Notifications
Clear all

[Working] Lenovo T430 + EXP-GDC Beast v8 EC + GTX1050 and some questions  

of  2
  RSS

alex.sg91
(@alex-sg91)

This is my working build:
T430 i5, 8GB ram, SSD, HD+ screen (1600x900)
Zotac 1050 2GB
EXP GDC Beast v8 ExpressCard
PSU Tacens 350w ITX form factor 
Windows 8.1 64 bit
Nvidia 375.70 driver

Everything is working fine on internal screen. Too bad that optimus eats its slice of performance, but can't help with that right?
I'm quite happy with this, sometimes I realize this is a laptop and really heavy games are running at 60fps....crazy

but....even a miracle like that is enough, so if someone wants to help me, I have some questions for more experienced builders:

-I'm using beast v8....is it EC2 compatible? can I improve my bandwidth to help with optimus performance? I have really bad performance loss with internal screen

-I tried Nvidia gamestreaming once....I can't remember which gpu I used (gtx760 or this 1050, anyway....) and it was smooth and fast, 100% good
now everytime I try so stream to my smartphone is laggy. with direct wifi, cable connection, h264, h265, anything....
do anyone have some experience with that? have nvidia updated geforce experience client dropping performance on such system? it worked once, so I'm blaming updates...only thing that comes to my mind

-Talking about Gamestream....Do you know if the image I get is a direct copy from the gpu buffer or a copy from intel screen? my laptop monitor has a very high lag input, I don't know if that lag affects streaming too

-oh yes, lag input....do you have that? is it the screen or gpu? any solution? besides vsync off

-Is there anything I could do to improve my system with egpu setup by nando? is working fine, don't know if necesary

I played much with this stuff, if you have any question about my build or other configurations....I'm here
I also tested x220, t420 with gtx 960, 760, 1050, 650ti and 1070

IMAG0282

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

Ciao vecchio,

Just be sure that your pci-e link is 1x v2.0, using GPU-Z opening the small 3D windows and checking the speed link when under load. Then prefer using an external screen instead the internal LCD. The performances on external display should be far far better than the internal, it is normal, since the data travel back and forth over a small 1x bandwidth when using the internal.

Aside this there is no way to get better bandwidth than that. Just be sure to have enough power for the card, rarely saw issues about it and keep your setup far from stuff that produce high EM noise, the cable is not super shielded and so could deteriorate the link stability/speed. 

After that is just be sure to have a good/light OS, without too much stuff in background that eat cpu and system resources producing produce fps drop and lag. The lag input you got could came also from the cpu, check it's load when gaming, if it keep it up with the game or is always at 80/100%.

You can use throttlestop to alleviate the cpu bottleneck, forcing it to be always full speed, changing also it's the TDP values. If you can't edit the TDP values and your cpu is constantly 100%, so cap his TDP. Downclock it a bit to remove his TDP throttle and also the framerate/frametime lag it produce, again with throttlestop.

On these setups, it is normal to get fps/frametime drop and lag, but if a setup work as it should, you should enjoy a constant 30/60fps gameplay with some laggy frames, if you got bad performances even lowering resolution/details, it mean there is a issue elsewhere.

Also, if you want, please create an implementation guide of your setup, in the other section, with a detailed "how to" for both laptops/gpu, and if you can a couple of pics and benchmarks. You can check the others thread as example.

Enjoy the games.^^

2012 13-inch Dell Latitude E6320 + R9 [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10
E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex.sg91
(@alex-sg91)

Posted by: wimpzilla

Ciao vecchio,

Just be sure that your pci-e link is 1x v2.0, using GPU-Z opening the small 3D windows and checking the speed link when under load. Then prefer using an external screen instead the internal LCD. The performances on external display should be far far better than the internal, it is normal, since the data travel back and forth over a small 1x bandwidth when using the internal.

Aside this there is no way to get better bandwidth than that. Just be sure to have enough power for the card, rarely saw issues about it and keep your setup far from stuff that produce high EM noise, the cable is not super shielded and so could deteriorate the link stability/speed. 

After that is just be sure to have a good/light OS, without too much stuff in background that eat cpu and system resources producing produce fps drop and lag. The lag input you got could came also from the cpu, check it's load when gaming, if it keep it up with the game or is always at 80/100%.

You can use throttlestop to alleviate the cpu bottleneck, forcing it to be always full speed, changing also it's the TDP values. If you can't edit the TDP values and your cpu is constantly 100%, so cap his TDP. Downclock it a bit to remove his TDP throttle and also the framerate/frametime lag it produce, again with throttlestop.

On these setups, it is normal to get fps/frametime drop and lag, but if a setup work as it should, you should enjoy a constant 30/60fps gameplay with some laggy frames, if you got bad performances even lowering resolution/details, it mean there is a issue elsewhere.

Also, if you want, please create an implementation guide of your setup, in the other section, with a detailed "how to" for both laptops/gpu, and if you can a couple of pics and benchmarks. You can check the others thread as example.

Enjoy the games.^^

oh! ciao carissimo.

So. I just checked GPUz and.....looks like I'm using EC1.1.........nice....very nice, now I have to find a better egpu support...kill me

I format my system every month to keep it light and I always try to keep my background clean...I'm kinda maniac
and now I'm going to look into throttlestop...thanks for the call

I will post my full experience (I also built a nice transparent plexiglass case). is there any way to edit posts? I can't find any edit button for OP

Do you know where I can find a ec2 enabled support? I can't find anywhere a beast v9

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
survfate
(@survfate)
Eminent Member

Posted by: alex.sg91

oh! ciao carissimo.

So. I just checked GPUz and.....looks like I'm using EC1.1.........nice....very nice, now I have to find a better egpu support...kill me

I format my system every month to keep it light and I always try to keep my background clean...I'm kinda maniac
and now I'm going to look into throttlestop...thanks for the call

I will post my full experience (I also built a nice transparent plexiglass case). is there any way to edit posts? I can't find any edit button for OP

Do you know where I can find a ec2 enabled support? I can't find anywhere a beast v9

Did you run the GPU-Z render test to make sure your card is already on load so you'll get the correct link speed?

2012 15" ASUS K55VJ (GT635M) [3rd,2C,M] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex.sg91
(@alex-sg91)

Oh god thank you guys....
so....PCI sets to 1.1 when gpu is idle.....and as I load render test it goes to 2.0
bandwidht problem is solved
Then I realized that if I launch game streaming service in game, when 2.0 already kicked in, it works smooth and fine. so I solved two problems today
thank you very much, you're the best
now, I don't know if that throttlestop thing is necessary....is it the same if I set 100% performance in energy saving settings?

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

If you didn't find any performances gain using Throttle stop, just do not use it.

I brought to you the most things i could, then like you did, test and check if useful.

I would advice you to use the performance plan while gaming and the balance/energy save for the rest.

E=Mc²

2012 15" Lenovo Thinkpad T530 [2nd,4C,Q] + R9 270X @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
alex.sg91
(@alex-sg91)

guys, I already asked....can I edit first post? to insert my implementation guide

ReplyQuote
wimpzilla
(@wimpzilla)
Honorable Member

You have the edit button on the bottom right of the post windows. Near the report/like/ect buttons.

E=Mc²

ReplyQuote
alex.sg91
(@alex-sg91)

about TOLUD size, I really don't know how to check that since I can't see any x0000000 value
italian language here, "complesso radice pci express" is pci bus....

tolud

Any help with my tolud size? thanks

ReplyQuote
spartan119
(@spartan119)

Hi I have a lenovo t420 standar (not s or p) whitout dedicate gpu,  only intel hd 3000 integrate and  bios vercion [83ET67WW - 1.37]. and i have a EXP GDC 8.4d with exprescard adapter, and 600w power supply, and i what to know if a "gtx 1050 ti" will work fine  and if I have to do some configurations to these video card to make it work and what controler vercion i should install.

Smile

ReplyQuote
 of  2