1) fresh install of Manjaro 2) run sudo mhwd -a pci nonfree 0300 which installs Nvidia and Intel drivers 3) download your script as well as service 4) run script 5) reload desktop (Ctrl + Alt + Backspace) and now when all of that is done, all I get is a reduced resolution on my native screen (960x540) and no video output

ReplyQuote
terabyte25
(@terabyte25)
Oct 7, 2018 4:58 pm  
Posted by: Yukikaze
Posted by: kunparekh18

Hey!

Thanks in advance!

1. Link speed changes as part of power conservation, so as long as there are no crashes and it shows 2.0 on the render test, everything should be working as advertised. If you set PCIe to max power in the Windows Advanced Power Options, you can nail it to the Gen2 speeds.
2. Try it. If it Code 43s, then try nando's utility. Or just nuke all drivers with DDU and go back to 375.63.
3. I have 3DMark benchmarks of a T430s and a GTX1050Ti, here (bottom of post). Can't help you with Fortnite, I no longer have the 1050Ti, nor do I play it.
4. Try to use the delay switches on the GDC to see if you can force it boot past BIOS without the eGPU, then get it connected as the OS loads.
5. In my experience that is pretty much what happens. It needs to reallocate the PCIe resources to accommodate the card. If you don't want to power down, you can sleep/hibernate and connect the card. That may work.
6. In theory, Expresscard should expose both PCIe and USB, so that port should work, but the laptop might only enable one in a given time, auto detecting which one. Check BIOS for any relevant settings.
7. I had a horrible time with my T430s and Linux (Mint and Ubuntu). I eventually got it to work but only when the laptop screen was off and an external was connected. This was a while ago, so I don't really have more advice.

Hope this helps a bit.

That doesn't quite work for me.

ReplyQuote