Setup & Software Discussions
Trials tribulations an burning out my wifi card. Lenovo 510 laptop, Beast E GPU ...

Trials tribulations an burning out my wifi card. Lenovo 510 laptop, Beast E GPU and GTX 580 8GB.  

RSS

Zammo76
(@zammo76)

So I wanted to upgrade my laptop with an external gpu.

I assembled the following parts:

Lenovo Ideapad 510 with 8GB RAM and I7-6500U,
Beast E GPU Adapter Ngff version,
Radeon GTX 580 8GB RAM,
Enermax 420 Watt PSU.

I'd previously tested everything out using a cheap Geforce NVS 310 graphics card and had got it working by hot swapping the Wifi card and Ngff cable.

This morning, just after finishing a night shift and sleep deprived I tried to assemble everything. The first issue was the Radeon GTX 580 Graphics card once hooked up had its fans spinning with the Fan Stop light lit, which didn't seem right. 

I then attempted to hotswap it, but when I removed the wifi card to plug in the ngff cable the wifi card touched the laptops main board sparked and started smoking. I immediately removed the card and depowered everything. Fearing I'd fried my laptop, I restarted it and thankfully it seemed OK, however when I restarted it with the wifi card plugged in I found out I'd managed to fry the wifi card. This wasn't to big an issue as a new one is only £20, but I realized I didn't actually need one as this was being removed anyhow. As long as the laptop still allowed me to hotswap it would be fine. 

So I switched back to my cheap Nvidia NVS 310 card to test and after hotswapping this it worked. However when I did the same with the Radeon GTX 580 it wouldn't recognize the card in Device Manager, I tried a few times with no joy.

The only thing I can think is wrong is its powered up wrong, which is why the Fan Stop light is lit. ATM I have an eight pin cable plugged from the PSU into the E GPU Beast adapter. Then I have a 4 pin x2 to eight pin connector plugged from the PSU into the Radeon GTX 580. However on the instructions (which are written in Chinese) the photo is showing a 6 pin to 8 pin power connector going from the E GPU Beast adapter to the Graphics card. So I'm going to give this a try and have ordered the relevant cable on ebay.  

If this doesn't work I'm going to return the Radeon GTX 580 8GB and instead buy a Geforce 1060 6GB, as my system seems to play nice with Geforce cards.

This topic was modified 11 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mr.ribeiro
(@mr-ribeiro)
Eminent Member

Have better options than the EXP GDC 9.X, see on buyer's guide. Don't try hot swapping on M2 port, cuz isn't possible this cause a hard brick on your laptop same on Mpcie. Most recommended is a gtx 1060.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Zammo76
(@zammo76)

Hi

If I don't hotswap the graphics card doesn't show up. Lenovo seem to have built in some protection which only excepts the WiFi card, unless you trick it by hotswapping.

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
Zammo76
(@zammo76)

Got the power cable but no dice.

Tried everything to get the Radeon card working but everytime I hotswapped, the laptop screen went black and wouldn't power back unless I hard booted it. Then the graphics card wouldn't show up.

In the end I changed the PTD setting on the Beast and this time when I hotswapped the screen didn't go black and the laptop came out of sleep mode. However the graphics card was still not showing up in Device Manager. As I only had a limited time left before I could return the card I decided to call it quits and sent it back. I've now ordered a Geforce 1060 6GB hopefully I'll have more luck with this. I'm also probably going to buy Nandos E GPU setup app if I run into problems with the Geforce.

ReplyQuote
Usisseven
(@usisseven)

Did your pc detect the card in the device manager or nothing there?

ReplyQuote
Zammo76
(@zammo76)

I've since got an tried it with a Geforce 1060 6 GB, but still the same issue it won't recognize the card in device manager (but it detects the cheap Geforce card). 

All I could think was it to purchase Nando's E GPU 1.35 setup in the vain hope that'd help to detect the card and also hopefully remove the stupid Lenovo whitelist on the Ngff port, but have since found that I'm probably going to have to wipe my hard drive and re-install windows to get the software to run.

ReplyQuote
Zammo76
(@zammo76)

As an update to this. I purchased Nando's 1.35 E GPU setup and tried various different options on it to get the Geforce 1060 to show up but unfortunately nothing worked. However as soon as I plugged in the rubbish Geforce NVS 310, it instantly showed up.

I've tried hotswapping and all the other workarounds in this guide but no joy:

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adap

My last option is a friend has got a Geforce GTX 780, which is in the recommended range of Graphic cards for the Beast E GPU adapter, so I'm going to see if that shows up. Other than that I'm totally out of ideas. 

Some images.

Geforce NVS 310 (junk card) Setup and Nando's 1.35 Setup showing visibility for it: 

nvs screen
nvs310 setup

Geforce 1060 6GB Setup and Nando's 1.35 Setup showing no visibility for it:

1060 screen
1060 setup

ReplyQuote
Zammo76
(@zammo76)

I tried it with the Geforce GTX 780 and that didn't work either.

The last option is to test this on another laptop and see how I get on, but when I'll be able to do this is anyone's guess? 

I'm now pricing up Gaming Towers. 

ReplyQuote